WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone remember Jack O'Connor?

Congrats on getting the shotgun verified as an O'Connor gun. Getting a written verification many times can be difficult in my research experience.

I got in a 270 Win barrel for a Rem 700 BDL to put together a custom 270 rifle build for myself. Alas, a friend whom did me a favor previously, needed a 270 Win for his son for a Christmas gift and could not find a 270 anywhere, seems like FL and the 270 do not match up too well. So I built the custom 270, I had in mind for me, for him as a gift for his son. He only needed it finished in 12 days. It shot a sub 1/2" group on the function test. He got the rifle and group, for the box, The only 270 Win I ever owned, if only for a day.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Great stories! My ultimate hunting round for Idaho is my .30-06 Ackley Improved. But after shooting a Jim Zahm .25-06 Model 70, it may become my new favorite.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Remember him? Heck I hunted with him.
    Well, not Jack but a young feller named John O'Conner.
    When I mentioned the Jack and the .270 he kind of gave me that "Huh?" look.

Boolit Master
    I remember him well.He did like the .270 which I do not. Why didn' Winchester just put a 7mm bullet in the '06 case and create a great cartridge instead of creating an odd ball like the .270 which is fading away. Oconner bragged about how the .270 could kill anything. When Elmer Kieth asked him if he ever shot an elk with a .270, Oconner was stuck because he had not. Hi wife had better sense; she wanted a 7mm.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I remember him well.He did like the .270 which I do not. Why didn' Winchester just put a 7mm bullet in the '06 case and create a great cartridge instead of creating an odd ball like the .270 which is fading away. Oconner bragged about how the .270 could kill anything. When Elmer Kieth asked him if he ever shot an elk with a .270, Oconner was stuck because he had not. Hi wife had better sense; she wanted a 7mm.
    https://www.boone-crockett.org/270-a...is%20cartridge.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...opics/443630/1

Millions of hunters will be shocked to find that the 270 Winchester is Fading away ! LOL

Boolit Master

My first elk was shot with a .257 Roberts using 117gr Noslers. Dropped like a rock with one shot. A .270 is entirely adequate for elk.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    My first 4 elk, several deer, 4 antelope, and first black bear were all killed with the model 721 Remington 270 that my grandfather gave me. I don't recall feeling under gunned. Perhaps it was a sense that JOC had been there before.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

As a young boy I got a subscription to Outdoor Life and Jack O'conners articles were the first thing I'd turn to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123