Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Range Report CZ 600 Alpha 6.5 CM, thoughts on the rifles design

Boolit Master

Range Report CZ 600 Alpha 6.5 CM, thoughts on the rifles design

I recently bought a CZ 600 Alpha on sale in 6.5 CM, at KYGunco.com. They had them on sale for $499 with a $100 rebate, free shipping to your local FFL and no credit card fees. I had a Vortex 6.5x20x44mm with BDC reticle I slapped on it, and loaded up 20 rds of a tried and true load of 41grs Varget behind a 95 gr V Max Hornady bullet. First shot at 25 yds was 3/4" left, so I clicked it over and went to 100 yds. First shot was 4" high, and 3 more shots had it zeroed. I shot two 5 shot groups and ran out of light, one was slightly over 1/2" the other in the high .3's. This morning it was cold, but at 10 am, i went out and shot two, 3 shot groups. I am only shooting 3 shot groups, because I am planning on using this as a truck/utv rifle, and will seldom shoot over one or two shots in a row, a hunting rifle. First group was .490, and I shot one shot prematurely, 2nd group was .345. I stopped with a few rounds left in case a coyote shows up on my daily rounds. The rifles trigger broke at #1.60, consistently, out of the box. Before shooting I cleaned the oil and grease out of the bore. The bolt has a short throw, and glides back and forth effortlessly, and comes with a bolt takedown tool. I like the innovative bolt release on the rear right side of the receiver bridge, the pica-tinny rail milled on the top of the receiver. The safety I really like also, as it is a push button at the back of the tang, push it straight down is off, push it up from behind the trigger guard is on. Barrel is threaded for a suppressor or brake, I dont see either one going on it. The ergonomic stock design, a silhouette style helps dampen recoil I feel. You can squeeze the stock up to touch the barrel, but I dont see the barrel touching the stock in any normal hunting/shooting situation. All in all, I feel like you get your moneys worth more than any rifle I have shot in a long time, and I shoot a lot of different rifles mounting scopes and zeroing them for folks. On a average year I shoot between 4000-5000 rounds of center fire ammo, doing this and shooting single shot rifles on a daily basis except for Sunday. Just thought I would share this info, in case any of you might be in the market for one. A final note, this rifle impressed me enought, that I bit the bullet and bought another one in 30-06 just because I currently dont have a rifle in that caliber, and I beleive everyone needs at least on 30-06 in their life. It will be wearing a brake.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting the report.
    Don Verna

Good review, Sam.
    And good shooting!

Does it have a two or three lug bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It actually has a six lug bolt

I haven't done quite THAT good with my .308 600 Alpha, but it seems to do the job quite nicely, light and handy rifle.

A word to those buying one or unaware, follow the instructions to the letter when removing/replacing the bolt - that little tool to recock it to get in is handy, if you screw it up, but it's still a pain. Thanks for reminding me that mine hasn't seen sunshine in several months, time to let it out to play.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I haven't done quite THAT good with my .308 600 Alpha, but it seems to do the job quite nicely, light and handy rifle.

A word to those buying one or unaware, follow the instructions to the letter when removing/replacing the bolt - that little tool to recock it to get in is handy, if you screw it up, but it's still a pain. Thanks for reminding me that mine hasn't seen sunshine in several months, time to let it out to play.
    You rifle is shooting pretty dang good, a brake might help it. I ordered another one in 30/06, did not currently have a rifle in that caliber, so I ordered one and a brake off of E*** for $21. I had put the same brake on a friends 06 a couple of years ago, and it tamed it right down, recoil about like a .243.

Boolit Master

I'm glad to see that they at least seem to shoot well. I really need to meet one of these CZ 600's in person and give it a fair shake. At the moment, I am in the camp of those BITTERLY disappointed that they discontinued the entire line of Mauser-descended 527 and 550 rifles (including the Safari models) and went to pinned-in barrels on their rimfires. We've been getting lesser-build rifles for the same money since the 1960's, and CZ was about the last holdout for a quasi-military-grade sporter that still fit a working man's paycheck.

Been thinking I might sell off my 550's, but I'll probably wait a couple months until I can swap straight across for a low-mileage Ferrari F430.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I am curious about the aluminum receivers. Sleeved or some kind of special alloy.

Was also disappointed they stopped selling the 'swap barrel' version.

I was also considering one of the mauser action models for a build but now prices will sky rocket.

I like the older 'rounded' Ferrari's. Dino was probably the last of the kind (and technically it was not a Ferrari). Unfortunately a P3/4, GTO, original Testarossa are all many millions now.

The swap barrel problem was a safety issue, unfortunately. I also miss my CZ 527M very much...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I am curious about the aluminum receivers. Sleeved or some kind of special alloy.

Was also disappointed they stopped selling the 'swap barrel' version.

I was also considering one of the mauser action models for a build but now prices will sky rocket.

I like the older 'rounded' Ferrari's. Dino was probably the last of the kind (and technically it was not a Ferrari). Unfortunately a P3/4, GTO, original Testarossa are all many millions now.
    The bolt locks up in the recessed barrel, I am pretty sure, that way the aluminum reciever is a non factor. It only serves to guide the bolt/cartridge into the barrel and the receiver is supporting the scope. What ever they did, it works. A buddy of mine bought the same rifle, and is getting the same sub 1/2" groups I am, with a tried and true handload he was shooting in his Christianson Arms.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I wonder why they had trouble with swap barrels? Makes rebarreling a PITA. Probably have to buy them from the mfg. Does allow them to control quality and seems like they are doing OK at that.

Judging by the latest American Rifleman, you can get the same rifle with “COLT”stamped on it for a mere $500 more!
    Such a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the swap barrel issue is, reportedly, rumored, that a round could be fired while the barrel is off the action. Obviously, CZ-UB didn't expect anyone to be THAT stupid, but we have some wild lawyers here...

Boolit Master
    I almost spit my coffee on that one. If a lawyer had not sued over it (and probably settled) it would be even funnier. Worth a Darwin award anyway.