Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oven Thermoniter's

Boolit Master
    Walmart sells a digital meat thermometer for pretty cheap. It's got a thermocouple in a stainless steel probe with a braided stainless jacket over the wires. I test it's relative accuracy in boiling water. Just snake the cord through the door, set the alarm to your bake temp and start the timer when the alarm goes off. Turn off the alarm and monitor the temp visually. I use one to set the digital controls of customer's ovens.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 12-02-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master

Diff'rent strokes for different folks. When I began PC, I bought a decent (Taylor) bi-metallic oven thermometer, checked it in our kitchen oven against my wife's baking thermometer...did I mention that she's a prize-winning pie/cake chef...used red nail polish to mark the thermostat dial of my toaster oven for an actual 420 degrees and have been using that setting for about 5 years. Yes, I check the oven temp every time as part of my set-up and, using Smoke's Clear, haven't had a bad batch yet.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Umm, thermometer? I use a $5 Godwill toaster over, set on toast, 20 minutes...works perfectly every time.

I have a Hamiton Beach toaster oven I bought new, I'm cheap so you know it did not cost too much.
    Never used an external thermometer and so far, I haven't had any problems.

Boolit Master
    Check your altitude vs boiling point, like Minerat said, water does not always boil at 212*. When I lived at 8700 ft it was more like 185*. Even ' high altitude' recipes are mostly for 5000'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have a Hamiton Beach toaster oven I bought new, I'm cheap so you know it did not cost too much.
    Never used an external thermometer and so far, I haven't had any problems.
    Cheap, cheap you dont know cheap. I paid $2.77 cents for my toaster oven brand new. LOL Black Friday clearance deal at lowes. If being honest I have bake bullets to death in it. I think I would like a PID in the future. I was not lucky on the oven it gets flaming hot.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Be very careful of electric oven heating elements, especially exposed elements. You might set the temperature of the oven to 400F but the red hot heating elements are way above the melting point of lead. Good ovens have a shield under the heating element, cheap ones like my $19 Walmart oven have a directly exposed heating element. An oven may very well keep a 400F temperature, but the actual temperature your bullets are exposed to can make them slump. If your oven has an exposed heating element, make sure your bullets are not directly exposed to the heating element. Either make a shield or use another tray to to shield the heating element.

Boolit Mold
    Instant Read Meat Thermometer Deep Fry Thermometer Oven Thermometer with Dial Thermometer(10-290℃/50-550℉) for Turkey BBQ Grill Oil by AikTryee. $7.97 on Amazon. Drill a hole thru top of your oven, and put the thermometer in and you're done!

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Thermo...889852&sr=8-87

Boolit Bub
    I have found that if the PC gets shiny for about 10-12 minutes it all appears to be fine.

I found where my bullets slump in my cheap oven, then stay below that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12