Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Did I destroy my powder & primers?

Boolit Master

Did I destroy my powder & primers?

I pulled j-word bullets from some .357 Sig ammo I made up. I used load data from Lyman’s #49, but my 124 grain bullet was made by a different company… so the max published charge for Enforcer is too hot by 0.5 grains minimum. Aside from the bullet change, I used magnum primers.
    On to why I think I ruined the powder & primers:
    1) The powder was so compressed that it was embedded into the soft lead at the base of the j-word bullet. I’m not sure if that means some powder was pressed a bit flat. When ball powder gets pressed flat, it burns faster.
    2) Powder has been stuffed into the primer pocket. I don’t know what would happen if I used these primers that are already packed with powder. How many tenths of a grain can you stuff into a primer cup?
    So my plan is to dump the powder into the garden, fill the brass with water for a day, and then discard the primers. I figured I would check in with experienced folks to see if I am being overly cautious. It’s only 25 rounds, so no big deal. The j-words and brass are still useable.

I'd re-use the primed brass. Just stay well away from max. loads.
    Or better yet, slowly and carefully punch out the primers and save them for something they were intended for.

I've salvaged some primers.
    It made me a little nervous, so as the press was going up, I covered it with a heavy towel.
    I never set one off, but if it happened, the towel should catch anything jumping out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Ive seen comment about powder blocking flash holes .....IMHO ,its nonsense .......the primer explosion has been measured at around 40,000 psi and 3000deg F max .

I would reuse the primers. I would think giving a couple taps of the case mouth against the bench would remove all the powder that is packed into the flash hole, if not, I'd de-prime them and reuse them. I've de-primed hundreds of live primers without an issue personally.

Not to say that eventually, you won't have a primer go off, but if you're prepared for it, it isn't that bad. I've had them go off when using a Lee Classic Loader. The wife hates the Lee Classic Loader...
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

There are many loads out there that are designed as compressed loads. If yours is one if them then fire them. If not then I agree remove the powder, tap the cases on the bench then reload them.

Boolit Master
    There is no easy way to inactivate primers, water surely won’t.
    Depriming them on the press, wearing eye and hearing protection, with a slow smooth stroke will get them out. It’s a little nerve wracking, but as winger_ed suggests, doing it under a towel will help contain things even if one pops.

I wonder if you could use a compressed air blow gun and clean the inside of the brass to get the powder out of the primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd re-use the primed brass. Just stay well away from max. loads.
    Or better yet, slowly and carefully punch out the primers and save them for something they were intended for.

I've salvaged some primers.
    It made me a little nervous, so as the press was going up, I covered it with a heavy towel.
    I never set one off, but if it happened, the towel should catch anything jumping out.
    I agree with what Ed said here. I would also agree with using a compressor to blow out the case before reloading, if that is what you choose.

I have used a Lee Universal de-primer to remove live primers in the past. I will raise the case all the way up and than slowly screw in the de-priming pin until the primer pops out.

One other thing, you never said which powder you were using. A half grain of Titegroup or Bullseye can make a much bigger difference than a half grain of Unique or 2400.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Vendor Sponsor

Depriming live primers is a serious safety issue and health risk. I would blow the cases out with air and load them lesser than a max load.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Reloaders can be cheap...too cheap.

I am guilty as charged, having deprimed a few live primers. In hindsight, it was a silly thing to do. Never did more than 20 at a time and back then I saved less than a buck. Today, 20 primers might cost $2.

If I had a few hundred to do, I would wear a face shield. Some primers are seated more snugly than others and tougher to push out. But IMO apply slow pressure should not set them off. Emphasis on "should".
    Don Verna