Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MEC 16 reprime stem

Boolit Master

MEC 16 reprime stem

I need measurements on a 16 gauge reprime punch for 600jr reloader. Can anyone measure their reprime punch on the 600jr for me and give me the length, and the diameter at the top and the diameter at the bottom where it goes into the hull. Thanks in advance, james

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Do you mean the “deprime punch”?

Length sticking out of the carrier is .585
    Circumference is .19

Broken punch?
    Last edited by Hamish; 11-26-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

No, the reprime stem/punch that seats a new primer. james

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	320351

No. 16, the primer cup, has a welded in, stepped post in it. There is no separate punch. All gauges use the same primer cup, spring, and primer pad.

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	320352

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	320353

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-parts#44

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

My bad on the description. It is the #60 part on the diagram of parts. In 16 gauge they have a letter to designate gauge, like 60a, b, c, etc. The site does not allow you to correct the titles once submitted. I saw the error but it was too late. james

Boolit Master

Ok James now we are getting somewhere. That’s my fault for not looking at the entire parts list and looking for that phrase. Will take measurements and draw it out in the morning!

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	320384

Boolit Master

Thank you very much Hamish. That is the measurement I needed and what I wanted to do will not even come close. I have a MEC 400 Super Speed in 16 gauge but somewhere along the line of my Father using it and loaning it to a fried, the 16 gauge primer seating punch got switched to a 12 gauge and I thought maybe a MEC 600jr part would work. Looks like it will not, this 400 punch is only 2.878" in length where your drawing shows the 600jr and 3.40". That's a whopping .522" difference. Of course the 12 gauge diameter is way too big to start with, that is the reason I have put about 18 hours off and on trying to sand the diameter down to fit the 16 but have not gotten it more than halfway down in diameter so far. I don't have a lath or anything to turn the 12 with, so I have been trying to hand sand with sandpaper in a padded vice and it is slow going and eating up sandpaper fast. That metal is very, very hard. I guess I will just have to have a machine shop turn the 12 gauge down to fit a 16 gauge size if I can find a machine shop in this area that will do such a small job. Most work on auto high output engines and don't like to fool with things like this. Thanks also to the guys who tried to help. james

Boolit Master

James, I’m not so sure that the extra half inch of a 600jr reprime punch couldn’t be adjusted to work on the 400 by adjusting the deprime punch and shot/powder tube down.

Boolit Master

It could not be adjusted to compensate. That is why I said I would have to modify the original 12 gauge priming punch for the 400. All it will need is to turn it down to a proper fit for the 16 gauge. It needs to go from .672 to .650 diameter to fit the 16. james