Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Prayer Request and Praise

Prayer Request and Praise

The prayer request:

I hit a deer on the way home this evening. We'd been to the Christmas Parade in our small town. I hit what was probably a 6 point buck while I was going 50 miles an hour. I slammed on the brakes, but didn't stop. I quickly assessed the situation; car still running, nothing weird on the light panel, still had headlights. So I continued about 2 miles to the closest store which we were planning to stop at anyways. I got out and checked and seen the damage. Popped the hood but didn't immediately see any radiator damage, but the temperature was fluctuating on the last 4-5 miles home.

After a bit I gave it another look, and seen a little puddle underneath. Popped the hood and fluid everywhere. My first impression is, it's probably a small crack in the radiator itself. Further inspection during daylight hours will to have verify this. If that is the case, I'm thinking I might be able to open it up and JBweld the crack. We'll see what it is though.

Radiator and grill are moved back 2" from their original position.

The praise:

It could have been a whole lot worse. I could have been killed via a bloody antler/windshield concoction. We could have had both lights taken out and had to try to nurse it to the store in the dark. It could be so badly damaged that there is no chance of patching it up. I was able to drive it back home, so we weren't stranded along a stretch of dark country road.

I know God has a plan, though I don't know what it is. And my first thought was Praise God! that it wasn't worse.

Thanks for all the prayers, and for listening.

Last edited by Bazoo; 11-26-2023 at 08:33 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master
    Part of His plan is to give us challenges.

Glad to hear you made it through the accident without serious injury. Cars are things, and it looks like you will get yours running without too much pain in the pocket. When I hit two deer at the same time, the car was totaled. I was glad to get out uninjured.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I am thankful you are okay, I pray God gives you the right shop to fix your vehicle and to give you a spirit of rejoicing that I see you are in.

Boolit Master

I share your pain. Praise God for safety. A couple of years ago I hit a deer, drove away with no leaks on one headlight. Insurance Co totaled the car, I kept it for about $300 reduction in payout. Another $500 or so and my labor put it back on the road, including a new radiator for just over $100. I sold the salvaged fan assembly for enough to make the radiator cost about $100 even. It ain't pretty, but it starts, goes and brings me home.
    If you want to try the JB Weld, go for it. A new radiator might be another alternative.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I think he throws roadblocks/slowdowns our way so we miss the giant mishap that was going to happen ahead and kill us.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Thanks all. I agree that sometimes a little setback could be just saving us from something we couldn't have foretold. I am thankful though it wasn't worse. It could have killed me if the deer had come through the windshield.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

The biggest thing is you are okay and able to function. The vehicle can be fixed or replaced not a big deal in scheme of things.

Most radiators cooling systems operate at 16-18 psi ( this helps raise the boiling point). Coupled with the antifreeze JB weld may not be as good as needed. There are some low temp aluminum solders that might be a better choice if there is a crack.The big thing will be getting the joint clean and dry for the repair to bond correctly. Also check the over flow tank and hose they are weaker than the radiator and my be damaged instead.

Deer and livestock on the roads can be very dangerous and can get real expensive, from personal experience.
    Sad thing is many times you do not see a deer at night, then in a flash they are in front of you.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Bazoo, You are for sure lucky and bringing out the positive first tells a lot about you! Like you we live in a rural setting and cows, hogs, deer, and host of other critters are always a concern.....hope ya get the car running and thank God for your lack of injuries or worse!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Prayers sent. Bazoo, your sharing is inspirational. Two years ago a tornado roared through our area. Many homes where destroyed, one in particular about two miles from me was decimated, but in the driveway was a chair with a sign in it that said, "BLESSED". The house was gone, but the family was intact and alive! Many lives where lost in Tennessee and Kentucky that night, and many more where blessed. I'm glad y'all are unscathed!

Boolit Master

Thanks be to God for your protection and giving you a right attitude.

Thanks all, I appreciate all the prayers and thoughts.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Glad to hear you are okay. The car seems to be repairable.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I was able to tear into it a little bit today. The radiator has a hole where it sheared off the top bracket. It appears I could access it, clean it, and patch it with JBweld without much trouble. The radiator is plastic by the way. I appreciate all the prayers.

Praise God it looks like an easy patch to get to where I have a drivable car again.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Bazoo, I'm thanking God for you dodging a close call. It sounds like the car fix is within reach. Praise God for His mercy and grace.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Bazoo, I'm thanking God for you dodging a close call. It sounds like the car fix is within reach. Praise God for His mercy and grace.
    Amen.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Thank God y’all are OK
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Radiator fixed? Maybe i can help.

Thanks for all the prayers.

I will probably figure out a way to attach the grill for looks... A friend suggested zipties.

Thanks for asking sheepdog, I was able to clean and patch the cracked area of the radiator. I put a hairdryer on it as it was quite chilly that day. Left it on half the night until I went to bed. It did fix the major crack, which was horseshoe shaped.

Upon letting it get hot and come up to pressure, there is another spot leaking next to it where the plastic ends meet the metal, from under the rolled metal edge. I drove 2 miles up the road and back and it didn't appear to get worse.

I've now driven it to town several times keeping an eye on it, and it appears to be a very minor leak of just a few drops. You can see it's wet in this picture. I don't know if it'll get worse or if it'll continue like this for the life of the vehicle.

I appreciate any advice I can get. Thank's everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

Lead Alloy Calculator