Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: would not have thought about it.

Boolit Buddy

would not have thought about it.

I have been hunting with my 450 bushmaster. The rifle is a a bear creek arsenal. The ammo hornady black. I have been out about 10 times and each time after the unsuccessful hunt, I would unload the rifle and replace the bullet back into the magazine. After the last hunt I ejected the bullet and the bullet was long. I can now push the bullet back into or pull the bullet back out with ease. My guess is that is the bolt slamming the bullet into the chamber has started to work like a kinetic bullet puller. My saving grace is I did not dump powder.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I have been hunting with my 450 bushmaster. The rifle is a a bear creek arsenal. The ammo hornady black. I have been out about 10 times and each time after the unsuccessful hunt, I would unload the rifle and replace the bullet back into the magazine. After the last hunt I ejected the bullet and the bullet was long. I can now push the bullet back into or pull the bullet back out with ease. My guess is that is the bolt slamming the bullet into the chamber has started to work like a kinetic bullet puller. My saving grace is I did not dump powder.
    I'm glad (happy for you!) all ended well and you caught/found this! I had a similar experience, with bullet kinetically being pushed out enough to create a jam-a-matic in spades in the rifle and a quite costly trip to a gunsmith. As there was a "live round" involved, he charged me NINETY dollars to get it out -- and, I'm talking early 1980's dollars!
    geo

Boolit Master
    My 1911 'defense' loads would go through that sequence when I took it to the range. The first round would get chambered and ejected a lot. One day I looked at it and the bullet was shoved back in the case.

Boolit Master
    redriver,

I tend to think the bullet crimp was defective. I would convey my concerns to Hornady and let them sort it all out.
    Be well.

Adam

I would say it has been loaded and unloaded too much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I would say it has been loaded and unloaded too much.
    Sir,
    Point well taken, BUT the ammo should NOT come apart before firing. Cycling ammo through a gun should not result in ammo falling apart, IHMO. Just saying.
    Be well.
    Adam

Boolit Master
    Ammunition is made to be chambered and fired. If you pound on it enough times it will fail.

With it headspacing on the case mouth, are the Hornady rounds taper crimped?
    Perhaps not enough crimp then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    redriver,

I tend to think the bullet crimp was defective. I would convey my concerns to Hornady and let them sort it all out.
    Be well.

Adam
    They might ask to inspect the rounds but they might also tell you not to chamber it over and over again.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the lee factory crimp on my bullets. I now know to watch them and we will see how it goes.

Banned
    I have had set back on winchester made 150 grain JHP in 30-30 from cycling it to much. I have a feeling that the factory crimp is not meant to last long.

Boolit Master
    I think this is good heads up and I appreciate the OP bringing it to our attention. While we can speculate as to the cause it is still something we need to be aware of whether the ammo is defective or not.

Chambering a semi-auto is bad enough but a heavy bullet will make the situation worse.

I sold off my last semi-auto a couple months ago, but not for this reason....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    I do not expect the crimp to hold the bullet. I try to use only enough crimp to remove any flare needed to seat the projectile into the case. I depend on neck tension to hold bullets in place.

I have very limited experience with self loading firearms but a fair bit of experience with bolt and lever action rifles and more experience with revolvers.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe why military ammo uses adhesive as well as crimping.

I had a cast bullet stick in the lands and powder dump on a bolt gun. Was a plinking load and I had not crimped as an experiment in neck tension and accuracy. Crimp all cast loads past just removing the flair now. Have add 44 mag cartridges lengthen with firing as well. Again it was my bad for not using a hard crimp.

Since that 450 round headspaces off the case mouth, they likely can't use a deep crimp. So that round shouldn't be hammered back and forth.

You are just going to have to hunt areas with a higher success rate.
    Last edited by clearwater; 01-27-2024 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The asphaltic varnish on military rounds is more sealant than glue. Its meant to seal out moisture.

A lot of rounds for semi autos and even some others have a channulere at the base of the bullet this makes a shoulder for the base to sit on and hold it in place. Neck tension should be enough and the crimp used to retard bullet movement to get solid ignition.

Neck wall thickness affects tension a small change in wall thickness doubles the change in tension. This is why most dies size to small and the expander opens them back up.