WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Why CFE then .223 or 300AAC, or Pistol

Boolit Master

Why CFE then .223 or 300AAC, or Pistol

Recently I was looking at Hodgdon powders for reloading.

When I looked to buy I found there was one for pistol, another for cartridges like 300 blackout, and then another for the .223 Rem.

I am assuming these are three separate powders. But why the CFE(r) Blk name for all three powders. If they are different powders, it sounds like a very bad accident waiting to happen due to the similarity of labels. When listed in the loading tables only the CFE(r) Blk and it is only by further research that I found out that there seem to be three different powders.
    They offer some good velocities at decent pressures.
    Below is how they are listed.
    Step 4
    Powder

CFE BLK
    H110
    Lil'Gun
    Trail Boss

I see the CFE is supposed to Copper Fouling Eraser

By the way are these hodgdon claims of good velocity at safe pressures true over varying temp extremes?

Boolit Master

CFE-Pistol
    CFE-223
    CFE-BLK
    are three different powders with different burn rates.

Naming convention is not much different than

IMR4198
    IMR4350
    IMR4831
    IMR7828

just make sure the powder name on the bottle matches the powder data in the book.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    CFE-Pistol
    CFE-223
    CFE-BLK
    are three different powders with different burn rates.

Naming convention is not much different than

IMR4198
    IMR4350
    IMR4831
    IMR7828

just make sure the powder name on the bottle matches the powder data in the book.
    The problem the book or hodgdon reloading site does not mention the last and essential part of the name and it is only when I was checking pricing that noticed. At first I was wondering how that powder could cover such a range until I found it was different powders. Like I said it is a very bad accident waiting for someone that does not know.

Boolit Master

Looking at a few cartridges on the h
    Hodgdon reloading site, they listed CFE 223 and CFE Pistol correctly under the load data. Not saying that someone didn't leave off the 223, Pistol or Blk by mistake, but I have not seen evidence of that yet.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 11-25-2023 at 07:31 AM.

And on the powder containers themselves, they are also color-coded. Pistol is Green, Blackout is yellow on black, .223 (rifle) is blue. They also state on the containers that they are either pistol, rifle or Blk. Thus, even a novice new loader should be astute enough to understand they are different and that load data for "CFE" is not universal for all of them and that should cause them to pause and check.

They are all excellent choices for their designed applications, by the way, and I use all 3 of them.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Grand Master

Could it be that your phone or tablet was truncating the columns when viewing the data on Hodgdon's site?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Could it be that your phone or tablet was truncating the columns when viewing the data on Hodgdon's site?
    I have a 24 inch computer, but I only know what I saw. Maybe something is poorly configured on my screen. Anyway when looking at the catalog I eventually saw all three powders and figured it out. I was thinking of ordering and the worst would have been if I did not know and ordered the wrong powder and then saw the caliber marking telling me I had ordered the wrong powder.
    Right I am inventorying my powders that I have before ordering some more. There is a black friday sale on at Hodgdon powder at the moment. So considering possible future antigun&antiammo laws, I see now that stocking a few more pounds of powder might be wise. It is mainly the full size rifle powders that use so much of a 1lb can. In some cases I will have figure out just how much I actually save considering primer, bullet, and powder. Especially in .308.

Boolit Grand Master

I wasn’t questioning that you saw what you reported. I was just trying to think of a reason that the powder names were truncated. It seems to be a pretty big mistake and a serious liability problem.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I wasn’t questioning that you saw what you reported. I was just trying to think of a reason that the powder names were truncated. It seems to be a pretty big mistake and a serious liability problem.
    I think because of the programmer and data entry people not understanding much about gun powders or reloading.

That would be terrible to burst a gun because of a publisher's mistake.

The truncation could something as simple (and local) as the display magnification on your screen. Not anything the website has any control over. My old Windows XP adjusts this with [ctrl]+ to increase and [ctrl]- to decrease. How later versions do this I can't say. If it's an Apple, I know nothing.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The truncation could something as simple (and local) as the display magnification on your screen. Not anything the website has any control over. My old Windows XP adjusts this with [ctrl]+ to increase and [ctrl]- to decrease. How later versions do this I can't say. If it's an Apple, I know nothing.
    I am in the middle now of doing an order and still truncated and I hope that I am getting right one. From the shopping cart. Heck of a way to do business.

Hodgdon
    Hodgdon CFE® BLK

Size:
    1 lb

Change

Discount of 20% almost pays for the shipping.

Subtotal $215.94
    Discount -$43.18
    Shipping $47.27
    Tax $15.39

It is going UPS ground 10-15 days on the shipping.

From the actual order confirmation
    Hodgdon CFE® BLK
    (Size: 1 lb)
    BLACK1

The 'black' likely means 300 blackout I hope.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 11-25-2023 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Copper Fouling Eraser (cfe) , it is a series of powder that has an additive to reduce copper fouling. Cfe223 is a medium speed rifle powder designed for 223/556. Cfeblk is a slow pistol powder marketed around the 300 blackout. Cfe pistol is a medium/fast pistol powder for pistol calibers like the 9mm, 40 s&w etc. Hope that helps your selection process.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyp View Post
    Copper Fouling Eraser (cfe) , it is a series of powder that has an additive to reduce copper fouling. Cfe223 is a medium speed rifle powder designed for 223/556. Cfeblk is a slow pistol powder marketed around the 300 blackout. Cfe pistol is a medium/fast pistol powder for pistol calibers like the 9mm, 40 s&w etc. Hope that helps your selection process.
    It does ok in the 7.62x39
    29.7 2,554 40,500 CUP for 125 grain bullet with 24"" barrel

I once chronographed some chinese ammo out of a 20 inch SKS and got that velocity with a 20'' barrel.

Boolit Master
    barnetmill have a look at lilgun for the x39mm it does rather well....

Lil'Gun was the best powder of the ones I tried in a .357 Max 12" Gen 1 Contender. I didn't pursue it very far though. That cartridge is too much for the original Contender frame. And that was before the CFE powders came out.

Seems to me that the guys who shoot a couple hundred rounds of high pressure ammo a day at prairie dogs without cleaning would get the most benefit from it. Or maybe the semi-auto "mag dump" crowd.
    Cognitive Dissident

CFE does work well in the 6.8 SPC wildcats, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, etc., in the AR -15 platform, has the right pressure curve. Do not own a single grain, of it myself but the load data with groups sizes, on MDWS, is impressive, in the AR platform. Have a good bit of AA-1680 and 844, the bulk version of H-335, plus H-110 so never bought any CFE for my own use.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers