RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 360 Buckhammer

360 Buckhammer

Just picked up a Henry in 360 Buckhammer. Planning on getting the Lee copy of the RCBS 200 gr. RNFP for hunting loads and using 158 gr. pistol boolits for target/plinking loads. There is some data from Hodgdon here: https://1895gunner.com/loaddata/table%20360BH.html

Looks like 1680 and CFE BLK are the top choices for this caliber with some Lil' Gun and 4227 loads as well. I don't have any of those (I might have less than a half pound of some 4227 and Lil' Gun) but I do have several pounds of H4198 and Reloader 7, which are pretty close to the 1680 and CFE BLK.

It seems to me that the 360 case capicity would be very close to the 357 Herrett. I see 357 Herrett data in several loading manuals (Sierra, Hornady, IMR) that I have with these three powders. The one powder that I see data in both calibers is 4227. With 180 and 200 gr. bullets the data shows about 3 grains more for the 360 for both starting and max. loads.

Would it make sense to use the Herrett data as a starting point for 360 loads with the H4198, Reloader 7?

I replaced my 357 Herrett Contender barrel with a Buckhammer about a year ago.
    The 360 has about .10" less freebore than the Herrett, so is much more accurate with cast.
    Case capacity is almost identical, with 360 cases formed from 30-30 holding .1 grain more water than the Herrett.
    Factory 360 brass is thicker near the web than 30-30, so capacity would be slightly less than that.

I'm getting great results with IMR4227 Herrett loads. Naturally, I won't be working up charges due to the limits of the Contender frame.

Hope that helps.

Tom, thanks for the info! Nice to hear from someone who has actually worked with the caliber. Sounds like my observations were spot on about the Herrett and 360 being almost identical. I would definitely like to hear more about loads you've tried, etc. Especially any target/plinking type loads. I want to work up some loads around 1,000 fps with 158 plain based pistol bullets and powders.

My dies arrived today so I did some more case forming. The only 35 cal. expander I have is the expander die in an RCBS 357 mag. set. The expander is just long enough to expand the necks to 35 when the case mouth hits the flaring portion of the die. After sizing in the 360 sizing die, there is a barely perceptible portion right at the old neck/shoulder junction that is not quiet fully necked out. I'm sure it will iron out once loaded/fired. I have ordered a 35 cal. expander/decapper assembly to be able to fully expand the necks in the future.

I haven't created a great deal of load data; I started with IMR4227 as the logical powder choice, and 27 grains of that powder launches a 180 grain Hornady XTP at 1900fps into 2" 100 yd groups from my 10" barrel.

I designed Accurate mold #36-180Q for my pistol, with the front band engaging the rifling leade upon chambering when loaded to COAL 2.233".
    25 grns IMR4227 produces the same velocity and accuracy. That's my plinking load.

Boolit Master
    The 360 BH does appear to have similar case capacity as the 357 Herrett, but the allowed pressure is a good bit higher at 50,000 psi as compared to 35,000 psi.

I have tried using Quickload with the 360 BH, but have been getting poor results matching up with test data. It keeps predicting pressures and velocities much higher than test data would indicate.

However, as far as powder applicability, it is indicating that H4198 and RL7 are good choices with a 200 gr bullet.

P Flados, yeah comparing data for the two cartridges it appears there is room to go up from Herrett loads. Another thing I am considering is reformed 30-30 brass is not as thick in the web as 360 brass apparently. So, it might be wise not to push reformed brass to the top end of 360 data. Testing the limits of reformed brass is way outside my wheelhouse anyway.

I have read that Quickload has difficulty with straight wall calibers.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I got a trimming jig that works with the little Harbor Freight chop saw. Got it here: https://gun-guides.com/products/Perf...JIG-c155478250
    I have used a similar one in the past for cutting down 223 to make 300 BLK brass. I would hate to trim more than a few cases down that much without it.

Boolit Master
    Cutting down cases with a tubing cutter can be an option. I used this method to make 300 BO from 223/5.56.