Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: first deer on my land

first deer on my land

doe down. first deer taken on my 7 acre property in south west saginaw county. not the biggest doe i’ve taken but, not the smallest. First time ever taking deer in consecutive years. 2nd year in a row using my hand loads for my RAR .450. Hopefully next year i can say my first with cast bullets

i had a clean miss on a doe embarrassingly close sunday. It was my fault. i got into a hurry didn’t hold the gun right.

around 9:30 i saw the big doe on the nieghbor’s property she was heading my way heading west. she ended up not coming in to my side of the tree line. she instead winding me and took off. i was like “ shoot i knew the nw wind wasn’t going to be good). I decided to stick it out.

20-30 minutes later i look up and 45ish yards from me. 2 more does are coming from due south in the direction i’m looking. I brought my .450 bush master scope up on the lead doe and than this doe jumped out in front. she was quartering towards me with her chest facing me. I put my cross hairs middle low on her chest. pulled the trigger bullet entered her front chest and exited behind her front leg. she fell into the what’s basically, Now a swamp from all the recent rain. she got back up and ran about 15 yards and expired. come to find out there was a bunch more behind this one. could have possibly been a buck behind but, after what happened sunday i wasn’t taking the chance. First deer of the year is out of the way.

my 6 year old daughter is home from school on thanksgiving break and brought her out to see the deer. she was very excited to see the downed deer. she watched me tag and report the harvest via the dnr app. i than asked her if she wanted to see me field dress the deer and she said she did “ i told her if at anytime your done watching.i’ll take you back to the house” she said she wanted to watch. to her credit she stayed through 3/4 of the process. maybe soon i’ll get her out if she wants to hunt.

i’ll probably take tonight and tommrow off to give the spot some time to cool off. there is a heck of a rub line on the south end of the property. maybe i can still get a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Your land, your reloads, your daughter smiling, next to your deer! To steal a qoute, life is good!

Boolit Master

AWESOME!!
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Happy man, Happy daughter, & a Happy freezer. All the right ingredients!! -06

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Your land, your reloads, your daughter smiling, next to your deer! To steal a qoute, life is good!
    Couldnt say it better so I wont, congrats for sure.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Yep good deal, all round. Congrats on your land, your deer, your loads, and your daughter being with you.

I will start cooking in a few minutes. Waiting to hear from the neighbor up the road, a mile. I loaned him my X Sight on a 358 with cast RCBS 200s yesterday. He woke up Tuesday night to the sound of his livestock all in an uproar. Had four wild hogs, 3 coyotes and five coons in his back pasture. Did not have a night optic, sounded like he had quite a show....apparently the yotes chased the coons up a tree and then the hogs came. He is the only one seeing hogs right now, I do whatever I can to get rid of them, do not want them to come back here.

Have a Good Thanksgiving.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Nice longhead. Thanks for sharing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations

Boolit Master
    Nice job

Boolit Buddy
    Good on you for including your daughter as well. Always encouraging to see people doing that.
    We hosted a young man and his 11 year old daughter deer hunting this year. Does we’re a hard find but she was a trooper.
    she eventually got her first deer!