WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman slug question

Boolit Master

Lyman slug question

i have a Typhoon AR style shot gun id like to shoot slugs out of for occasional deer hunting. my question is i bought rifled choke for it and want to make sure i can use the lyman 12 Guage slug in a wad or should i use a rifled slug? i dont know if a factory rifled slug even uses a wad or not.
    Last edited by barnabus; 11-23-2023 at 04:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

To my knowledge all factory rifled slug loads are full bore lead slugs of the Foster design or Brenneke style attached wad slugs. Most, if not all can be shot in rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. However, you may get leading as they ar enot lubricated.

Lyman makes two slug moulds, a Foster style and a wad/sabot style. The Foster style slug is well under bore diameter and is intended for smoothbores. It slugs up if cast from soft lead but I doubt it would do well in a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. The wad slug (diabolo pellet style) fits into common trap wads used as a sabot. It can be shot from smoothbore but is intened for rifled gun or rifled choke tube.

So which Lyman mould do you have?

This one:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ly...tinfo/1244112/

or this one:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ly...tinfo/1244012/

If you have the sabot slug then yes, it fits in a wad and can be shot from rifled barrel or from rifled choke tube. Many people have posted that it works well from smoothbores too. (I don't have this one so no personal experience).

If you have the Foster slug mould then you can certainly try it but in my experience it is so much undersize that accuracy is very poor. My mould casts at 0.705" so too big for a wad and too small for the bore. My advice is to forget this one.

There are other options available as well for both full bore and wad slugs.

Longbow

Read this thread to the end. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ey-Drive-loads

It will answer all your questions about slugs in Rifled choke tubes.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    To my knowledge all factory rifled slug loads are full bore lead slugs of the Foster design or Brenneke style attached wad slugs. Most, if not all can be shot in rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. However, you may get leading as they ar enot lubricated.

Lyman makes two slug moulds, a Foster style and a wad/sabot style. The Foster style slug is well under bore diameter and is intended for smoothbores. It slugs up if cast from soft lead but I doubt it would do well in a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. The wad slug (diabolo pellet style) fits into common trap wads used as a sabot. It can be shot from smoothbore but is intened for rifled gun or rifled choke tube.

So which Lyman mould do you have?

This one:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ly...tinfo/1244112/

or this one:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ly...tinfo/1244012/

If you have the sabot slug then yes, it fits in a wad and can be shot from rifled barrel or from rifled choke tube. Many people have posted that it works well from smoothbores too. (I don't have this one so no personal experience).

If you have the Foster slug mould then you can certainly try it but in my experience it is so much undersize that accuracy is very poor. My mould casts at 0.705" so too big for a wad and too small for the bore. My advice is to forget this one.

There are other options available as well for both full bore and wad slugs.

Longbow
    i have the pellet style

Boolit Grand Master

Then if you use a recipe for the Lyman sabot slug you should be god to go. You should check the bore diameter and also the outside diameter of the slug in wad. You need a pretty snug fit for the rifling to transfer spin from wad to slug and I have to think that with a rifled choke tube there will be some slippage since the slug is traveling at max. velocity when it hits the rifling. Some people "knurl" the slug by rolling under a coarse file to raise and roughen the surface so the wad grips it better.

I don't think it is practical to do a push through test for a rifled gun or rifled choke tube because the fit would be much tighter than typical for a smoothbore.

There are several threads here on Cast Boolits about reloading for the Lyman 525 gr. sabot slug. I am sure there will be some good recommendations for wads... here is Hogtamer's success story though he is using fully rifled barrel:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...e-MP-Lyman-525

Some more links I found while looking that one up:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ad-Data-Thread
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...yman-525-slugs

Those along with Lyman reloading data for that slug should give you plenty to work with.

Longbow

Groups from the Monkeyberg

Here some groups from the Monkeyberg with rifled Choke Tube (Mossberg 500 from Montgomery Wards.)

The first one is a Lee Slug with 3 thru the same hole and 2 flyers. The second group is a Lyman Slug with 4 shots thru the same hole, the fifth hole was a windage correction.

These are loaded into simple Trap Loads Essentially just substituting the slug for the shot. These are Low Recoil Slug Loads running 1150 to 1200 fps which have no more recoil that the same shell loaded with shot.

They were all shot at 25 yards due to heavy fog at the range that day.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2338.jpg   IMG_2334.jpg   IMG_2202.jpg   IMG_2173.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    all the testing Ive done over the years
    the WW12R wad works the best in AA trap hulls folded crimp
    can drop a deer out to 100yds no problem [and no complaints from the deer]

Boolit Master

I use an MP-MOLDS Lyman 525 clone in my 930 with a rifled choke, works very well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use an MP-MOLDS Lyman 525 clone in my 930 with a rifled choke, works very well.
    Me too!