Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: H&R Topper 88 20ga - Searching for Rifle Sights

Boolit Master

H&R Topper 88 20ga - Searching for Rifle Sights

I'm looking for suggestions for rifle sights for my H&R Topper 88 20ga. The barrel is a 3" Chamber 26" Length with the following ODs: Muzzle end 0.730", Chamber end 1.110", Just in front of the chamber 0.780".

I've searched through Numrich, Midway, Brownells, and even Sarco, looking for something that will work, and I just can't find any combinations that will do the job. The trouble isn't the front blade or ramp, I can find compatible ramps with a proper diameter. The problem comes in looking for a rear adjustable sight. About the closest I am finding is the options from Williams Gun Sight Co. But they jump from a 0.660" ID to a 0.856" ID. And unfortunately are made of Aluminum, creating a situation where they might be able to be epoxied on, but are really too small to do the job.

Just to be clear on why I am specifically looking for rifle sights, I have installed a 18" chamber adapter for 7.62x25, and am looking for a more accurate method of using the "rifle". See this thread if interested.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep with a blade and notch combo. But I'm open to blade and aperture, or even fiberoptic sights if that is what I have to settle for.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe have it drilled and tapped for a scope base, and mount an optic (red dot, or something)
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I responded.

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Maybe have it drilled and tapped for a scope base, and mount an optic (red dot, or something)
    Someone didn't read the post... I'm specifically looking for iron sights, not optics.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Buddy
    Could you buy a rear sight made for a slightly smaller barrel diameter than yours and lay a piece of wet or dry sandpaper on the breech of your shotgun, then put the sight base on the sandpaper and sand til the aluminum base is the right size? This would also rough up the bottom of the base to help the epoxy adhere better.

JD, I used JB Weld to stick iron sights on an 88 about 20 years ago.
    Still there even after getting bumped a few times.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Could you buy a rear sight made for a slightly smaller barrel diameter than yours and lay a piece of wet or dry sandpaper on the breech of your shotgun, then put the sight base on the sandpaper and sand til the aluminum base is the right size? This would also rough up the bottom of the base to help the epoxy adhere better.
    Biggest issue right now is everything that is still being manufactured is out of stock, and the ones that are available either do not have enough height, are way too small, or are too large. Texas By God is sending me some that he thinks are going to be compatible. I'll report back once I receive them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    JD, I used JB Weld to stick iron sights on an 88 about 20 years ago.
    Still there even after getting bumped a few times.
    Yeah, that is what I'm thinking for the rear sight. The front I may silver solder. Depends on what Texas by God sends. I'll have to look at them first to see what I am working with.