RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hunting with Freedom Arms… need some help

Boolit Bub

Hunting with Freedom Arms… need some help

I have a great load worked up in my 6” model 83 (16 grains 2400 behind WFNGC). Went to the woods last night and had a hog at 10yards. Cocked the hammer and he jumped out of his skin and took off. I’ve often thought the cocking sound was louder than my Ruger and BFR but I guess I didn’t realize how loud it was until last night.

Gun is a coupe years old. 454 Casull loaded with 45 colt brass

There are 4 hammer positions. Down, 20% (carry mode), 50% (loading mode), and fully cocked. The hammer was in carry mode on an empty chamber when I deployed it on my hunt. Is this not correct? Is there a quieter way to cock the hammer without leaving the gun fully cocked? Thanks!!

I don’t hunt with a model 83, but I use Ruger new model blackhawks extensively. Whenever my spidey senses get tingling, I fully cock my hammer, and use my thumb between the frame and hammer as a safety. With a little practice, this has worked very good for me.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the feedback. Surely someone with an FA83 has had the same question

Boolit Master

I hold the trigger back while quietly cocking a single action, pulling the hammer all the way back, then releasing the trigger while easing down the hammer to the full cock notch. Only noise is that of the bolt snapping into place.

Boolit Master

With any revolver single or double action, every time the hammer is cocked it moves the trigger a small amount allowing it
    to snap back a small amount causing that clicking sound. To minimize this lightly touch the trigger as it is being cocked BUT
    REMEMBER TO move the finger off the trigger as the hammer passes full cock.
    Practice it with and empty gun, you'll be surprised how it limits the sound.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I hold the trigger back while quietly cocking a single action, pulling the hammer all the way back, then releasing the trigger while easing down the hammer to the full cock notch. Only noise is that of the bolt snapping into place.
    I've used my FA83 in 454 in the very same manner and managed to get within 10 yards of a couple of hogs before cocking the hammer and dropping them. Please practice with an unloaded pistol prior to using this method while hunting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Same. I do that with Trapdoor Springfields and side hammer muzzleloaders also.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Appreciate the responses. I was playing around with it today (unloaded!) and came up with a solution similar (same?) as the one mentioned above.

1) fully cock revolver
    2) let off trigger and let down hammer to “load” position (roughly 50% cocked)
    3) carefully hold gun safely away and wait for animals.
    4) before firing, fully cock hammer. This seems to make almost no noise.

So basically the gun is fully cocked but then the hammer is left resting on the hammer block.

Boolit Master

My hunting companion has about 50% or less of his hearing left. He has no idea of how loud he is in the woods.
    We were watching a whitetail buck from a blind, he ranged it at 180 yards, he happened to touch his ballistics chart - a piece of paper- with his jacket. The rattle of the paper alerted the buck who started, spooked, and ran. He did not think it was that loud.
    Any noise that is not part of the normal environment will spook game.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    In the field,, when an animal approaches,, I cock my SA handgun, and keep my off hand thumb between the hammer & the frame. (For safety.) If the animal is one I want to take,, all I have to do is aim & fire. If I choose to NOT shoot, I can carefully lower the hammer while the gun is pointed in a safe direction. Usually after the critters leave. Of course,, you have to re-align the cylinder to get the empty chamber under the hammer. And yes,, this is true for my FA in 454 as well.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    In the field,, when an animal approaches,, I cock my SA handgun, and keep my off hand thumb between the hammer & the frame. (For safety.) If the animal is one I want to take,, all I have to do is aim & fire. If I choose to NOT shoot, I can carefully lower the hammer while the gun is pointed in a safe direction. Usually after the critters leave. Of course,, you have to re-align the cylinder to get the empty chamber under the hammer. And yes,, this is true for my FA in 454 as well.
    I hunt a lot with my FA 83 in 454 with 454 ammo. I do what contender says if I am walking or approaching animals.
    I have also doner what you said with the cocking part and it helps some. But would rather be ready with a full cocked weapon, and hold my thumb in place. My 2 cents FA is the loudest A BFR is loud and a Ruger is the quietest of the three.

Vendor Sponsor

I hunt with a Ruger SBH in a cross draw holster with flap tucked under the gun freely exposing the grip, fully cocked (pulling the trigger, cocking the hammer and then letting the trigger down to rest in the cocked position) and I keep the web of my thumb between the hammer and frame, blocking the hammer.

This is my typical in-the-stand mode where the only moving I am doing is slowly looking around. It's quiet and SAFE as long as you block the hammer and keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard. I let the hammer down and holster the gun fully if I have to climb back down the tree.

There really isn't a need that I see to walk the woods holding a cocked hammer as your normal movement through the woods is much louder than cocking the gun which is mostly still in the holster to muffle the clicks.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I cut out a piece of rubber for dry firing the model 83. Works as a hammer block while hunting also.

When hunting with my Blackhawk, I cock the hammer any time I see or expect game, and I put my off-hand thumb between the hammer and frame.

I have, when needed, held the trigger while cocking, removing my finger from the trigger before letting the hammer rest on the full cock notch. It's something that used to be common knowledge for those who hunted with any type of hammer fired weapon.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    When hunting with my Blackhawk, I cock the hammer any time I see or expect game, and I put my off-hand thumb between the hammer and frame.

I have, when needed, held the trigger while cocking, removing my finger from the trigger before letting the hammer rest on the full cock notch. It's something that used to be common knowledge for those who hunted with any type of hammer fired weapon.
    Well said^^^