RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS ProMelt vs Lee 4-20 (buying my first pot)

RCBS ProMelt vs Lee 4-20 (buying my first pot)

Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up my first bottom pour pot, and I'm looking at two different models:

1. RCBS ProMelt(the first generation with the dial on the side). This is new old stock, a guy I know personally has one for sale, it was his backup unit and he says it's never been used. He's asking $200 for it.
    2. Lee 4-20. Brand new, still available.
    Would likely add a PID controller as well to either unit, for consistency temp-wise.

If you were to decide between the two, which one would you go with, and why?

-Dan

Grab the RCBS for $200.00. Rcbs does not guarantee the electronics on the new one.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I've had a Lee, it was fine.
    Later on I got a RCBS, when the older version was still in production.
    I like it much better, and wouldn't want to go back to a Lee pot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Take the ProMelt. I've burned out a Lee pretty quick, and I know other that have too.
    I have two of the RCBS's, the second I grabbed because I just knew my first had to burn out eventually and besides, I got it cheap. I've been waiting.... My first has yet to fail, and I've had it for years.
    I'll also say that I've looked at the new electronic model, and I'm glad I have an extra of the old.
    I have thermometer and the dial, and I don't think those new ones really do anything for you. Melting lead and controlling temp just ain't that complicated. You could do it on a camp fire. I don't think delicate electronics belong around melting lead - just something to fail.

Boolit Buddy
    I started with a lee pot and used it for years(I have three with different alloys in them) however I really enjoy the RCBS and I paid a lot more than $200 for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Grab the ProMelt. Its a steal at that price.

Boolit Master
    The lee pot is a distraction especially when your first starting. When you get the basics down with the Pro-Melt, then you can add a PID. As is the Pro-Melt is a great pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Hands down the RCBS ProMelt.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    $200 for an old style Promelt that is basically brand new? Grab it now.

If it were a choice between two currently manufactured ones at retail, the choice becomes a bit more difficult. There is nothing wrong with a Lee 4-20 that a bit of tinkering won't fix.

Robert

Went and picked up the RCBS this afternoon! BRAND NEW, just unused and the box had started to yellow. He had two older Saeco bottom pour pots as well, both seem to heat up fine, but I see them as refurbishment projects to tackle in the next year.

One has an ungrounded cord, and the other one, while grounded, is only an 18/3 cord, so I’ll upgrade the cords on both to some 14ga or 12ga.

Thank you for the recommendations everyone! I’ll post some photos when I get home

A lot of things have just a 2 prong plug.
    I think they are listed/called 'double grounded'. I'm not sure what that means, but it's pretty normal.

On the wire size, I'd look and see what the draw is. I think my old pro-melt is either 800 or 850 watts.
    That's pretty close to what a common blow drier uses.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Mold
    I should be more careful when I say that the Lee died. I've been casting and loading since the 80's. That Lee that died probably lasted two or three years, and I did a lot of casting back then. I wouldn't say the Lee isn't worth buying, I just find the RCBS to be rock solid and worth the money if you're going to use it a lot.

Plugged both of the Saeco pots in and they quickly got warm, so that was a good sign. RCBS has a brand new sparkly clean, virgin pot. Christmas came a bit early I guess
    Will disassemble and clean up/refurb the pots in the new year, some other projects to finish before I can dedicate some time to these start to finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pots_1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	320241

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pots_2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	320242

Great score! I won't frown on the Lee pots. I own a 10 Lb and two 4-20's. One of the 4-20's isn't heating as well as it once did, but it's also been in use a long time. The other two are holding up fine. I also have an RCBS Pro Melt 1st version, zero complaints. I think I bought the RCBS pot because I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I decided after 35 plus years of casting, it was time to treat myself to a higher end pot. Silly reasoning I know, but sure won't knock it!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun88 View Post
    RCBS has a brand new sparkly clean, virgin pot. Christmas came a bit early I guess
    Whenever I got a super deal like that, my Dad would say, "That's too nice for you.... Send it back".

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I try to leave about an inch of alloy in my Pro-Melts to help with the next time and to keep any junk from getting in the spout. I know the alloy is supposed to be clean but stuff happens. I tried filling the pot at the end of a casting session but it's no fun trying to deal with a full pot when your trying to do repairs. Plus if your only pot is full and you decide to change alloy that adds to the time to get to where you can start casting again. Also why heat the same lead twice?

I have a Lyman Mould Master XX that's every bit as good as the Pro-Melts. Those two SAECO pots look like 24's. Maybe 10lb. capacity? Good serviceable pots that work well when cleaned up and all connections tended to. Make sure you use high temp connectors when you do repairs. 14awg cords should work fine. I use appliance cords that can handle a little more heat or standard 12awg cords that have a ground.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 11-23-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I try to leave about an inch of alloy in my Pro-Melts to help with the next time and to keep any junk from getting in the spout. I know the alloy is supposed to be clean but stuff happens. I tried filling the pot at the end of a casting session but it's no fun trying to deal with a full pot when your trying to do repairs. Plus if your only pot is full and you decide to change alloy that adds to the time to get to where you can start casting again. Also why heat the same lead twice?

I have a Lyman Mould Master XX that's every bit as good as the Pro-Melts. Those two SAECO pots look like 24's. Maybe 10lb. capacity? Good serviceable pots that work well when cleaned up and all connections tended to. Make sure you use high temp connectors when you do repairs. 14awg cords should work fine. I use appliance cords that can handle a little more heat or standard 12awg cords that have a ground.
    The fella I got these from did mention that these were 10lb pots. I looked at them as a refurb project to start in the coming year. Not planning on casting zinc or anything, and since I’m new to casting, will likely start with the premade alloy sold by places like Missouri Bullets and Acme. I do plan on picking up some soft lead or range scrap, my shooting volume isn’t super high right now but I do like to work in batches, so casting a bunch over a weekend makes more sense than just doing a little bit here and there. I mean, casting 100-200lbs of boolits in a weekend, so I have enough for awhile. But first, get these pots cleaned up and slightly upgraded with the new wire and HT connectors. Thankfully, McMaster is a 20min drive from me distance wise, so I can will call what’s needed.

-Dan

Boolit Master
    No brainer, go with the RCBS Pro Melt. I have had both and got rid of the Lee pot a long time ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun88 View Post
    The fella I got these from did mention that these were 10lb pots. I looked at them as a refurb project to start in the coming year. Not planning on casting zinc or anything, and since I’m new to casting, will likely start with the premade alloy sold by places like Missouri Bullets and Acme. I do plan on picking up some soft lead or range scrap, my shooting volume isn’t super high right now but I do like to work in batches, so casting a bunch over a weekend makes more sense than just doing a little bit here and there. I mean, casting 100-200lbs of boolits in a weekend, so I have enough for awhile. But first, get these pots cleaned up and slightly upgraded with the new wire and HT connectors. Thankfully, McMaster is a 20min drive from me distance wise, so I can will call what’s needed.

-Dan
    Good Luck with casting 100lbs in a weekend. Bullets that is.

The only other advice I can offer is only use your casting pots for casting bullets. Only put cleaned lead in them. If you pick up wheelweights, now called WW, range scrap, water pipe or sewer pipe caulk you need to clean that in a separate process some call smelting to remove the unwanted stuff you don't want in the nozzle of your bottom pour pots or bullets. You can cast 1000lbs of ingots in a weekend with the right setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Good Luck with casting 100lbs in a weekend. Bullets that is.

The only other advice I can offer is only use your casting pots for casting bullets. Only put cleaned lead in them. If you pick up wheelweights, now called WW, range scrap, water pipe or sewer pipe caulk you need to clean that in a separate process some call smelting to remove the unwanted stuff you don't want in the nozzle of your bottom pour pots or bullets. You can cast 1000lbs of ingots in a weekend with the right setup.
    Well, my background is in fabrication, both metal and wood. So I’ve been a cheapskate and glossed over my local metal yards scrap bins, looking around for a piece of 10” or 12” diameter steel pipe to fashion up a proper bottom-pour pot. Likely something in the 100-150# range when full. Bottom pour so it’s easy to manage, and of course, safer that way. Use a standard turkey fryer type burner unit underneath.
    I’m a lower volume shooter right now, but I’ve done a lot of “trying this, trying that” type stuff in my 35 years of life, and that has led to frustration most of the time, not results. Right now, I’m punching paper or plinking. But I enjoy seeing tight groups of holes, even with pistol. Again, not super high volume. Casting is a way for me to expand the hobby, mostly to tailor my loads even more than just crafting my own ammo from premade components. It’s also a way to connect with my grandfather, who passed when I was 10. I now have the honor of shooting his guns, and having his molds(all Lee aluminum) to use as well.
    My lofty goals of having 1000lbs of lead stockpiled quickly were confronted when I needed a place to store it all! So, for now, I’ll be paying the premium for the premade alloy from Missouri or Acme, and getting my feet wet that way. More expensive, yes, but prepared and a “known” material to work with. I might pick up some straight lead from the Sergeant to lower its BHN down a bit. But yes, I do plan on making ingots in a totally separate pot.

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast