RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: .41 magnum lead info

Boolit Master

.41 magnum lead info

I have about 160 lead 215gr. truncated cone nose boolits that I need to pull down and reload. What would be your powder of choice and load. I have 2400, a little Unique, w231, No. 9, Red Dot, and Green Dot. Experience only please, james

2400 or Unique is all I've ever used in 41 magnum lead loads. Are you looking for high or low velocity?

Boolit Buddy

8 or 8.5 Unique would be my choice for just an all around load GW

Boolit Master

I have used all those powders at one time or the another. I used Unique for decades before switching to Herco. I took two deer back in the day, with an 8 grain load under the Lyman 410459 swc. Thru & thru, both. Played with the 2400 as well for a while. It worked fine. Started using the heavies and switched to H-110/296. You have some good choices of powders, just depends on what you're looking for. Target or hunting?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Almost all my 41 Mag loads are using Unique . Been doing that for 30+ years. I don’t hot rod them too much 900 to 1100 fps depending on bullet weight is good enough.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    You Unique " lovers " will be happy with my post as I stopped using it many years ago . My powder of choice for my Unique " replacement " has been Winchester Super Field . My standard " everyday " load using the actual Keith swc , H&G 258 has been 8.5 grs . It is good everyday carry load , accurate , plenty of power and shoots much cleaner . It's been much more available . Regards Paul

I have been reloading and shooting .41 magnum for over 50 years. Unique at 8-9.1 grains with a Lyman 41032 won't disappoint you. Accurate and hard hitting.

Boolit Master

Long live the .41 magnum. Been shootin one since 1969.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I have been using one load in my 41 Ruger BH for about 40 years. 16.5gr Biue Dot and a Lyman 410610 for 1480fps. Yes, I have read about the BD warnings but I have had no issues.

Shot a nice whitetail a few days ago. Shattered the front shoulder bone and went through the ribs and out the other side.

I have a light load with 8.2gr of Win 230 and a 200 gr Lee at 1200fps but haven't shot it much.

Boolit Master

The reason I asked this question is because I have always used H110 and 2400 but thought maybe trying something else. I tried Unique in low to mid level velocities but found it to not burn completely and very dirty cases on the low end. I am looking for something in the 900 to 1000 fps range that burns clean and is available. Thanks for your input and keep it coming, I am watching. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 11-24-2023 at 01:03 AM.

Green Dot should fit that bill. Lots of data is available.

Boolit Master
    You asked for experience-based reloading with the .41 Magnum which, personally, I cannot provide (SORRY). Of the three original magnum revolver rounds, 7.5/Unique with the signature bullet weight (cast) makes for serviceable, if not necessarily maximum-performance load.
    Using a reduction from Unique to Green Dot and Red Dot, you may find that 6.4/Green Dot/210 gr. cast and 5.8/Red Dot/210 gr. cast are reasonable starting places.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    8 or 8.5 Unique would be my choice for just an all around load GW
    That's my choice: 8 grs Unique with 210 gr bullet.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Just a little above mid-range charge from that old can of powder that's been ignored for the last ten years.

Boolit Buddy
    TNSailorman : Another load that I really like and should fit your desire is 7.0 grs of Titegroup . Hodgdon's lists 6.5-7.5 grs with a 210 gr bullet . I have found 7.0 was a perfect fit , reasonable power , mild recoiling and shoots very very clean , " unlike Unique " !
    I realize that is not a powder that you have listed , but it's readily available and reasonably priced , unlike all the powders from Allliant these days . Good luck , regards Paul
    BTW : I see you have 231 listed . 7.0 grs of 231 with a 210 gr cast / plated bulllet makes about the velocity you are seeking , depending on your gun , barrel length etc etc .

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have about 160 lead 215gr. truncated cone nose boolits that I need to pull down and reload. What would be your powder of choice and load. I have 2400, a little Unique, w231, No. 9, Red Dot, and Green Dot. Experience only please, james
    First,
    I wouldn't reload those previously seated boolits, unless you just want ammo for plinking/blasting fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The reason I asked this question is because I have always used H110 and 2400 but thought maybe trying something else. I tried Unique in low to mid level velocities but found it to not burn completely and very dirty cases on the low end. I am looking for something in the 900 to 1000 fps range that burns clean and is available. Thanks for your input and keep it coming, I am watching. james
    I use Red Dot for ammo in that range. I think my charge is 6.5 or 7.0 (if I recall, I noticed the beginning of pressure signs with the 7.0 load...or was it 7.5 ?) ...BUT, please look up published data and work up (or work down?) to get a load desired by your gun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    If I am hunting I like to go with new brass and new bullets. You are pulling bullets, so I would be using them for practise. Green Dot would be best for that. W231 has low flash and if you can later comer up with a good accurate load, it would be best for hunting.second choice for practise is the red dot. I have used it before and it works good in practice loads. Trigger time and follow through are very important in preparing for hunting. Good Luck.

Boolit Master
    If you are getting unburned powder with UNIQUE then you probably have inadequate crimp/bullet pull... I've been shooting Unique for years in .41 and .44 with zero issues. Try a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die.

In a 4" barrel with Unique with 210-220 bullets:
    8.0 950+-
    9.0 1100 +-
    10.0 1180 +-

The 210 at 950 is a duplicate of the original 210 LSWC POLICE load made for the Model 58. I chronoed the original Remington load at 940 and the Winchester at 960. Both had very soft lead bullets that crudded up the bore in short order.

If you want target velocity loads 7.0 grains of 231 is cleaner burning than UNIQUE and about 900 fps.

Also see the sticky at the top of this page as there is a lot of data in the .41 Magnum tread...

Bob