RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suppressor/ Glock help

Boolit Master

suppressor/ Glock help

So I'm running powder coated 147 grain cast through a Glock 17 with a Gemtech Luna 45 suppressor. After 9 different loads with 5 different powders. it just quite fully eject. My question is does anyone with experience, think a reduced recoil spring would help? Or any other constructive conversation would be welcome. Side bar, I had no problem developing a load for a 1911.Thanks in advance for any thoughts. jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

suppressor/ Glock help

What powder are you using?

You shouldn’t have to change anything on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, perhaps your Nielsen device (recoil booster) is dirty and not able to fully allow the internal piston to travel enough within the cylinder to ensure operation? This does happen.

Also, a suppressor/booster combo set up for heavier recoiling ammo like .45 ball might just be too heavily sprung within the booster to allow puny 9mm recoil impulse to generate enough ooomph to get the job done. My guess is that is your real issue;...not the particular loads or components thereof.

Are you using the Lunar45 in it's longer configuration, or the shorter one? I would recommend trying it in the shorter configuration if you haven't already, which would reduce weight on the muzzle and likely more readily allow cycling.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    What powder are you using?

You shouldn’t have to change anything on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AA7, Unique, Power Pistol, 700x and Blue Dot.
    Note worthy is blue Dot did cycle but was much louder than any of the others. I have a test load for that one reduced for the next trip.

Boolit Master

The suppressor is quite clean and I re-lubed the spring assembly according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Good point on shortening it to try. I will do that on the next trip. I will say that I feel I'm close as I have had a few rounds that will clear but not with real consistency. As far as the boolit weight goes I went with one of the heavier grain weight trying to keep it hot enough but still stay Subsonic.

On mine I usually have to bump up the powder to ensure consistent cycling. I have played around with recoil springs on my G19 clone. Factory is 17lbs. 13lb was too light to return the slide to battery while chambering a round. 15lb was so similar to the 17lb I can't tell it made any difference.

I did have some jams related to the end of my SS recoil rod contacting my suppressor booster so check that out. I switched to a factory plastic guide rod spring assy to fix this problem.

Overall I'd say bump up the powder charge.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    On mine I usually have to bump up the powder to ensure consistent cycling. I have played around with recoil springs on my G19 clone. Factory is 17lbs. 13lb was too light to return the slide to battery while chambering a round. 15lb was so similar to the 17lb I can't tell it made any difference.

I did have some jams related to the end of my SS recoil rod contacting my suppressor booster so check that out. I switched to a factory plastic guide rod spring assy to fix this problem.

Overall I'd say bump up the powder charge.
    interesting I hadn't thought about the guide rod . I'll check that in a little bit. I hit the top end of a couple of the powders but I've never been one to push anything over what I can back up in a loading manuals. Before I'm done I'll try maximum loads in more powders after I shorten the Luna as atfsux pointed out.

Boolit Grand Master

Before altering the pistol, suggest you might check with Gemtech and ask if they use or have a different spring for use in the Luna45 when used on a 9mm.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I dont have instances where I have to go over max loads to cycle so I wouldn't do that.

Larry has a good point. I did go on Gemtechs site looking for any reference to different springs and could find nothing.

Send them an email and see what they have to say.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Before altering the pistol, suggest you might check with Gemtech and ask if they use or have a different spring for use in the Luna45 when used on a 9mm.
    Larry, seems as though the folks at Gemtech are on a well deserved Thanksgiving break. I'll check with them after things settle down. Good advice, thank you

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I dont have instances where I have to go over max loads to cycle so I wouldn't do that.

Larry has a good point. I did go on Gemtechs site looking for any reference to different springs and could find nothing.

Send them an email and see what they have to say.
    Steve, thank you, I'm still going to try a couple things including some of the suggestions listed by some of the fine membership folks. I will prevail

You could also try a heavier bullet, 160-165.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

OK My 2 Cents Worth
    Out of my Glock 22 ...Err 17
    I changed the factory Glock 22 barrel to a extended threaded 40 S&W barrel
    I also stuck a threaded extended 17 barrel into my Glock 22 slide with no other changes

With or with/out the can
    In both the 9mm and 40 S&W I get a lower FPS
    When I shoot powder coated cast compared to the exact same bullet , same alloy and same powder charge
    But I am using 50/50 lube

So I am guessing the pressure produced when I use powder coated bullets is lower
    Not sure how much
    I also found POI also changes about 1/4" to 1/2" at 25 yards when I used a Ramson Rest as I was working up loads
    As I started using some Surplus HP38 with Flash Suppressor using a powder coated Lee 120 gr TC 9mm bullet

So I add this up
    And "MAYBE" your loads are a touch to lite to cycle your Glock

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I would try the smaller suppressor and go 3 grains of Red Dot. With my boolits that drop around 150 grains, that would be flattening primers but not cratering. I run 2.8 grains for all my 9mm pistols and it never fails to lock back on the last round or cycle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    Well, perhaps your Nielsen device (recoil booster) is dirty and not able to fully allow the internal piston to travel enough within the cylinder to ensure operation? This does happen.

Also, a suppressor/booster combo set up for heavier recoiling ammo like .45 ball might just be too heavily sprung within the booster to allow puny 9mm recoil impulse to generate enough ooomph to get the job done. My guess is that is your real issue;...not the particular loads or components thereof.

Are you using the Lunar45 in it's longer configuration, or the shorter one? I would recommend trying it in the shorter configuration if you haven't already, which would reduce weight on the muzzle and likely more readily allow cycling.
    So this is the key at least in my case. the Luna 45 as I've used on several different firearms was always in the full configuration, however this one seem to like the shorter version. I will now start on the load development for a quiet version as it is quite surprising the difference some powders seem to make.
    Many thanks to all who were willing to help out with this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I would try the smaller suppressor and go 3 grains of Red Dot. With my boolits that drop around 150 grains, that would be flattening primers but not cratering. I run 2.8 grains for all my 9mm pistols and it never fails to lock back on the last round or cycle.
    I use red dot in my cast for my 9mm. This will be the first one I try to develop. Thank you

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    OK My 2 Cents Worth
    Out of my Glock 22 ...Err 17
    I changed the factory Glock 22 barrel to a extended threaded 40 S&W barrel
    I also stuck a threaded extended 17 barrel into my Glock 22 slide with no other changes

With or with/out the can
    In both the 9mm and 40 S&W I get a lower FPS
    When I shoot powder coated cast compared to the exact same bullet , same alloy and same powder charge
    But I am using 50/50 lube

So I am guessing the pressure produced when I use powder coated bullets is lower
    Not sure how much
    I also found POI also changes about 1/4" to 1/2" at 25 yards when I used a Ramson Rest as I was working up loads
    As I started using some Surplus HP38 with Flash Suppressor using a powder coated Lee 120 gr TC 9mm bullet

So I add this up
    And "MAYBE" your loads are a touch to lite to cycle your Glock

John
    Thank you John. This gives me more as I start load development.

Boolit Master

I traveled this road, but it's been a few years. I believe I did end up trying a lower weight spring. I would try some other powers and loads. Vihtavuori makes some very nice subsonic pistol powders. Look into N320 or N340

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I traveled this road, but it's been a few years. I believe I did end up trying a lower weight spring. I would try some other powers and loads. Vihtavuori makes some very nice subsonic pistol powders. Look into N320 or N340
    I'm still playing and making some progress. Now I'm resetting my testing around the shorter version. it's a tough season to devote the time needed but I'll keep chipping away. I'll look at the LGS to see if they have some Vihtavuori. Thank you, jeepyj

Make sure the glock is well oiled too. Isbit new or broken in? I might change out the glock spring to a pound or so lighter. My wife's only has a few hundred rounds through it and is still way stiff

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast