MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pin Gauge help requested

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Thank you, uscra112 -- I just placed an order from them for the 1/2-thou's which seem germane to my present wee few. They can't but help being good fill-ins, and, at less than $6.00 each, are affordable for me.
    Thanks again!
    geo

SHOCK EDIT! I placed my order at 1:45PM NST (12:15 EST) and just received an eMail it was shipped from their New Jersey, USA facility, order in full, at 4:57PM NST (3:27 EST -- but a few minutes more than three hours! Wowser!!!!!!!
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 11-24-2023 at 04:36 PM.

If they don't have it, you don't need it. Their shipping ain't as cheap as Amazon, but everything is top quality and I often get the stuff the next day. I even buy steel stock for my little projects from them. Taking shipping into account, they're cheaper than Speedy Metals.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I use the same McMaster-Carr pin gauges that uscra112 recommended for zeroing in barrel blanks in the lathe. I get them in barrel bore diameter, and .0005" undersized for each caliber that I build a rifle on. No need to buy a whole set when I can purchase just the sizes that I need. These make it super easy to center a barrel blank along the bore axis, then thread, chamber, cut the muzzle crown, and contour the barrel, all with the barrel centered around the bore. When not in use I store them in ziplok bags with a squirt of way oil.

McMaster-Carr is definitely the way to go.

I put together a small set that covers the calibers I need.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    SHOCK EDIT! I placed my order at 1:45PM NST (12:15 EST) and just received an eMail it was shipped from their New Jersey, USA facility, order in full, at 4:57PM NST (3:27 EST -- but a few minutes more than three hours! Wowser!!!!!!!
    That's typical. How they do it is beyond me, but Amazon could take some lessons.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Thank you! BUT, I'm a tad confused no doubt due to my ignorance on the subject. I have read posts citing a 0.007" variance in, say, cylinder size for the same caliber. I TRUST super-plus-machinests (like DougGuy) to tweak cylinders sent to hone and polish them to that 1/2-thou benchmark. But for me? I would think the pin gauges in .001" increments should/would do? My thought is to, say, check a .45 Colt cylinder with gauges, starting with the smallest that drops in on a hole marked with a Sharpie so I repeat same . Then, I advance the cylinder-hole check with the other five. IF they are similar, I'm fine? BUT, if I cannot drop the pin gauge in one or more -- or if it freely drops -- then, say, the cylinder needs a trip to a machinist?
    Kindly let me know if I'm on or off base?
    Further, I spent more than a bit of time seeking a source of gauges in 1/2-thou increments to no avail. (I had been looking for one in 0.4525) I cannot get the Meyer Excel order sheet to come up -- I just get a blank page. (I may ring them?) Do you know of a source?
    Anyhoos -- you can see I need help (in addition to the psychiatrist )
    geo
    geo
    I used to work a lot with hole sizes as a machinist that had .0005" total tolerance, say .2510"-.2515" would be the total tolerance range. For that we had hole thousance pins in both + and -, and we also had half throusance pins again in both plus and minus. So a .251- should fit, and so should a .251+, a .2515- perhaps could go but really should not, and for sure a .2515+ should not. The more seasoned co workers would often say "it takes .0002" for a pin to go into a hole".

For revolver cylinder throats the pin gage will indeed get you close, and you could carefully tap a pure lead ball through with a dowel and measure it too I suppose. Everything needs to be supported or even better disassembled so you are not beating on the crane of a double action revolver. I can see no real reason that we would need to know the size within a .0001, but a guy honing the hole on a sunnen hone would use a combination of pins like I explained above and when he was done all 6 would be within a .0001 or two.

Oh yea, and the thing about not TOUCHING pins, total BS LOL.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Vendor Sponsor

MEYER GAUGE Co. is a LOT cheaper than McMaster Carr last time I checked.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-29-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Maybe so, but he was having trouble getting Meyer's web site to work.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Maybe so, but he was having trouble getting Meyer's web site to work.
    I always just called them and gave them my order that way. you'll get a live person very easy.

McMaster Carr lists country of origin for their pins, but they bury that information so you have to click on one item, click on product details then login or create an account and login to see where they were made. PITA
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-29-2023 at 01:54 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Most people could. I'm too deaf to use a phone easily, FWIW.

I just for fun comped a typical range of individual pins such as we'd use - McMaster was just ~$0.65 more. I haven't had cause to order any pins from anybody for a 3-4 years, but I seem to remember that Meyer had a minimum order. McMaster doesn't, and their shipping is extremely fast, albeit sometimes rather expensive.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I went to McMaster site and they don't say plus or minus.
    Went to the myers site and can't open the price sheet
    Failure is not an Option

If you are really anal about it, keep them in a jar of motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    I went to McMaster site and they don't say plus or minus.
    Yes they do. "Go" pins are plus tolerance, "No Go" pins are minus tolerance. Third column from the left in the Class Z tables.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I got my set on Ebay. It was missing a few pins and I took a chance that the missing ones would not be needed. So far that is the case. The whole set in a wood box was about $75 incl. shipping(very heavy). Also it is Meyer brand. I don't remember if it is ZZ class or not but it is minus.

I do remember it took a lot of looking on Ebay to find a set that covered the range(.250 to .500) I wanted. I was mainly looking to check revolver cylinder throats.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

(I had been looking for one in 0.4525) I cannot get the Meyer Excel order sheet to come up -- I just get a blank page. (I may ring them?) Do you know of a source?

geo
    geo
    We buy all our pins from MSC. My shop buys a couple hundred every year.
    Here is a .4525 pin.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/89045256
    Last edited by Valley-Shooter; 11-30-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Just rap them in an oil rag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12