WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon SDB, or Why I dumped my Hornady Lock N Load

Dillon SDB, or Why I dumped my Hornady Lock N Load

Way back 16 or so years ago, I bought a Hornady Lock N Load with a case feeder. From day one, that was a frustrating piece of machinery. If it wasn't jamming, failing to feed primers or spilling powder all over creation, it was breaking parts, lots of parts. The basic press was ok, but that case feeder was a challenge. What a Rube Goldberg marvel of incompetent engineering. Ugh. The priming system was so unreliable getting 100 straight runs was tough. Over the next 11 years I bought upgrades, did the tweaks, replaced parts, had all of my 15 base plates modified for the "new" ejector system that let me use Lee crimp dies in station 7, the works. Every time I went to use that press, I had to fix, adjust or just plain fiddle with it. Thinking it was changing over from large to small primers that was the source of some of my misery, I bought a new, state of the art version of the basic press only to experience the same issues. So, five years ago I sold both of them. Well, I donated one to a young Marine, the other I sold at a huge loss. I muddled on with my T-7 press. The output was slower, but it always worked flawlessly.

A year ago, I wanted to reload volume for my son's growing relationship with the 9mm auto. I thought about the old LNL and shuddered. I wanted to load pistol in volume, not rifle so I explored my options. I looked long and hard at the Dillon 550B. It looked like a solid bet but, the cost was like $600 just to get the press. I would still have to buy plates and conversions. I then saw an ad for an SDB in .357 and 45 ACP. It was less than $350 so I bought it. I then scrounged the internet until some nice shooter in AK sold me a 9mm conversion. I had to buy some replacement parts and Dillon supplied some warranty parts but, in a week, or so, I had that press up and running. Over the course of a year, I added .45 Colt, and some parts that were missing for .357 and .45 ACP. Since that time, I have loaded over 2,000 rounds in three calibers and have experienced zero spills, jams, failed primer feeds, zero! I have changed primer sizes twice, changed tool heads, you name it, I have used the heck out of that machine, and it ALWAYS works. It's like a Rockchucker, you pull that handle and it goes to town.

This is pain free reloading. Now, there's no case feeder and it only does straight walled cases, but that is exactly what I needed. Could I have gone with a 550B? Yes, but why? I can load 100 rounds of 3006 or 30-30 on the T7 in no time using standard dies. The SDB could maybe benefit from greater leverage on the .45 Colt cases, but for 9mm it is the bee's knees. I can't say enough about this little press. I love the dang thing. Hornady has a lot to learn about a smooth-running progressive machine.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

welcome to the SDB club, great machines aren't they

I fabricated a slipover handle to go over mind when loading .45 Colt

actually, I use some Hornady case lube on them now and it really makes the sizing easy to do

I made an adapter so I could use a tube and bottle on the floor to catch primers--a .38 Sp case drilled out and a new "L" bracket does the trick

Also went to a quick release for the powder measure--I have several here is a link (just buy from these guys, no stake in the company) https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-square-deal/products/quick-disconnect-for-dillon-square-deal-powder-measure
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Everyone has a different experience; sold my SDB and purchased a LNL, actually two 120,802 rounds later they are still working as good as my 550 or sDB.

Boolit Master

The SDP is my favorite Dillon! I loaded a ton of 38s, 9mm, and 45ACP when I had mine.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Started on a SDB that was great, sold it and went to a LNL AP that I got used. I try not to judge it too harshly, and I actually liked the engineering for the advance and the powder drop is much better IMO than the Dillon, but the case feeding, the round ejection and the priming were often frustrating. Sold it and went to a 650, then another and then another. Planning to sell one and just got a 550 this morning. I hope the 550 makes more sense for the calibers I load a hundred or two at a time, planning to feed it cases and bullets just like I used to feed the SDB.

Not that my journey matters, I’m just rambling. Enjoy the SDB! One thing I will suggest is to keep a spare plastic tip for the primer magazine, it’ll look fine, but when it starts flipping primers or seating sideways you’ll need to replace it. If you bought new it won’t be a problem for a long time, and it’s a cheap easy fix.

For the 45 Colts resizing, try lubing every 10-20 pieces of brass with Imperial Sizing lube. Just a little on the finger tips rubbed on the case. I think you'll find that makes a huge difference in how easily it sizes. Won't hurt on the other calibers either.

And I like my SDB, use it for 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 38 Special and .357 Magnum. RL550B is for the 06 and the 30 carbine. Rockchucker is for the other 20+ lower volume calibers.

Getting time to set up the SDB, I have a bunch of powder that needs to be exterminated.

Boolit Master

I also love my Dillon SDB (I’ve had it since 2002). That said my Hornady LnL has taken over most of my mass produced pistol ammo. I still use the SDB for .38 spl and .45 ACP but it’s slowly being replaced by my Hornady. It’s a fantastic machine and have absolutely zero issues with the LnL.
    Your mileage may vary but use your own experience as a guide
    Semper F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That short throw that limits leverage also puts less stress on my arthritic joints. The InLine Fabrication roller handle does a great job keeping the wrist straight too.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

When I purchased my SDB they sold for 189.00 and my 550 was 249.00, so it's been a while ago.

Boolit Master
    I purchased the LNL the year after it was released. I'm at around 70,000 rounds in various calibers and had my share of hiccups - but not as many as other blue brands.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

20 years or so ago I threw together a case feed for one of my SD’s, when it was concluded on another forum to be impossible..

They are a good little press but when they came out, they were much cheaper than the 550 back then. Not sure how they keep selling them these days though, now that they cost more.

Boolit Master

I purchased my SDB used, set up for 9 mm. Then a forum member gave me a deal on complete kits for 45 acp and 38 special. I later managed to modify a 32 shell plate and die set so I can crank out 30 carbine. I’d like to have a 550 but the SDB takes care of all my high volume shooting needs. Great little machine!

I personally think that the SDB is one of the best engineered Reloading tools on the market. They are engineered so well that they can be completely rebuilt for just a few $ and will virtually last forever, and that's not even talking about how easy they are to use. They are a joy to use!!! I had two of them at one time,,, .40 S&W Small Primers, and .45 ACP Large Primers.

A friend gave me a 550B with a bunch of tooling and I needed to Reload Rifle Rounds .223 and .308 and .40 S&W and.45 ACP and it came with all that tooling, so I sold the SDB's Two guys here got Screamin' Deals as I had built nice Aluminum Plate Bases for the SDB's.

Excellent Machines if you are only going to reload pistol rounds. if you need Rifle too then the 550C is the way to go. IMNSHO Dillon makes the best Progressive Reloading Machines on the market by a Wide Margin!!!

All that said, and as many of you already know, I use the Hornady LNL Quick Change Die System on my Hand Presses. I consider it to be the best made QD Die System out there.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Para LDA 1640 299.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-26-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

It's all in what you like and I only give opinions on what I have used.

old
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9281264A-E852-4BCC-B163-97EC94BAB463.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	320234

New

Name:	49BCDCEC-C80A-403D-BFD5-3A9F9D77BA01.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	320235

And I like the bushing system.

Name:	B939600E-5199-49A1-9C09-6745AA8E2211.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	320236

jmorris,
    When the Square Deal was initially being developed, one prototype incorporated a case feeder. A simple V-shaped plunger worked like the 550 primer feed system. It was decided that this made it prohibitively expensive, and not pursued. This was an era when the RL1000 case feed bowl was an aluminum casting, and the case feed plate was machined from an aluminum disc.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I had 3 SDB,sold 1, other two have loaded close to 200k rounds between the both of them.
    Best progressive pistol caliber reloader on the market, bar none!

I love the machines. Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    My Dillon's are going to out wear and outlast me. The only thing I have worn out on my SD is the 4 plastic strips in corners of the frame. If you keep them clean and lubed they are Bullet proof. Dillon even quit sending me the Blue press because of inactivity. The local Scheels stocks a good inventory of Dillon stuff if I need anything.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought an SD at an auction set up with 45acp dies.. When I found that the dies for the SD are about what I paid for the SD with dies I decided it would be dedicated to 45acp only. I mounted it on my bench and loaded 250 rounds to see how well it worked. No issues. It is a very nice press. I have had a 550b for about 25 years so it gets used for other high volume pistol rounds. Also a very nice press.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two, and now regret selling them. They are not super fast…maybe 35-40% of what my 1050 can produce.

Being retired, health issues, having more time, and shooting less changed what I need…or maybe more accurately what I thought I needed.

I am a Blue fan and the only Dillon *** I have ever owned was their SL900. Two SD’s, two 550’s, a 650, and three 1050’s were worth every penny.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I have both a LNL without a case/bullet feeder although I did put on a homemade rotating bullet feeder that works very well.

A buddy gave me an extra SDB he had, it was set up for 45. He had an initial SD and it was starting to give him problems. No telling how many rounds that thing loaded. He isn't much on internet stuff so I worked with Dillon on an overhaul, they just sent him a brand new SDB. He also has a 650 that he has set up for 223. He gave me his extra SDB for helping him out, doing some casting and other stuff. I just found a set of 9mm dies so I will leave the SDB set up for 9. 38 and 9 dies are backorder for eternity and are expensive. I found a set on this site.

I also had minor issues with my LNL which were all adjustment related. However, I didn't have as many issues with the LNL as we did with his 650. I would NOT trade my LNL for it. I purchased the timing kit and use it every so often and it makes a difference. The SDB will break, I have had to order parts, they aren't bullet proof. I think between the LNL and the SDB i am pretty well set and I also have a single stage Pacific.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 12-01-2023 at 11:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast