RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Question on Mold Handles

Boolit Master

Question on Mold Handles

I recently acquired an Ideal .22 mold from a member here. Searching for handles, I thought, Why pay $35 for handles when for a little more I can get handles and mold. I struck a deal on Fleabay and they arrived yesterday. The wood is slimmer than commonly seen Lyman handles and there is a neck, over an inch long, extending from the joint to where the wood attaches.
    I think it is a useful alternative, we have all seen charred Lyman wood grips. I have large hands so it is not a deterrent in that respect.
    Can anyone inform me of the source, or history of this style? It it a rare early model or produced by someone else altogether?
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I have a set of Lyman handles that sound to be similar. They have the narrow thin wooden handles and when closed, they almost touch. They fit double cavity molds. I think they were the first handles that I bought and that was 50 years ago, so likely older style.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Try Again, first post did not go through. I have been toying with the idea of making my own handles out of old chair rails and copper pipe for the ferrules. I think it could look pretty nice if finished correctly. For me rough sanding is good enough for me. I am all about function over form.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I recently acquired an Ideal .22 mold from a member here. Searching for handles, I thought, Why pay $35 for handles when for a little more I can get handles and mold. I struck a deal on Fleabay and they arrived yesterday. The wood is slimmer than commonly seen Lyman handles and there is a neck, over an inch long, extending from the joint to where the wood attaches.
    I think it is a useful alternative, we have all seen charred Lyman wood grips. I have large hands so it is not a deterrent in that respect.
    Can anyone inform me of the source, or history of this style? It it a rare early model or produced by someone else altogether?
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    Hi Bill
    The older style handles had smaller diameter wood for handles.

If you look ay FS ad you will see that most of the wood on the handles is small diameter, there are one or two sets that have the lager diameter wood handles.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.