MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 338 Federal Cast makes meat.

MNEWCOMB59 -- Several of your comments are valid in the particular scenario - granted.

But the 338 Fed has flexibility that the 44/45 does not.
    I would expect the 338 to be able to achieve 2100-2200 on a 225, in a 15" Encore. I base this on personal use of 30-06 in an Encore vs rifle, and A Square Data, Phil Sharpe data, as well as other newer internet source data on testing of barrel length effect.

Sure, expansion ratio has a strong effect on residual muzzle pressure.
    But if this is only what mattered in life, the argument would tend toward a 50 cal or larger w/ a 250 gr bullet, where SD and BC hugely suffer.
    I see no stated BC for a 50 cal 250 gr. These are often about 0.1. Pretty poor.

Sure, use of less powder to get a desired result has advantages, but then again, increase the bore size as much as possible to effectively convert the pressure to work.
    But energy & muzzle pressure is not king, and what is less powder used to accept a flexibility penalty?

No comment by the OP if he uses hearing protection when hunting or not. Maybe he doesn't care about muzzle pressure.
    I hunted for a while w/ pistols w/o hearing protection, and now do use hearing protection w/ most hunting pistols. Yes, hearing can be damaged, but I hear fine for my age after shooting numerous WT w/ 35-50K psi pistol cartridges in 7-15" barrels w/o hearing protection.

1800 fps on a 250 from a 44/45 in pistol length isn't going to be exactly hearing friendly either. Takes a pretty capable cartridge to do that.
    44 Rem Mag achieves 1600 on a 250 w/ 14" at SAAMI pressures. 45 Colt won't when adhering to Colt SAAMI spec pressure, really about equal to the 44 when used w/ published "Ruger & TC" loads. 45 Win Mag should do it in 12-14", but stuffed w/ AA9/W296. 454 Casull will out of a 12", but that isn't low muzzle pressure and is still 27-32 gr of powder. 460 S&W will exceed 2000 fps in 15", but likewise, that is not low muzzle pressure and 35-40 gr of powder to do it. Cut the 460 back 200 fps and it doesn't become hearing friendly.

Flexibility:
    300-ish yd shot w/ no range finder in unfamiliar territory (degrading estimation): 338, change the bullet & go on your hunt. 44/45, get a range finder and encumber yourself or get a different gun.

Some people just use different things for the same job, seems there can be advantage to me in using what the OP used as he can do something else w/ the same gun. Might seem that way to him too, but just betting there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    I like you setup and I'm not trying to convert you one way or another, I'm just letting you know that you are shooting about the loudest possible gun. There are many setups that will shoot the same bullet weight at the same speed with much less muzzle blast a.k.a uncorking pressure. I bet that thing is uncorking at 18k psi with 45 grains of powder. Another setup shooting that same bullet weight at that same speed might uncork at 3k psi with 28 grains of powder.

You could probably shoot a 460 S&W or 500 S&W and have less muzzle blast than that beast and have the same amount of power and trajectory. Except it would be quieter if you happened to not have ear protection. That beast of yours is flat out dangerous to ears and if you shoot it one time without ear protection you will have tinnitus for the rest of your life.

If you shot a 45 colt with a 250 gr at 30k PSI with 28.5 gr AA11FS you could probably get 1700 fps out of a 12 inch contender and the hearing damage would be around 1/4 for the same bullet at the same weight. Shoot the same load out of a rifle and it would get 1950 fps and give you 1/20th the hearing damage per shot.

I know this is way off topic but this internet stranger is worried about your ears. Its not like a muscle. If youmake your ears it hurt it never comes back. When you try to fall asleep in a quiet room you just hear deafening ringing for the rest of your life. Tinnitus is a cause of suicide for some people. Protect those things!
    Come on more muzzle blast than a 460 S&W ……..lmao no way no how I own one and the 460 is far and above that 15” 338 Federal. Thank you for your concern for my hearing but you are wrong here and honestly you are correct this is WAY OFF TOPIC. Shoot what you want and I will shoot what I want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    I used to hunt w/ an Encore 30-06 in 15".
    Every max load I tested in that, from 150s, 165s, 180s, 190s, to 220s was ~10% off of velocity from a sporterized 24" Springfield 03A3. Not Similar load - the chambers were very close, and I could drop my Sringfield loads right in that TC. 2700 on 150s, 2200 on 220s from the 15".

VERY easy to believe that 1800 fps is quite easily achievable on a 250 cast from a 338 Fed.
    It also has so much better reach than a 250 grain 44/45.

Congrats on your deer.
    Thank you and the load was chronographed with a Lab Radar and the cast bullet load was tested along side known performers like the 338 Federal Winchester 200 grain Soft Point in water soaked news print. The damage was significant with both but the Cast was definitely softer shooting but every bit as damaging. Great cartridge in the Encore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    MNEWCOMB59 -- Several of your comments are valid in the particular scenario - granted.

But the 338 Fed has flexibility that the 44/45 does not.
    I would expect the 338 to be able to achieve 2100-2200 on a 225, in a 15" Encore. I base this on personal use of 30-06 in an Encore vs rifle, and A Square Data, Phil Sharpe data, as well as other newer internet source data on testing of barrel length effect.

Sure, expansion ratio has a strong effect on residual muzzle pressure.
    But if this is only what mattered in life, the argument would tend toward a 50 cal or larger w/ a 250 gr bullet, where SD and BC hugely suffer.
    I see no stated BC for a 50 cal 250 gr. These are often about 0.1. Pretty poor.

Sure, use of less powder to get a desired result has advantages, but then again, increase the bore size as much as possible to effectively convert the pressure to work.
    But energy & muzzle pressure is not king, and what is less powder used to accept a flexibility penalty?

No comment by the OP if he uses hearing protection when hunting or not. Maybe he doesn't care about muzzle pressure.
    I hunted for a while w/ pistols w/o hearing protection, and now do use hearing protection w/ most hunting pistols. Yes, hearing can be damaged, but I hear fine for my age after shooting numerous WT w/ 35-50K psi pistol cartridges in 7-15" barrels w/o hearing protection.

1800 fps on a 250 from a 44/45 in pistol length isn't going to be exactly hearing friendly either. Takes a pretty capable cartridge to do that.
    44 Rem Mag achieves 1600 on a 250 w/ 14" at SAAMI pressures. 45 Colt won't when adhering to Colt SAAMI spec pressure, really about equal to the 44 when used w/ published "Ruger & TC" loads. 45 Win Mag should do it in 12-14", but stuffed w/ AA9/W296. 454 Casull will out of a 12", but that isn't low muzzle pressure and is still 27-32 gr of powder. 460 S&W will exceed 2000 fps in 15", but likewise, that is not low muzzle pressure and 35-40 gr of powder to do it. Cut the 460 back 200 fps and it doesn't become hearing friendly.

Flexibility:
    300-ish yd shot w/ no range finder in unfamiliar territory (degrading estimation): 338, change the bullet & go on your hunt. 44/45, get a range finder and encumber yourself or get a different gun.

Some people just use different things for the same job, seems there can be advantage to me in using what the OP used as he can do something else w/ the same gun. Might seem that way to him too, but just betting there.
    Spot on and yes I use ear protection. The cast is a softer shooting than the Winchester 200 grain Jacketed in this same platform. The difference is noticeable. The 338 Federal is very efficient cartridge as would the 358 Winchester. You are correct about the flexibility of this caliber and platform.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Congratulations on a successful hunt.
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Nice job! .338 Federal with a cast flat nose at 1800fps is a perfect combo!
    hc18flyer
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Well executed! What mold are you using , sounds like a good round to have on hand .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    It’s a mould from Accurate

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Nice Encore and meat in the freezer!
    Some low lifer SOB took my Encore, never replaced it!
    I'd like to shoot that at least once!
    Very manageable and fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12