Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman N° 55 tank removing

Boolit Mold

Lyman N° 55 tank removing

Good morning,
    I have a Lyman No. 55 doser from 1970 in perfect condition.
    I just have a little problem with it, impossible to remove the plastic tank.
    It seems to me that there is a thread (I can't see well inside) but no matter how much I turn, nothing happens.
    I tried to turn by pushing, pulling, nothing happened.
    I also tried to remove it by force, thinking it was clipped but also impossible.
    If I force too much, I'm afraid I'll break the tank.

Thank you in advance for your help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	320148

Boolit Master
    Mine " behaves" the same way. It doesn't need replacing but would be nice to know how to.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Mine is orange, I bought it used in the 90s so I have no idea when it was made and can't say for sure it's the same as yours.
    If it's a threaded plastic tube and it has become stuck (like mine did) I managed to get it off by getting a firm grip and applying pressure in the loosening direction (you may have to hold the measure in a vise or clamp it securely into it's mount) and gently tap it at the same time. I used a plastic screwdriver handle.
    Good luck. The thread is fine and you'll need to go easy on it when you put it back together.
    Last edited by JSnover; 11-21-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it was made late enough to not have a simple “screw in” installation, it is probably a press fit and will break if you try to take it out. Unless you are planning to replace it with a new rotor (“tank”) there is really no reason to remove the one currently in place. The plastic does discolor and darken with age, especially if certain powders are left in it for long periods of time, but unless this problem becomes too great or the tube cracks or breaks, there is probably no need to remove it.
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Unless you have a very compelling reason to remove it, I would leave your hopper in place.

There is an after market replacement available made from pyrex.

https://dramworx.com/products/lyman/

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If it was made late enough to not have a simple “screw in” installation, it is probably a press fit and will break if you try to take it out. Unless you are planning to replace it with a new rotor (“tank”) there is really no reason to remove the one currently in place. The plastic does discolor and darken with age, especially if certain powders are left in it for long periods of time, but unless this problem becomes too great or the tube cracks or breaks, there is probably no need to remove it.
    Green Frog
    Did they ever make them with a press in hopper? I thought all of them were threaded.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    They were changed from threaded to press in some years before manufacture ended.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you very much for the details.
    I will try as explained JSnover and otherwise I will leave it like that.

Welcome to the CB.GL forum carl!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

sometimes the plastic hopper pressure bond to the housing, a light warming may help it break loose

Mine is a gray one and the hopper spins like no tomorrow but doesn’t go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCBS Uniflow 3 hoppers finally screw on and off, but the older Uniflow 2's were press fitted.....wonder if in fact your Lyman is one of the "press-in" versions, if so, this RCBS video might help.......it shows how to get them off and on without breakage. Works on the green ones....just maybe, it'll work on the Lymans too.......

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the video.
    This is a little scary, especially since the RCBS tank looks a little thicker.
    I will try gently....
    Last edited by carl_fr; 11-21-2023 at 07:58 PM.

You are welcome......Careful, and easy are the magic words. And if there really are threads .....don't.....it won't work. Don't know how much thicker the RCBS hopper is.....never seen a Lyman up close.

Boolit Man
    I have seen #55 hoppers in 2 different flavors. Threaded and pressed. If it turns and will nto screw out then its pressed. The pressed in ones had a grove cut into the hopper and a raised ring inside of the measure. Thus it will turn but not unscrew. Unless you want to put a bigger hopper on or your hopper is broken/damages, just leave it alone. If you really want to take it out, most likely its a one time, one way deal. Just grab each end of the measure, place it against your knee and pull, it should pop apart. Maybe you could put it back together by soaking the hopper in some boiling water to soften it up and press it back in but probably not. You can dremel out the raised ring and glue in a brass hopper, I have done that to get the extra volume to be able to load black powder and it has worked just fine for me. I still have some of the brass tube. If it is threaded then it should unscrew and come out. If it doesn't move in any direction I would think that there was a chance it may have been glued in. Maybe Lyman could tell you but I kind of think that is a big IF.
    Best of luck.
    Sam

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Sam.
    Here is Lyman's response:
    "It is just a pop in I would put the reservoir on a table with the body hanging off and see if you can po it off downwards. I would exercise caution, so you do not snap anything."

So I think I'll take your advice and leave it alone for now.

Boolit Man
    yes for sure, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fr View Post
    Thanks Sam.
    Here is Lyman's response:
    "It is just a pop in I would put the reservoir on a table with the body hanging off and see if you can po it off downwards. I would exercise caution, so you do not snap anything."

So I think I'll take your advice and leave it alone for now.
    Interesting response......I wouldn't use the hopper against anything solid....in the video, what gets bumped is the casting not the hopper. Safer IMO. Notice he bumped it lightly then rotated it and bumped it again. I've done it successfully copying that, but not with a Lyman....