Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Type 38 Arisaka in .17-.222

Boolit Grand Master

Type 38 Arisaka in .17-.222

Traded into a Type 38 Arisaka in .17-.222 with a 1-12 twist. It has some issues, bolt mods to the safety being the primary one in my mind. Sometimes it will cock when closed, more often not. I will get that figured out.

Feeding from the left side of the magazine is another; looking at the quality of work, I cannot imagine the gunsmith let it out of his shop if it didn't feed reliably.

My biggest question is the twist, a 12" twist seems awful slow in .17 caliber. Any bullet recommendations? No I'm not going to cast for this rifle.

Looking at the rifle the other night, I told my friend that it would probably cost $2500 to build it today. Looking at it more, I'm thinking it would cost more than that.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    pictures!

1-9 is common for 17 calibers. For a 1-12, you would probably want a very light weight bullet.

I'd like to see what was done to the bolt and extractor to accommodate the smaller case head and what was done to the feed lips to accommodate the smaller diameter cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll try to get pictures in the next couple of days. For now, a description of some of the mods:

The aforementioned safety mod, turned down in diameter and a set screw fitted. Set screw takes a 0.050" Allen key. Guess which one I couldn't find?

New bolt handle.

Face of bolt faced flat, then a recess for the cased was milled into it.

The extractor had a piece of steel soldered to it to reach the smaller case, also reshaped quite a bit compared to my other one.

Drilled and tapped for Weaver bases.

Trigger blocking safety added to the trigger guard and the trigger was fitted to it.

Hinged floor plate added, with sliding latch inside the trigger guard.

A well done Fajen stock with a black fore end tip (no white spacer), white spacers between the pistol grip cap and the buttplate. Glass bedded. Detachable sling swivels.

All in all, a very nice rifle.

Robert