MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: CZ Jaguar 22 ammunition recommendation

CZ Jaguar 22 ammunition recommendation

Hello. I would like some ammunition recommendations. I have a CZ 457 Jaguar and I want a target shoot with it at paper targets. I have gotten decent results with Aquila subsonic and CCI standard velocity. It has a very long barrel and the front sight is a fiber optic. The barrel is so long that it sounds quiet like it has a suppressor on it, and it does not have a suppressor on it. It is threaded at the muzzle so I could if I decided to at some point.
    The rear sight is a metal mechanical contraption that is slide adjustable to sight in at different distances. There is also the rimfire tip-off rail machined on the receiver and I could install rings and scope if it becomes necessary for a load workup.

It will not feed shorts from the magazine and I don't really want to shoot them through a barrel that long anyways I don't want to have to pound out a stuck bullet the barrel is almost 30 in Long.

Boolit Master

For economical ammo I have had very good luck with Norma Tac-22. Depending on far down the rabbit hole you want to go the Eley Tenex is good stuff, but a bit pricey. Both are standard velocity.

Thank you

Boolit Grand Master
    The old recommendation is to try several different brands/ types to find what your rifle likes, then stock up on the one that it prefers. Same lot number if at all possible.

In todays world, it seems like the CCI standard velocity ammo is at least available, so that may be your best choice. Forty years ago I would have recommended trying Winchester T-22, but I don't think they even make that anymore.

I would not worry about shorts getting stuck in the barrel, I have fired many boxes of .22 Shorts through my Dad's Winchester Model 67A (27" barrel) and never stuck anything. I have never fired any of the newer CB loads though.

Robert

Having several CZ rifles, all mine shoot good old Blazer very accurately. Cheap target ammo does not exist so just try several of whatever you can find. Good Luck.

Thanks guys.

Well I I found so far that Winchester super high velocity and aguila super high velocity both print a shotgun pattern. The Winchester was in the red translucent plastic box in 100's. The agilas super vel was small boxes 50.

I was surprised Remington golden bullet shot decently, similarly to CCI standard velocity. Remington golden bullet I can twist the bullets in the casings because their crimp is so poor. I was expecting also shotgun patterns but those were pretty good it was the green and yellow bulk box Remington golden bullet.

Federal auto match was awful. I was using the black and white cardboard bulk box. Shotgun patterns and several magazine misfeeds the bullet was jamming up inside the magazine and getting stuck causing me to inadvertently dry fire the rifle thinking that ammunition was feeding from the magazine when it was not.

I think this rifle functions better with a plated or a coated bullet just from the improvements and magazine feeding.

I tested another CCI little powder coated green and red bullets they look kind of like candy. This shot well from the rifle and the revolver. This was packaged in little cardboard milk box.

The Ruger Wrangler is new as well I'm excited to learn both guns. As an aside, I am sometimes Looking at those little bullets makes me want to handload it for it , see if I can optimize it with my ballistics experiments just like all the other guns and ammo tinkering I do. Is it achievable/possible to handload and cast for 22LR?

I'm going to shoot the auto match with the Ruger Wrangler and then never buy it again. The automatch makes the Wrangler disgustingly dirty also but at least it cannot fail to feed in a single action revolver.... So far

The Wrangler is fun too I have not had so much fun with a 22 caliber handgun since I don't know remember when. It has the long barrel with the wood grips, and came with a real leather holster.
    The Wrangler basically shot everything into a fist size group at 30 yards. I wonder if it would be fun to mount a holosun 507k on a regular Wrangler.

The CCI shorts did shoot several inches low from the revolver though as I honestly did expect due to the extremely low power.

So I don't mind buying ammunition that the rifle may not like. Cuz I'm just going to shoot it in the Wrangler!!! But now I got to scrub lead fouling out of the Wrangler because of the auto match

Been testing myself for a pair of Win 52s. Across the board have had best luck with SK brand and their different types. RWS 50 is outstanding but spendy! Some Eley products are good, also. Tennex is great in one rifle and looks like a pattern in the other! I have been testing 26 different types of Match ammo. RWS 50 and SK Biathalon are the clear winners so far. Good luck with your CZ!! Several guys at the gun club shoot them in our matches and they love them.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master

I recently picked up a case of 5000 Tac-22s for $369.00 shipped. I thought thia a fair price for better than average ammo. Stuff is available still. I found it using AmmoSeek.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have heard good things about Eley Contact:

https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...cartridges-p33
    Don Verna

Federal Auto Match is my go to 22LR for my four CZ rim fire rifles, Norma Tac is next best next to Eley Club. Your experience with Federal Auto Match is very different than mine.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 11-21-2023 at 09:06 PM.

Thank you guys for all the responses. I think I'm going to repeat my experiment and see if I get the same or different results. Also I got a bunch of CCI standard velocity that I believe would be very enjoyable to test it.

Still procrastinating to clean the Wrangler 🪛

Boolit Master

I have the slightly older 452 Ultra Lux - basically the same rifle as yours with a threaded-in barrel instead of pinned. I had it out with cheap Thunderbolts two weeks ago and was reliably (50-60%) hitting standing 12 gauge empties offhand at 50 yards with the stock irons when I did my part. The misses were all operator. The long sight radius provides wonderful control.

Older than that is my 452 Military Trainer with a 24" barrel that I run with a scope. That has always done well with Wolf Match Target.

The various grades of Eley with the flat point/tipped EPS bullet are worth trying out. Tenex is the top end where every round in the box passes all the Q.C. checks they deem necessary before they send ammo to the Olympics. The less expensive grades are basically the "blems" off the Tenex line, but they are still potentially fabulous ammo. I was once able to do some testing of the "Team" line on a windless indoor 100 yard range through a scoped Winchester 52 (also a long barrel) and was able to pull out a 5/8" ten shot group with the stuff.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Ever gun is different just because you pay top $$ for match ammo .It doesnt mean the best accuracy
    my marlin bolt gun shoots better with fed auto match. than true match ammo

In the marlin cheep ammo is the most accurate you mileage may vary

suggest try every brand you can find . Make no adjustments to the gun just shoot 10 shot groups at 100YDS
    all the same day and conditions, see what comes out on top

I wouldn't worry too much about shorts, they seem to be just a shorter version of standard velocity rounds, in my not so scientific opinion of course.
    I came to this conclusion after having blood run down my face and a chipped lens in my eyeglasses after searching for a suitable round for an antique Stevens Little Scout rifle.
    A high velocity round did not rupture, but did bulge, but the case disintegrated of the short.
    Now I use a full-face shield for such testing.
    If anyone is interested CCI Quiet .22 works perfectly and is safe for the Stevens Little Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about shorts, they seem to be just a shorter version of standard velocity rounds, in my not so scientific opinion of course.
    I came to this conclusion after having blood run down my face and a chipped lens in my eyeglasses after searching for a suitable round for an antique Stevens Little Scout rifle.
    A high velocity round did not rupture, but did bulge, but the case disintegrated of the short.
    Now I use a full-face shield for such testing.
    If anyone is interested CCI Quiet .22 works perfectly and is safe for the Stevens Little Scout.
    That's terrible sorry your rifle bit you.