Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Fresh Backstrap for Thanksgiving

Fresh Backstrap for Thanksgiving

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get a doe for the family dinner today.
    At about 60 yards away, behind a light briar curtain- I made a high lung shot with my Tikka 30-06 loaded with Lee C409200R (205 gr) over enough IMR 4227 to push it around 1800 fps according to Lyman.
    The tough little gal ran across the hay field then ran out of air and fell dead.
    Despite being 65 years old and hunted 51 seasons- this is the first deer that I’ve killed with the 30-06(albeit a .303 Savage type load)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks like a nice young one! Good shooting!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

congratulations should make a nice Thanksgiving dinner
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    I'd take that All day Long !

Nice going, that one will 'eat' very well! I an anxious for muzzleloading deer camp in December! Hc18flyer

I like turkey and ham, but backstrap with Cajun plum sauce disappears quickly!
    And Thursday we’ll do it again for the wife’s family.
    God bless everyone; have a great Thanksgiving!

Congratulations.

I haven't been able to figure out how to cook backstraps because I don't like meat unless it's well done. Sure looks good though.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

I would say well done Thomas - but it's obvious that you have perfected the technique of medium rare deliciousness! I had to look up your choice of condiments - gotta give that a whirl!

Boolit Master
    Happiness is a full freezer!

Put a piece of that backstrap on top of your head and your tongue would beat you silly trying to get to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

that's the lean meat should be cooked. med rare to the edge, good crust, well executed!

Boolit Buddy
    Did you eyeball that backstrap temp or did you use a meat thermometer? That looks like a perfect 150 degree medium-well, which is much more red than beef at medium-well. Tell me about the crust on the outside of the backstrap. Looks delicious! Did you roll it in some seasonings or is that a char from a hot grill?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Congratulations.

I haven't been able to figure out how to cook backstraps because I don't like meat unless it's well done. Sure looks good though.
    I am a rare to medium rare type but my wife only eats very well done. I found that if you egg wash, rolling in flour and pan fry thin pieces she will enjoy it. When I do mine I slice them about an 1" thick. For hers under a 1/2".
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thank you all for the compliments!
    I’m cutting it into 6” length then dusting it with Canadian steak rub from McCormick.
    I put a cast iron griddle inside my gas grill at full flame.
    When very hot, I squirt some olive oil on the grill then sear them on four sides about ten minutes total then let it rest a bit before slicing. I check them by touch-like they say it should feel similar to the web of your thumb….
    The sauce is simply wild plum jelly melted in a skillet with heavy whipping cream and Cajun spice to accent the plum.
    Our family age 7 to 70 love it, even the ones that don’t like deer burgers.

Boolit Grand Master

Those look perfect. Is the Cajun plum sauce homemade? If so whats the recipe
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-19-2023 at 09:53 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the compliments!
    I’m cutting it into 6” length then dusting it with Canadian steak rub from McCormick.
    I put a cast iron griddle inside my gas grill at full flame.
    When very hot, I squirt some olive oil on the grill then sear them on four sides about ten minutes total then let it rest a bit before slicing. I check them by touch-like they say it should feel similar to the web of your thumb….
    The sauce is simply wild plum jelly melted in a skillet with heavy whipping cream and Cajun spice to accent the plum.
    Our family age 7 to 70 love it, even the ones that don’t like deer burgers.

Dang, I don't have wild plums but my wife makes a mean chokecherry jelly that I'm going to try that with.
    (She did just remind me that she used to make wild plum jelly before I forced her to move North......(27 years ago))

Boolit Man
    Congratulations. Looks delicious. Sounds like a great time with family.

Boolit Buddy
    Mmm good! Nothing like some sort of flesh from a beast for thanksgiving!

Boolit Master
    What a fun time you've been having. Nice rifle and deer to make the holidays all the more enjoyable.

Lee C409200R. I looked that up and now have to ask, how do you think the roundnose performed? Is your lead soft, medium or on the harder scale to cast in this boolit. In other words, was there any expansion noticed in the the doe for her to run off as she did? Asking because I am wondering if I should utilize the range scrap soft RN 250 grain boolit in the 35 Whelen next time I hunt where a bottle neck cartridge is permitted. (Straight Wall only where I reside, but I am always wanting to go other places to hunt)

ChristopherO,
    My alloy is mixed range scrap and an old 2”x16” tiller weight.
    The entrance was .30 caliber of course and the exit wound was large enough to bury my thumb in- over an inch wide.
    Next time I’ll aim for shoulder bones or a neck shot if close enough.
    This is my fourth deer using cast; so far I’ve used the 30-30, 38-55, 6.8 SPC, and the 30-06. All with Lee bullets and this alloy.
    My bad for the typo “409200R” instead of “309200R”- Old eyes and fat fingers….