RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Springfield trapdoor parts

Boolit Bub

Springfield trapdoor parts

Hey gents,

How hard is it to find 1868 Trapdoor Springfield parts? I have been generously given a 50-70 action, but I need to find a stock, lock and trigger for it.

Boolit Master
    I've found that it's not hard - but patience is required. I found a barreled action in my grandfather's horse barn 30 years ago and got it put together and shootable enough to gift to my cousin in 2015. But I still have the searches saved on eBay and see all sorts of parts pop up on there from time to time. A little tip about that, if a seller has one item you're looking for - message them and state your requests. Oftentimes they will have or know where to find them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Thank you!

Boolit Master
    Cody, that's a historic firearm you are putting back in action. I had one years ago. Loved the thing.
    Try here as well, I know Al Frasca is getting old and tired and this wonderful site will go away, but it has been an incredible resource over the years.
    https://www.armscollectors.com/trapdoor/classified.html

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Albert! I appreciate it!

There was a fella that was always at the Wanamakers show in Tulsa. I think his name was Red; I'll check dad's stuff this weekend for his business card.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Bub
    Thank you!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You can go on Ebay, and buy every part you need to build a complete rifle. Add up the parts, and you pay what you would for an assembled rifle, with your choice of parts quality.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    Hey gents,

How hard is it to find 1868 Trapdoor Springfield parts? I have been generously given a 50-70 action, but I need to find a stock, lock and trigger for it.
    I was in that same predicament a couple decades ago. Do you intend to “restore” it to military specifications? Or are you looking for a shootable rifle?

I had the barreled action for a Springfield Model 1866. I wanted to restore it to something like original. Wow, reality sunk in when I saw how much an original lock and stock were in price!

Plan B. A good friend reminded me that ever since the 60s, the Italians have been making good replicas of many of the civil war muskets. I began with a search for parts from those. Again, they were very pricey. Cheaper to buy the finished musket and sell what I did not need. I started looking for a used one but there were few to be found.

One day, while visiting my favorite shop, the proprietor asked if I was still looking for a musket. “What do you have?” He says it is a wreck but he pulls out an Italian copy of the Harper’s Ferry Model 1841, aka Mississippi Rifle. I look it over because I have always liked them. It was dirty but all the bits were there. But the barrel was a mess. It was rusted externally over maybe 50% of the surface. Our best guess was the previous owner got a deer with it and posed for the grinning hunter photo with the rifle laying on the animal. The barrel may have gotten coated with blood and was set aside while dressing the deer. By the time it was cleaned, if ever, the barrel had some deep pits and was looking ugly. The price reflected that so I took it. I had a few barrels at home and figured I could swap in a new one. Eventually, that bulb in my head began to glow and I grabbed the 1866 barreled action. It took some work, but I was able to combine the two and create a “might have been”.

Just something else for you to consider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mississippi Trapdoor 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	320340

Good luck!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    That came out swimmingly! What a beautiful and resourceful job. As far as the trapdoor, I feel that this may become a long term project to track down all the bits and bobs.

Boolit Master
    Thank you.

On a different forum there is a fellow who does amazing things with the Springfield Single Shot Rifle. He converts them into Gemmers, Officers Models, English stalking rifles, you name it.

You are only constrained by you imagination. And maybe your wallet.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This is what I did to an old Trapdoor.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...gfield-rebirth
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen!
    It gives you an idea of what can be done with not much to start with.

I'm sorry I can't find Red's contact info.

edit: I found it, Richard "Red" Daugherty from Fremont, IN. He passed away in 2021 unfortunately.
    Last edited by alfadan; 12-05-2023 at 12:43 AM.
    Known traffic menace