Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite general purpose lube ?

Favorite general purpose lube ?

For 30 cal up to 2500fps in a Lyman 450

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Lars 2500+
    Works well for me in my .308 running the XCB bullet at 2600fps and holding 2MOA at 500 yards.
    https://youtu.be/l9VDouNYi7A?si=6oa2ohnPXm5zfv7q
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Super Moderator

I second the White Label 2500+ lube. I have gone to using it in just about everything now.

For all my rifle boolits, I've always used Lyman Orange Magic.
    It's kind of pricey, but in this age of $20. a case beer, and people thinking $7.oo for a cup of coffee is fine,
    and no more of it than I use,,,, I just give 'em their money and move on.

Sometimes, I add one on to bump an order up enough to get free shipping.
    Looking at it that way, it's more or less free.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Lithium - Beeswax , known commercially as Lithi-Bee Lube .
    Consists of :
    1 part lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky)
    3 parts beeswax

The commercial maker told me they used 8 lbs. lithium grease with 24 lbs beeswax when they made a batch ... he no longer makes lube ...or I would still buy the premade sticks for my Lyman 450 .
    Now I make it in a slow cooker with 1 lb Lucas R-N-T and 3 lbs beeswax .
    I fill the 450 lube chamber with hot lube and let it cool and harden ... I never had luck making hollow sticks... so I cheat !
    This makes a soft lube . I like soft lubes but
    If you like a harder lube you can add up to 1 part Gulf Wax , hard paraffin wax , to get a firmer / harder consistency ... start by adding 1/4 or 1/2 lb of Gulf Wax , add just enough to firm up , no more .

I've tried all manner of lube over the last 50 years but keep coming back to Lithi-Bee ... Never a leading problem with it ... it simply works .
    Use in all handgun and 30 cal. rifle : 30-30 , 30-06 , 7,5 Swiss and 303 British
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-18-2023 at 07:30 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Simple Lube made as the sticky above in the Lube section. It works for me is hot summer and Cold NY winters. It just works for all my needs from 22 K-Hornet to 50BMG.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Moderator Emeritus

If you are gonna buy some, White Label lubes is the place to buy from, I prefer Carnuba Red as it's not as tacky as 2500+ ...but knowing the basic formula of 2500+ lube, it's also a good choice.
    BUT
    If you want to make your own, I would suggest 666+1 (satan's lube). see post #5 for recipe
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2653932
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I started out with Ben's Red back when I pan lubed. When I got the lubesizer I tried Fryxell's black (moly grease and beeswax). I became leery of using moly so I went back to Ben's but, now use a simpler version, basically Lithi-Bee. I typically add some carnuba to stiffen it.

As you can tell, just about anything will work. If I were to buy some I'd go to White Label.

Boolit Master

NRA 50/50.
    Alox/Beeswax.
    It`s the only lube that I`ve used in 60 years of casting.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned either the White label 2500+ or the NRA 50/50 lubes are the best to use. I use both from miniscule handgun and cat's sneeze loads at 500 fpe +?_ up through 3000 fps loads.

I conducted an extensive test of 13 different lubes at 2500 fps. The 2500+ and 50/50 lubes produced the best accuracy. The results are buried in the RPM threads but I can repost if you want?
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-19-2023 at 10:26 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One of our late members, Felix, came up with a great lube that many of us have used for years.
    It is known as Felix World Famous Lube (FWFL). Do a search, you should find it easily. I may even be a sticky. I've used it to around 2700 fps.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I use 2500+ in everything with excellent results

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

I use BAC for my pistol loads and LBT Blue for most of my rifle loads.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    One of our late members, Felix, came up with a great lube that many of us have used for years.
    It is known as Felix World Famous Lube (FWFL). Do a search, you should find it easily. I may even be a sticky. I've used it to around 2700 fps.
    I’ve been using Felix lube for everything for at least 20 years. No issues at all up to 2500fps or so.

Boolit Master

I've shifted over to 2500+; the cost of store-bought lube being negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Ben's Red slightly stiffened with extra beeswax is a good recipe to have in your back pocket for a home brew. While I found it to be pretty messy for auto pistols and revolvers (and wouldn't want to try it in anything with a gas system), it's fantastic for anything with a closed breech sending everything out the muzzle.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As mentioned either the White label 2500+ or the NRA 50/50 lubes are the best to use. I use both from miniscule handgun and cat's sneeze loads at 500 fpe +?_ up through 3000 fps loads.

I conducted an extensive test of 13 different lubes at 2500 fps. The 2500+ and 50/50 lubes produced the best accuracy. The results are buried in the RPM threads but I can repost if you want?
    Larry, please do. I need to add it to my collection of your testing.

Boolit Master
    I used to bother making various Lube recipes back when I was still lubing stuff. Now I PC all my boolits. But when I got tired of making lube I eventually settled on Carnuba Red. It was a fantastic general purpose lube. These days, I've been considering playing around with lubed PC boolits in some rifle loads. And I'd probably try it first if I decide to do that. But, I haven't kept up much with the lube options over the last 10 years or so...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    White Label BAC
    for everything. Nothing faster than 1825 in my usage.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I use White Label 50/50 for everything, but I don't push the envelope with high power rifles either. I do run it full pressure in 30-30, with a gas checked bullet of course.

I too would like to see Larry's testing again.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I PC some of my boolits. The others get Carnuba Blue. Have not found its upper limit yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast