Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would this be considered cratering on a primer?

Boolit Grand Master

FYI

I have not pressure tested any 124 gr jacketed bullets in the 9mm cartridge. prefer to use 115 gr JHPs [Hornady XTPs or Speer GDs] for my PD rounds. I load them over 7 gr of Herco. That load pressure tested at 33,800 psi [Oehler M43] and runs 1300 fps out of my CZ75 with 4 5/8" barrel.

My standard practice load [Lee 120 gr TC over 4 gr Bullseye] tested at 31,400 psi.

The SAAMI MAP for standard 9mm loads is 35,000 psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Looks a little funky but your firing pin hole may be enlarged - does factory ammo do this?

With BlueDot, your generally gonna have lower pressures in a 9mm because it is a slower burning powder designed for heavy shotgun loads (buck/slug) and cartridges like 10mm/357 mag...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a pound of Blue Dot to do some testing in a 9mm carbine. The longer barrel should allow a higher velocity with the slower powder. I have seen some very heavy loads I do not feel comfortable using by Internet idiots trying to get .357 Mag performance from the 9mm using Blue Dot in carbines.

Another thread about potential pressure spikes in cold weather with BD, is concerning. I was looking at +P loadings with 124 gr XTP’s. Might not be such a good idea for use in Michigan.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Just a thought, could it possibly be unlocking before things calm down in regard to chamber pressure wiping primer? When I first acquired my 365 I ran some Sig 147 HP through it and it smeared the primer on every one very similar looking to yours. Took piece apart and looked everything over, found firing pin hole flush, sharp and tight. Went next magazines with factory Sig 124 Elite and they looked perfect! I was able to speak with a serious Sig fanboy and he said the early 365's along with their other little fixes were unlocking early with heavy or hot loads and a there were some broken strikers because? Short barrel with heavies are not your friend for velocity I would think, I have put over 500 rounds flawlessly through it since that one mag full of heavies with no sign of nothing with the factory lighter side projectiles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12