Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Might need to stop going to deer camp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great advice M-Tec! It would be condescending. And yes, our properties border each other.

I will state my case when I see him and not involve the other members. The more I ponder on this, the more it looks like I will be leaving deer camp for rifle season. A person who resists taking 10 seconds to make a gun safe, so he can prove he is the "boss", is letting emotions override common sense.

As to helping out...it is what we do for neighbors. It is over an hour round trip to town to pick up stuff. And some jobs need help/expertise he does not have. No reason to sever the relationship over this. Deer camp is less than two weeks, and they typically hunt less than 7 days. We are neighbors the rest of year.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

About 60 years ago, so the details are somewhat fuzzy. A man who lived about 1-2 miles north of us was hunting with his son. As they got out of the truck the son pulled his 30-30 out/off of the floor of the truck. It discharged and shot the father as he was retrieving his gun. DRT. Did not know them and never knew more than that.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    The camp owner cancelled our meeting on the 30th, told me not to participate for the balance of the year, and suggested we meet in the spring to review my status for next year.

I will not accept that a loaded gun with the safety engaged is a “safe” gun. This will end my participation at deer camp. If he wants to continue our relationship as good neighbors that is his call.

Like I stated earlier. He is a good guy and the other camp members are great guys too. Some either lack an understanding of safe gun handling, or chose to ignore those rules to conform. Not a price I am willing to pay to be “accepted”.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have had two incidents this year.

The first was on my range. I let the guys use my range to sight in. Three weeks ago was the sight in session. One guy wanted to load his magazine and not take the magazine out when he went downrange to check his target. I told him to single load and keep the bolt open after the shot. He refused to do so. It got heated. I told him, my range, and my rules; and if he would not comply to get off my property and not come back. The others were quiet, but I found out later they told the guy he was wrong when they got back to camp.

Two days ago, I went to camp after the morning hunt. There was a gun leaning on the side of building with the bolt closed. I opened the bolt a round ejected. The gun belonged to the camp owner/leader. He told me it was safe because the safety was engaged. I gave him that *** look.

I have been labeled "the safety Nazi" for a few years. It started when I advised the camp owner he should not go out alone to service the 20+ tree stands. Too easy to slip and fall. They never or rarely wear safety gear. I live beside the camp, and told him to give a call and I would ride along in the SxS in case something happened.

I also suggested if the guys were hunting alone to let me, or someone, know where they are hunting and when they get back to camp. If something happens, I can help or get help.

BTW, last week one of their friends fell out of a tree stand and died.

In the past, being the "safety Nazi" has mostly been good natured ribbing but I am getting tired of it and will not compromise on gun safety.

They are great guys and I enjoy their company. I cannot understand the stubbornness wrt what seem reasonable safety protocols...especially when it comes to gun safety. Am I being a grumpy old fart who is too anal?

I am an "honorary" member and pay no dues. I do not hunt the camp until after opening week when they typically are not there but help out a bit during work bees. I really appreciated being invited and becoming part of the "gang".

But the gun safety thing is bothering me. I plan to tell the guys today I will "make a gun safe" without asking for permission. And that means, an open action and an empty magazine in the gun.

What do you folks think?
    Don, Do not compromise....safety first even if it makes 'em mad! I have worked countless shootings (intentionally, accidentally, and suicides). My agency ran a hot range and when I joined a gun club and they run a cold range with bolt open, ammo out, no one handles the guns while someone is down range,etc. at first I though it was a bunch of bologna.....but you would be surprised the number of accidental discharges I worked as we were too casual about our weapons while being active L.E. ....

so I gladly endorse what you preach as feeling hurt dont hurt as bad as a misplaced bullet in someone. I am lucky enough to hunt my own place but I still tell my better half where I plan to hunt and make sure my phone is with me! The older we get the more cautious we become and I for one like a good measure of safety and caution!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

If you are only talking about a 2 week time frame, I'd have a quick talk to discuss the rifle left loaded that you sat on, and tell him you aren't comfortable with the safety of the camp and you prefer to bow out as you don't want to be a victim, nor under any investigation WHEN someone gets shot.
    Your range is off limits to anyone when you aren't around, and anyone coming to use it will have to hear and agree to MY range rules.
    I'll help you as a neighbor the rest of the year.
    And just walk away from the hunting. No big long drawn out deal to try and change a bunch of folks whom you most likely won't. His land, his camp, his rules or lack thereof.

Dang, I wrote this and didn't hit send an hour ago. Looks like he made the decision. I'd just let it go and if he approaches you later, tell him thanks but no thanks. Zero skin off you.

Just because a fellow is a great guy doesn't mean you have to accept HIS ineptitude and casual attitude towards items that kill.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I went deer hunting once and had a blast, never got a shot that would have been safe, but still had a blast.
    The next year I got invited again and I got my tag and was ready to go, but just heard that one of the guys I was going with almost shot his brother because he shot at a noise.
    I gave them my tag and said no thanks.
    That was the end of my deer hunting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345