RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mitchell Arms Uberti Single Action

Mitchell Arms Uberti Single Action

Does anyone know anything on Mitchell Arms? Picked up one today. I know they’re no longer in business and they imported from Uberti, but I don’t know much more than that. It’s a Single Action Army in 45 Colt with a 4.5” barrel.

It’s in rough cosmetic shape but seems to function good. I fired 10 rounds through it and it functions as it should. But I would like to know what a date of production might be on it though, if that’s possible. If possible I might would like to slick the action up on this one. And it does have the 4 clicks like my Cimarron models.

What model Uberti would I look at for say a new Wolff spring kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My God! It says .45 Long Colt right on the barrel! Semantics police will be wetting themselves!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I bought one for my son (blued finish) in 45 LC and he’s carried it while hunting feral hogs for many years without any issues. It’s basically the same as any other Italian clone.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I bought one for my son (blued finish) in 45 LC and he’s carried it while hunting feral hogs for many years without any issues. It’s basically the same as any other Italian clone.
    Yeah, but what model Uberti would this be? I’m looking at changing out the springs. I have two other Unerti’s but they’re Cimarron’s and the actions are much lighter than this one. Thinking about a set of Wolff Springs, but most I see are for the Cattleman model.

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    My God! It says .45 Long Colt right on the barrel! Semantics police will be wetting themselves!
    It also says Commiefornia on it too, so there’s that.

Mitchell was formerly at High Standard, then ran Mitchell’s Mausers- importing nice Yugo Mausers and other guns. An internet search might give you an idea of the time period that your Uberti was made in.

Boolit Master
    It is a cosmetic variation of the Cattleman, Model P, 1873, and a bunch of other names.

Easiest way to find out what fits is to call Wolff.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I just ordered a Wolff Spring Kit from Brownells. Tonight I completely disassembled it and gave it a good cleaning. She was a dirty girl. Then I lubed everything up with Blackie Thomas’s Gun Butter and put it back together. I did end up polishing a few areas with a very fine stone and super fine files. Just a few areas though that seemed to have bur’s that were definitely areas that see movement. Now to get the new springs in and see what the improvement will be.

Vendor Sponsor

Do NOT shoot that enough to get the cylinder hot. Nickel will pop off!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

My google says the company went belly up in 1998. You have a pretty old Uberti there.

Boolit Grand Master
    My only experiences with Mitchell arms guns were very negative. I bought one of their Lugers, which was pretty, but awful: bad trigger, failures to feed, failures to eject. I sold it to a buddy who just had to have it--he was sure he could get it to run right--and never looked back until I got a Mitchel Arms High Standard 22 that is if anything, even worse than the Luger was. If it says Mitchell on it, these days I hold my nose and walk around it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

A rose is a rose is a rose, and Ubertis are pretty much Ubertis. I'm about 99.5% certain that your Wolff spring kit will fit and function, and even a Colt set for the similar generation might work. Other than the various importers' stamps and some consmetics like nickel and case hardened colors, they haven't changed much over the years. There was an accursed hammer safety on some of them that tended to eventually chew up the internals a bit. I had one on a .32-20 model and changed it out for a Colt hammer--not that much of a problem at all. Very close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005826.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	320275

Here's a pair in stainless steel imported by Stoeger.

DG

So I placed the Wolff Spring kit in this Mitchell Arms 45 Colt and the pull back on the hammer is nice and slick now. Very smooth action. Before it was very stiff. As far as the finish goes, I used my Dremel with various grades of buffing wheels and I’ll say it turned out quite nice. Put a nice satin brushed finish on it. I’m very happy with the finish now. Just keep her oiled up and there shouldn’t be any issues with rust.

That cleaned up pretty nice!
    I love my Uberti Cattleman revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve owned a Navy Arms/Uberti SAA in 32-20 and a Taylor/Uberti “Smoke Wagon” version in 45 Colt. Each was specially tuned and slicked up by its respective importer and both are as slick and smooth as anything I’ve ever owned. BTW, they were made and imported a couple of decades apart, with whatever manufacturing changes would have occurred in the interim.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"