Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Marlin 357's are here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Cool. I like that it's traditionally styled. I do not care for the front of the forearm / transition of the barrel band area aesthetically.
    That always did strike me as odd... but I still think the Marlins look better than the Henrys.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Poor me! I can't really do a new Ruger made 1894 in 357....I guess I will just have to stick with my 2 crummy old JM's. BOO HOO

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    "Get rid of the barrel bands and the silly front sight. I'll wait till then." I think the lack of a barrel band is what makes the Glenfield 30-30's shoot so accurate. Kinda' like free floating the barrel, how ever the accuracy reports of the 44 Ruglins are good.

I like both styles, barrel bands or the front cap. Not all that choosy. I realize the barrel bands are likely to negatively effect accuracy in many rifles.

I also agree that the Henry’s look off. It’s just different and not like was around before 1900. Similar but different. Nothing intrinsically wrong with the appearance but if you’re doing the cowboy in your imagination thing it’s not right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    "Get rid of the barrel bands and the silly front sight. I'll wait till then." I think the lack of a barrel band is what makes the Glenfield 30-30's shoot so accurate. Kinda' like free floating the barrel, how ever the accuracy reports of the 44 Ruglins are good.
    I have several cowboy models. They all shoot well. No bands. No hooded sights. Finest Marlin rifles produced in the last 100 years.

I had a 45/70 CB and it was a tack driver too. It's a shame the recoil on my prosthetic shoulder joint cause me to sell it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Why even call it a Marlin? But I have been waiting a long time.
    Not trying to be smartarse, but it is a Marlin gun manufactured by Ruger.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I can’t get over the prices for the new Ruger Marlins. Not a working man’s gun anymore

Boolit Master

It says the barrel has 6 lands and grooves. Anyone know the rate of twist?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I picked up the Marlin SBL by Ruger in 45/70 and it has quickly turned into one of my favorites, I can tell you the action is buttery smooth like your Grandpas old well worn 30/30, and accurate I left mine as all my other lever actions with open sights, it is consistent 1.5 - 2 moa with factory loads and open sights. It is a 45/70 and light guns and heavy loads are not for *******. It is and absolute hammer on South Texas Hogs. I took it deer hunting last weekend and everyone wanted one, I did not think I would wind up getting it away from my brother, he said when I die that is the gun he wants me to leave to him.

Boolit Master

I have a new Mugger, (Marlin/Ruger) 1894 in .44 magnum, and with the help of Brian Pearce, who consulted with the Ruger Guru's, this rifle is truly a gem. It feeds Keith SWC's and any other jacketed or cast loads I have, it has the 1/20 twist, the chamber and land/groove dimensions are tight, mine slugs @ .430" groove diameter, and it shoots great.

So IF this is any indication, the new Mugger 1894 .357 should be up to spec. and good to go.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

If I were 10 years younger(I'm 81), I would be looking to buy one despite the criticisms. So, my Rossi will have to do and it does what I want.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    Homemade soap boys. Still the same boring line up. Get rid of the barrel bands and the silly front sight. I'll wait till then.
    If they come out with a rifle instead of the barrel band carbine I will buy one. I will also wait. YAWNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    You may have a long wait.

I like the .41, never owned one but a friend was a big .41 devotee.
    The other one I’d love that we may see since they still catalog it in the revolvers is the .327 mag. Again, that may be a long wait. I’d prefer a .32 H&R for what I like but I’d take what I could get.
    Henry makes a lever action in 327/32 H&R,mine shoots 32 long as well.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Master
    ht tps://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/leverAction-ClassicSeries/

they are now making several but holding off till I see a 357/38 special in 20 inch barrel

Now hope they come out with a octagon barrel 20 or 24 inch

Boolit Bub
    I'm a Winchester guy but this rifle looks sweet. I am curious why they needed the butt pad but hey if it makes the gun more comfortable for folks than its just fine.

Vendor Sponsor

I actually like the overall looks of the rifle! Now if it's quiet while stalking through the woods, that would make or break a good hunt!

Looks wise, it beats the DAYLIGHTS out of the "Dark" series with picatinny rails stuck on all available sides.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    as far as the 41 every time I pick up my Henry I like it more and its grown on me through the years and I give it equal rating to the old marlin fg. I only wish I had waited for a carbine with the shorter barrel and loop lever. but as I expected when I invested in it when the big boy first came out the value has increased. now if only Henry would polish them one more step and put a deep blueing on them

Boolit Grand Master
    It is going to be a winner. I have two older 1894's (.38 Spl and .38/357) and I expect to keep them till the end.

We used to shoot them a lot when primers were cheap. Very fun guns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Need to thin that forearm down a bunch and ditch the rubber on the butt to interest me , that and a reasonable msrp .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    In my experience Marlin has had Quality control and customer service problems since the nineties . Ruger has had the same problems a little longer maybe . So they are not something I'm likely to risk money on unless I can shoot them first .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast