Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 grain cast load for 444 Marlin

Boolit Buddy

300 grain cast load for 444 Marlin

Good morning. I just picked up some Oregon Trail true shot .431-300 WNFP for my 444 Marlin from a straight shooter on this site. and it seems all my books stop in the 260 range for cast bullets for the 444 Marlin. Does anyone have any published data they wouldn't mind sharing? These are gas checked

I also wouldn't mind hearing about your favorite loads as I just picked this rifle up and am just now starting to experiment. I did order the custom Lee factory crimp for the Hornady 265 FTX in a shortened case.

Boolit Bub
    You might try here,https://web.archive.org/web/20060103...h_notes.htm/28 I've used a 340 gr ssk in my Timber Carbine and at 1900 fps it hurts on both ends. But it takes 1800 or better with a slow twist barrel to get a usable group. The sharp recoil that a 444 has convinced me to put it in the back of the safe, and go with a 45-70. In that I can push a 490 gr at 1700 without a black&blue shoulder. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by fenderman57; 11-17-2023 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the link. I will read through it tonight. Haven't shot a 45-70 but I have been keeping an eye out for one. Recoil hasn't been too bad so far but I haven't shot anything larger then a 265 FTX yet.

Have you ever ordered from that site? Some of those heavier bullets look interesting.
    Last edited by Bloodhound689; 11-17-2023 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    I load a 500 gr with 41 grs of blackhorn 209 and a mag primer, at 1200 FPS, in my 45/70 roler; or a 515 gr with 27 grs of 5744 in my 45/70 marlin; Should work in your 444 Marlin, works in my friends 444.

Boolit Buddy

I guess I haven’t looked into it enough. Thought you could only go up to around the 360 grain range for the 444 Marlin

Not sure I have a need to even go into the 350 + range other then for fun

Boolit Master
    I use 47g H322, Federal 210M Primer, R-P case with a 300 grain Speer jacketed bullet with outstanding accuracy, 2002 fps SD 6. Hodgdon's shows 48 g H322 as max with Rem primer and bullet.

Boolit Buddy

What do y’all typically do if you use jacketed data on cast bullets? Reduce 5-10%

All my books have data for jacketed. Just not cast

Boolit Master

lots of 444 Marlin info can be found here: https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/the-444-marlin.43/

Boolit Buddy

Thank you all for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

Boolit Master
    the last loads I put together for the 444 were cast loads with gas checked and lubed bullets weighing about 270-275 grains using 48 and 49 grains of 8208. I need to get back to the 444 and develop this loads further and cast some 310 grains from the lee mold. for the 300 or 310 grains I would probably start around 43 or 44 grains 8208. I was just experimenting with the 8208, previously I had only used 4198

Boolit Master
    Bloodhound 689

A cast boolit normally will not produce as high a chamber pressure as a jacketed bullet/ load with projectiles of the same weight, as long as variations in seating depth are not excessive. But it requires some experience with the boolit alloy used to determine if the starting load will give anything even remotely close to accuracy with the boolit.
    Probably be easiest for you to describe the cartridge you’re wanting to try with cast boolits and let some of the folks here make recommendations. And find a Lyman cast bullet manual to see which powders work best with cast.
    Last edited by wmitty; 11-19-2023 at 12:46 AM.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    Bloodhound 689

A cast boolit normally will not produce as high a chamber pressure as a jacketed bullet/ load with projectiles of the same weight, as long as variations in seating depth are not excessive. But it requires some experience with the boolit alloy used to determine if the starting load will give anything even remotely close to accuracy with the boolit.
    Probably be easiest for you to describe the cartridge you’re wanting to try with cast boolits and let some of the folks here make recommendations. And find a Lyman cast bullet manual to see which powders work best with cast.
    I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th Edition) but it only gives you loads for a 210 and 240g cast bullet. Everything I have read has stated that this rifle is best in the 260g - 330g range. I recently have purchased a few hundred of these: "Oregon Trail true shot .431-300 WNFP" and figured it would be a good start. I really have no intended purpose other then enjoy myself loading and seeing what they would do on paper. This makes up for about 90% of my shooting.

The rifle is a 1999 Marlin 444p Outfitter, 18.5 1:20 Ballard cut barrel.

Boolit Buddy

Found this website after reading all of your posts. Looks like they make molds specifically for the 444. Have any of you ordered/used these molds?

https://mountainmolds.com/44-caliber-cast-bullet-molds/

Boolit Master

When Dan was running Mountain Molds it was top rate.
    Don't know who this new outfit is.

Boolit Master
    I run two loads in my 444 using Lee molds. My fun load is the 200 gr RF plain base boolit (drops at 215 gr with my alloy) with 10 gr. of Red Dot at an MV of 1370 fps. My "business" load is the 240 gr. SWC with gas check using 14.5 gr. of Red Dot for an MV of 1600 fps. The "business" load dropped a 220# black bear from 40 yards last month and the bear never took a step - DRT. When I was still hunting elk, I used the 300 gr Lee boolit at an MV of 1750 and it was very effective. All those boolits have been more than adequate for accuracy with the iron sights since I rarely see a need to shoot over 100 yards in my neck of the woods. Although I use a muzzleloader for all my deer hunting these days, IMHO that reduced fun load would be more than adequate for any deer I have ever met at 100 yards or less.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 11-21-2023 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I run two loads in my 444 using Lee molds. My fun load is the 200 gr RF plain base boolit (drops at 215 gr with my alloy) with 10 gr. of Red Dot at an MV of 1370 fps. My "business" load is the 240 gr. SWC with gas check using 14.5 gr. of Red Dot for an MV of 1600 fps. The "business" load dropped a 220# black bear from 40 yards last month and the bear never took a step - DRT. When I was still hunting elk, I used the 300 gr Lee boolit at an MV of 1750 and it was very effective. All those boolits have been more than adequate for accuracy with the iron sights since I rarely see a need to shoot over 100 yards in my neck of the woods. Although I use a muzzleloader for all my deer hunting these days, IMHO that reduced fun load would be more than adequate for any deer I have ever met at 100 yards or less.
    I have heard from a few people that the 240's are pretty good since I have posted this. You're not too far from where I grew up. Ever been to Eatonville?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    When Dan was running Mountain Molds it was top rate.
    Don't know who this new outfit is.
    Thinking about ordering one. I'll let yall know how it is

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    What do y’all typically do if you use jacketed data on cast bullets? Reduce 5-10%

All my books have data for jacketed. Just not cast
    I have mainly focused on shooting cast in rifles that operate in the velocity range where cast works well so what I do is use "Starting load" powder charges for the same (or similar) weight jacketed bullets. Then I check with the chronograph until I get at least 2,000 ft/sec assuming the cartridge is capable of doing so of course. So far, I am doing so with 30-30, 7.62x39, 32 Win Special and 35 Remington. Most manuals treat cast bullets in rifles as something inferior as if all they are good for is cheap practice loads. In cartridges such as I'm using, they are equal to jacketed so I'm going to get all the rifle is capable of when shooting cast. The 444 should be able to do the same.

Boolit Buddy

I have done this with 10mm in a revolver but I am new to cast in rifles. What is your go to load for the 35 rem? Just picked one of those up too. Loving the levers. Now I need one of each flavor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    I have heard from a few people that the 240's are pretty good since I have posted this. You're not too far from where I grew up. Ever been to Eatonville?
    . I used to fish Lake Kapowsin all the time. Excellent for largemouth and really enjoyed the rock bass there. It is a little too far to go from here but then I have several good small largemouth bass lakes within a few minutes drive as well as a good smallmouth lake. Every rifle barrel has a personality of its own so I hope yours is as friendly to CB's as mine is. Good Luck! Just remember that you don't have to beat yourself up with recoil for it to be effective and fun to shoot. CB's don't need as much velocity to be devastating on game as jacketed often do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast