RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 grain cast load for 444 Marlin

Fenderman57: Slip On Recoil Pad from Limbsaver! Works wonders.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Fenderman57: Slip On Recoil Pad from Limbsaver! Works wonders.

Randy
    I have a trim to fit Limbsaver on it. It did help some, but not enough for a 6 lb. rifle with those kind of loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    I have done this with 10mm in a revolver but I am new to cast in rifles. What is your go to load for the 35 rem? Just picked one of those up too. Loving the levers. Now I need one of each flavor
    I thought I had a 35 Remington load for life with 38.0 grains of IMR4320 and the Accurate 36-200A bullet. But that powder was discontinued. So far, I have had similar results with H4895 using again 38.0 grains with the same bullet. The Hodgdon website lists 38.5 grains as MAX. I get about 2,050 ft/sec with both loads.

I went with H4895 because of its versatility in being good for reduced charges as well as full power. It will serve me well in a bunch of rifles. Thankfully I got a 8lb can in 2020 right before everything went nuts with availability.

In my 444P just for fun I shoot a 320+ gr cast over 24.0 grs of 2400. The mold is a Lyman 429650, suppose to be a 300 grainer but mine are a tad heavy.
    Very mild recoil and still slaps the big gongs with authority at 50 yds.
    I suspect it would definitely do a number on our deer.
    For some really serious stuff that same bullet over 41.0 grs of H4895.

As to a 35 Rem. load, 34.0 grs of 3031 under a 200 cast works well in the 2 Marlins and has taken a few deer.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Found this website after reading all of your posts. Looks like they make molds specifically for the 444. Have any of you ordered/used these molds?

https://mountainmolds.com/44-caliber-cast-bullet-molds/
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    When Dan was running Mountain Molds it was top rate.
    Don't know who this new outfit is.
    Thinking about ordering one. I'll let yall know how it is
    just remember what the old soothsayer say,
    "he who expectith nuthin', aint gonna be deceived. caveat emptor".

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    . I used to fish Lake Kapowsin all the time. Excellent for largemouth and really enjoyed the rock bass there. It is a little too far to go from here but then I have several good small largemouth bass lakes within a few minutes drive as well as a good smallmouth lake. Every rifle barrel has a personality of its own so I hope yours is as friendly to CB's as mine is. Good Luck! Just remember that you don't have to beat yourself up with recoil for it to be effective and fun to shoot. CB's don't need as much velocity to be devastating on game as jacketed often do.
    Yes, I used to go to one of those two lakes almost every weekend growing up. Only lived about 10 minutes from there.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I thought I had a 35 Remington load for life with 38.0 grains of IMR4320 and the Accurate 36-200A bullet. But that powder was discontinued. So far, I have had similar results with H4895 using again 38.0 grains with the same bullet. The Hodgdon website lists 38.5 grains as MAX. I get about 2,050 ft/sec with both loads.

I went with H4895 because of its versatility in being good for reduced charges as well as full power. It will serve me well in a bunch of rifles. Thankfully I got a 8lb can in 2020 right before everything went nuts with availability.
    I haven't started loading for the 35 as of yet. I lucked out and found some ammo so I am going to concentrate on the 444 then move to the 35 after I have a few loads that I like made up.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    In my 444P just for fun I shoot a 320+ gr cast over 24.0 grs of 2400. The mold is a Lyman 429650, suppose to be a 300 grainer but mine are a tad heavy.
    Very mild recoil and still slaps the big gongs with authority at 50 yds.
    I suspect it would definitely do a number on our deer.
    For some really serious stuff that same bullet over 41.0 grs of H4895.

As to a 35 Rem. load, 34.0 grs of 3031 under a 200 cast works well in the 2 Marlins and has taken a few deer.

RP
    Will you take your 35 over the 444 hunting? just curious. I keep going back and forth on it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12