Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever action 22

Boolit Master
    I am not saying this is any good but I did post in this thread and just came across this while shopping.

https://www.rkguns.com/rossi-rio-bra...utm_medium=cse
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I've owned a Winchester 9422, Marlin 39as, Henry standard rifle, the large loop carbine, and a Golden Boy.

The Marlin was my favorite, but I didn't care for the rebounding hammer and crossbolt safety. The balance and feel was that of a centerfire rifle, and it was extremely accurate. The gun was a tactile pleasure to shoot though. I want a 39A.

The Henry rifle and carbine were both toyish feeling by comparison. Neither of mine were that accurate, though they were plenty of fun. The carbine's poi would drift pretty good when it got hot. Enough that I'd completely miss a coke can at 25y.

The Golden Boy was very accurate, and it was a good gun overall. The brass plating started flaking off the receiver cover after a while, starting at the screw holes. The comb was very low for me, so I ended up swapping it off for something that fit better.

In my youth, I had Winchester 9422, and it was okay, but the cartridge cuttoff was messed up and it would let 2 in some of the time. I sent it to whomever owned/ran Winchester for repair, and they "fixed" it but it did the same thing when I got it back, so I swapped it back to the gun store from which it came. I swapped that and a Ruger Single Six for a new 1894c right before Marlin went under.

I've never owned a BL22, but I looked at one in the store and the lever was super short throw. I didn't care for it and I never went any further.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've never owned a BL22, but I looked at one in the store and the lever was super short throw. I didn't care for it and I never went any further.
    The short throw of the BL-22 is one of the best features about it! You're able to maintain your sight picture much easier due to less movement of your hand. About the only thing faster is a semi-auto. That and the top quality fit and finish. Of the currently manufactured 22 levers this is the direction I would suggest after much research and hemming and hawing about it. I'd love to get a marlin but I would be hesitant to get one without putting eyes on it and there just aren't any around me. And between it and a browning, the browning is less costly for the most part.
    Last edited by c0wb0y84; 11-17-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Another vote for the Browning. Love that short action!

Boolit Buddy
    This one has my interest. About the same price as the Henry and Heritage. Best I can tell they are made in Italy. Have not found may reviews on them though. Maybe someone has dealings with the brand on here. https://www.chiappafirearms.com/prod...ake-down-rifle I like the Henry as well. Held one yesterday felt good to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had several lever action .22's, and I would rank them as: 1. Marlin 39a, it feels like a rifle when you hold it. I never had one of the 39m's. 2. Ithaca Model 72 (predecessor of the Henry's), Winchester 9422 (Mine was an XTR) and the Browning BL22. Way in the back of the pack is the newer Henry rifles, I have to admit they were only making the basic model when I bought mine.

Used ones are out there, but it may take some searching to find a decent one at an affordable price. Last month I bought a fairly rough Marlin Model 39a for $250. A bit of cleaning and it works like it should. Still needs quite a bit of cosmetic work, but at least I have another.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    If you run into an Ithaca Model 72, they are well worth a look. Super smooth action and nice triggers.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Henry Small Game Carbine with the 17 in. octagon barrel and Skinner peep sight. It is my favorite .22 rifle and does not have the cheap feeling like the standard model. With CCI Quiets, it is a barn rat slayer.

Boolit Master
    I have three Henry's, the 'standard' .22 - Leupold 3-9x33EFR, a Frontier - 24" octagonal barrel Nikon 4-12, and .17 HMR with octagonal barrel and Sightron 2.5-10, also have 2 Marlin 39A's (no safety), a Marlin 56, a Ruger 96 .22 Mag, and a Winchester 9422. The Henry Frontier 24" octagon barrel handles like the Marlin 39A and is just as accurate. My Henry's shoot under an inch at 50 yards with the .17 shooting 2" groups at 150 yards. The Ruger 96 works just OK, my Winchester 9422 needed the extractor worked on and needs to be kept clean to work reliably. The Marlin's are very accurate, but the Henry's are just as accurate. The Henry octagon 17 HMR is my wife's favorite because the trajectory is so much flatter than 22 LR, ammo is pricey compared to .22's. The Henry's with the octagon barrels have a very 'solid' feel compared to the 'standard' H001 and are worth the extra money unless the light weight is needed for younger shooters. Henry is made in AMERICA.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Another vote for the Browning. Love that short action!
    Me too Tom and if I wasn't so dumb, I would have bought one for $200 at a gun show a few yrs back. I had it in my hands trying to make up my mind when a guy walked up and asked " are you going to buy it?" I said no and he handed the owner 2 $100 bills ant that was that! It's haunted me ever since--so much that Mamamurf bought a 9422 for my birthday as a consolation. What a girl!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    New gun, Henry or Browning all the way. I love my Henry H001T and equipped it with a Williams FP. I only chose it over the Browning because it has an octagon barrel. I don't know about the Winchester or Marlin, in any event I'm not interested in spending what they would cost when I'm perfectly happy with my Henry.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Marlin 39a, Browning BL22, Henry Golden Boy. In that order, I owned all three. All good and accurate.

If you get a Henry, be advised the "blued" receivers are regular metal covered with a painted facade and the Golden Boy has a "brasslite" receiver ... it's merely plated white metal, not brass.

Save your money and buy a new or vintage Winchester or a Marlin 39A. You won't regret it. They are much less like kid's toys. I don't know about the Chiappa and Heritage guns. The quality of Rossis the last 2-3 years has been pretty good but I imagine (don't know for sure), they have pot metal receivers like Henrys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADBCB820-22-EB-4977-AA6-B-B497-D2744185.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	320313

This 1951 Peanut cost me about 30% more than a new, entry level Henry and I paid cash with no tax a few years ago. It's worth three Henrys in resale. Just be patient.

I would pass on the Rossi. It's basically a crude Henry knockoff for not much less.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Love my "pot metal" Henry H001 carbine. Solid 3/4" 10 shot 50yd groups with decent std velocity ammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dscn0898.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Love my "pot metal" Henry H001 carbine. Solid 3/4" 10 shot 50yd groups with decent std velocity ammo.
    What rear sight is that?

I have/had a Grade II BL22 that somehow now resides with my son. Got rid of the Marlin 39 because I preferred the Browning. My conservative guess is that BL22 had a bazillion rounds through it when I was a kid. If I could figure out a way to get a 2 pound trigger on that BL22 it would be back in my safe again.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I have a first year production Win 9422 that has worked flawlessly. Maybe i just got a good one.

Gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at a Rossi last night . It is out. Also looked at a heritage manufacture. It has a different finish on the receiver, not sure has it is. Kinda brown lookin. Drawback- forearm was loose and more money than the Henry. They also had 2 Brownings. Did not hold them but still mighty tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by jjamna View Post
    I looked at a Rossi last night . It is out. Also looked at a heritage manufacture. It has a different finish on the receiver, not sure has it is. Kinda brown lookin. Drawback- forearm was loose and more money than the Henry. They also had 2 Brownings. Did not hold them but still mighty tempting.
    We have the Rossi at my side job shop and I would pass. It is a crude Henry copy for almost the same price. The Rossi probably shoots well enough but why not spend just a bit more and get the real thing? If you just need a good .22 there are many much better options for the same or less money. The standard 10/22 costs the exact same.