RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Most Funnest .22 Rifle?

I enjoy shooting my 1924 Model 52 PreA but I also enjoy shooting a dedicated Seekins .22 AR Taccom that I put together. Both are heavy rifles, the 52 is slow but deadly accurate while the AR is fast and accurate.

Hard to narrow it down to one... My grandfather's Remington 572 certainly brings smiles and fond memories, My Dad's 39a for same reason. I do really enjoy my little Rem #4 and a pocket full of .22 shorts.
    My Colt Peacemaker is a solid contender along with a Charles Daly Hi Power frame I built as a dedicated .22 with a JA Ciener conversion kit. But I hit every darn thing I aim at with the S&W m41.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Goose View Post
    Hard to narrow it down to one... My grandfather's Remington 572 certainly brings smiles and fond memories, My Dad's 39a for same reason. I do really enjoy my little Rem #4 and a pocket full of .22 shorts.
    My Colt Peacemaker is a solid contender along with a Charles Daly Hi Power frame I built as a dedicated .22 with a JA Ciener conversion kit. But I hit every darn thing I aim at with the S&W m41.
    If that's your biggest problem, you're on top of the world.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Wow! I guess for me it's a tie between the Remington 121, and the FLD Browning BL-22. The latter has a long tapered octagon barrel instead of the normal round barrel on the BL-22.

Interesting, I have never seen a BL-22 with an octagonal barrel. That must really look great! I have a round barrel one, it is fun one to shoot as well. It always feels so light and nimble after shooting my 39a, more like my Marlin 1892, but with that crazy short throw and the trigger mounted in the lever, it feels a little more like a surgical instrument.

Rusty

Kinda reminds me of the most un-funnest .22 of my life, a Browning BPR .22WM. This miserable thing would feed jam at least once, often twice with each magazine full, and you had to take it apart to clear the jam.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Smith and Wesson 15-22 with a CMORE Railway on it that is about the best rimfire steel gun ever.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Goose View Post
    Interesting, I have never seen a BL-22 with an octagonal barrel. That must really look great! I have a round barrel one, it is fun one to shoot as well. It always feels so light and nimble after shooting my 39a, more like my Marlin 1892, but with that crazy short throw and the trigger mounted in the lever, it feels a little more like a surgical instrument.

Rusty
    https://www.browning.com/products/fi...2-octagon.html

Holy Moly have they gone up in price!

Like everything else.

I have and still own many 22’s in all action types but the funnest probably has to go to my 22 ATD made by Norinco. That almost hurts my feelings saying a Chinese built gun can be that good, but mine is ! It’s as accurate as a good bolt gun, never jams or has ever let me down and it’s light and handy.
    Do to my eyes I have a long eye relief 2 1/2 power compact 1” scope on it mounted on the barrel and it has a great field of view and I have knocked birds out of the sky and killed all sorts running small game with the thing.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Winchester 62A with 22 shorts !

Boolit Master
    My favorite is a Winchester 62 made in 1937. A very nice shooter.

I'm not having luck lately at uploading pics, but my fav 22 is often my little Remington Model 6 falling block. It's right at 100 years old, and I wonder how many of us boys this rifle has been loved by.

We don't always remember that at zero to 50 yards, these little rifles with their sights only 1/4 inch or so above the bore shoot exactly to point of aim. A scoped rifle is often as much as 2 inches off at these close ranges. If ya want to plink a penny off of a stump or stuff like that, a little open sight boys rifle is often the best. jd
    Last edited by hoodat; 11-20-2023 at 07:46 PM.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I'm not having luck lately at uploading pics, but my fav 22 is often my little Remington Model 6 falling block. It's right at 100 years old, and I wonder how many of us boys this rifle has been loved by.

We don't always remember that at zero to 50 yards, these little rifles with their sights only 1/4 inch or so above the bore shoot exactly to point of aim. A scoped rifle is often as much as 2 inches off at these close ranges. If ya want to plink a penny off of a stump or stuff like that, a little open sight boys rifle is often the best. jd
    Is your rifle an original or improved model? Just curious as I've had trouble with case ruptures which I've decided are due to the thinner brass on .22 ammunition these days. Extractor doesn't provide enough support. Mine is an original model and it's pretty well worn. Barrel is a nightmare. Coke can at 20 yards if the case remains intact. 50 yds isn't even worth attempting. Doesn't always fire the first time either due to the firing pin design. If dry fired the pin will distort the barrel and eventually effects reliable firing. Mine isn't horrible but isn't 100% reliable either. Flat springs which are weak with age too.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-20-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Wow, that model 62 is a beautiful rifle. I love those sights!

Boolit Master
    My favorite rifle is a 1919 Savage NRA my dad got for me about 60 year ago. I have three 22 pistols that I would have a hard time picking a favorite. They are a MKI T 6 7/8" a Colt/Walther 1911 and a S&W k22.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I enjoy shooting my 1924 Model 52 PreA but I also enjoy shooting a dedicated Seekins .22 AR Taccom that I put together. Both are heavy rifles, the 52 is slow but deadly accurate while the AR is fast and accurate.
    Those OLD 52's are very much under rated. No speed lock? No problem, just apply good shooting principals.

Boolit Master

I get the most pleasure shooting .22 pistols over rifles my two favorites are a High Standard H-D military and a S&W Model 17 .

With the passing of my father I have some other Ruger and H&R .22 pistols that are fun to shoot all but one of them (Sigle Six .22 Magnum only) had belonged to my grandfather . I passed a Single Six with both cylinders on to my son and my granddaughter likes to shoot it .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to agree with a couple other responses here, the Winchester 1906 pump. I'm the third generation in our family to own it, starting with my grandfather when it was new back in 1909. It still shoots well and makes a trip to the woods now and then for squirrels. Growing up it was my rabbit gun, but not many of them around since I moved south. Pistols can be fun, and there's a Ruger 77/22 in the closet with a Leupold that's super accurate that makes me smile. But hands down the most fun is the old pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Is your rifle an original or improved model? Just curious as I've had trouble with case ruptures which I've decided are due to the thinner brass on .22 ammunition these days. Extractor doesn't provide enough support. Mine is an original model and it's pretty well worn. Barrel is a nightmare. Coke can at 20 yards if the case remains intact. 50 yds isn't even worth attempting. Doesn't always fire the first time either due to the firing pin design. If dry fired the pin will distort the barrel and eventually effects reliable firing. Mine isn't horrible but isn't 100% reliable either. Flat springs which are weak with age too.
    Mine is also the original model. The bore isn't pristine, but it shoots as good as any of my 22's. I suppose the earliest of these little rifles may have been used with black powder cartridges, and suffered the consequences. Mine is mechanically perfect, with tight lock-up and strong main spring. You are right about the dry fire thing, and I guess the only fix for that would be to cut another chamber and shorten the breach accordingly. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast