RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Most Funnest .22 Rifle?

Boolit Master
    Another 22 I have that would be a close 2nd for fun is a Winchester model 77 semi-auto that my Father bought new in the late 1950's. It's the 22 version of the centerfire model 100. It's the gun I started hunting groundhogs with on the farm that kicked off my fascination with 22 centerfire varmint rifles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 77.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	320026

This is not my rifle but it's just like it!
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 11-16-2023 at 11:09 PM. Reason: correct mistake

My .22 rifle “collection” is small- and all Remington!
    Just the way things worked out, I guess.
    The 581-S is accurate like a “Baby 788”,
    Mine and my late Dad’s Nylon 66’s are amazing,
    But the 510 single shot is “funnest”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Winchester model 63. My upgrade from the '03 after they quit making ammo for them.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    My first rifle; Win 69A. It was Dad's rifle and he taught me the basics with it. As a kid, I'd collect bottles on the roadside and once a week I'd go to the hardware store and buy 1 box of .22's. Such a great memory. Can you imagine a kid today being able to walk into a hardware store and buy ammo?

Boolit Master
    Marlin 39A Mountie.

Favourite is a Winchester '06 pump. I rebuilt it from a wreck, after sourcing many parts. The thing I like about it is the 'slam fire' feature allowing 15 rounds in under 5 seconds.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

actually i dont shoot 22s but rarely. i take them out for the grandkids. ive got 2 ar's in 9mm and with cast bullets there about as cheap to shoot. ive seen so many shortages of 22's that i hate to shoot up my stash. ive got thousands of 9s loaded and components enough that i could leave that stash alone and load what ill shoot till i die. i dont small game hunt anymore so unless the grandkids are with me id rather shoot something i casted and loaded. to me sahooting 22s is like shooting factory 44 mags. i didnt make it so i dont have much interest

Boolit Master

Remington #4
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    My all time favorite is a Remington 341. The one I have the most fun with these days is a CZ 512.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Still have my first 22 rifle that I got when I was 10 years old in 1958. It’s an unusual Model 55, single shot automatic. Yeah, that’s right. Look it up.
    My favorite and handiest is my Norinco JW15. It’s compact accurate and fun!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Marlin “Golden” 39A bought in 94? Boringly accurate, really nice wood from the factory, scoped, sighted in, and put in the safe. Maybe 100 rounds through it.
    The most funnest. That has to be a Marlin model 60, those little cheap guns, yeah y’all know ‘em, probably couldn’t pile the game those things harvested over my shop. Cheap gun, cheap scopes, junk ammo, ( anybody remember Federal Lightning rounds, pop,squeek,pfft! But they were cheap and when you were living paycheck to paycheck it mattered), rabbit and squirrel slaying machines.
    Just my contribution. Have fun, gentlemen.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Easy choice, I bought a 510 from a dealer for real, real, real cheap, like $20. Mostly for the parts. A dirt dobber had built a nest in the muzzle. I sat it in a corner in the shop for a couple of years, then one day decided to see about a rehab and alteration project. Stripped then cut the barrel off at 16 1/2", threaded and recessed crowned, spun up on a barrel spinner then re-blued all of the metal, refinished the wood, drilled and tapped the barrel, put a center fire scope on it, stuck a suppressor on it. The package shoots pine cones at 200 yards off a rest with Federal or PMC Target. Very handy, quiet and effective critter getter, crows, feral cats, skunks, coons, armadildoes, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14E24C58-891A-44AA-ACDB-2E03832F5180.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

"Most Funnest"? Several contenders:

Winchester 1906 pump. I bought it for $75 with a perfect bore, but worn nearly white exterior and shattered gumwood stock spliced back together with hardware store junk. I'll never know the story, but like to tell myself it was some Okie family's subsistence rifle back during the dust bowl days, and they kept it running with what they had. I bought it and replaced the wood during my period of Highpower competition where even the cheap ammo practice .22 was a heavy barrel target gun that got shot with match rounds, a cuff sling, and leather coat. The 1906 was my "therapy/recovery" purchase that reminded me how to simply go out and have fun with a rifle. I can randomly dump in any S, L, or LR that fits and if the soup can falls over, I'm happy. I think somebody told John Browning to design an entry for a "last gun to wear out after the zombies come" contest - SOLID!

Remington 511. I learned on a 510, but since I've grown beyond the "new shooter" need for a single shot with an auto-re-engaging safety, the 511 repeater has all of the nostalgia with none of the frustration.

Winchester 67A. Everybody points to Browning's machineguns and the 1911 when they nominate him for sainthood. I go to this budget single shot. The extractor, ejector and sear are all the same part, and it's powered by one leaf spring.... and like the 1906, it's pretty much kid proof. I love running the guy's machines.

CZ-452 Ultra Lux. EXCELLENT sights with the front one way out at the end of a 28" barrel where the presbyopic rocks I used to call eyes can kinda focus on it. I was managing about a 50-60.% hit rate on empty 12 gauge shells shooting offhand unsupported at 50 yards a couple weeks back. That's pretty funnest.

HONORABLE MENTION: Winchester 63. You have to respect Winchester for lavishing Model 52 target rifle fit and finish onto an autoloading .22 plinker with no provision for optics or target sights. There is only ONE thing about it that keeps it from being maybe the most funnest .22 ever: lack of a last shot hold open. I bought mine with a broken firing pin that I needed to replace, and the need to count my shots to prevent dry firing is the only killjoy in that rifle. The Ferrari of semi autos.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

One I didn't mention, (I no longer own it) was a Remington 513 T ''MatchMaster''. Not something you wanted to carry very far or shoot very long off-hand. It was a sizable rifle that weighed a good bit with it's 27'' heavy barrel and fat target stock. Along the top of the barrel, and J. Unertl 16X scope provided the sighting. Old school accuracy!

We had a starling infestation while I had it and there was no better fun than setting up in the back yard at roosting time shooting those dirty birds from the tops of the maple trees in the front yard. Winchester T-22's were quiet enough it never alarmed any of the neighbors, the old guy across the road said one day that every now and again a bird would just fall to the ground dead, he couldn't figure it out, never heard a shot. About dusk I would get an ash tub and a shovel, gather the dead, and bury them in the garden.

I think I need another 513 T!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

cz452!

Boolit Master
    Remington 513S
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Remington 511.
    Bought mine in '74 @ a pawn shop in Atlanta for $32.50. Not a beauty. Prior owner had attempted to mount a side mount scope using wood screws attaching the mount to the stock. On all other guns I correct defects & make them look presentable. This one shoots so well that I'll never touch it: it's beauty is in the way it shoots.

Boolit Buddy
    Mid 70s Rossi 22 pump hammer gun , Winchester clone. Used to ride my 10 speed while hip shooting cans and bottles in the ditch.

Moderator Emeritus

My FUN favourite is a Marlin 15YN single shot from 2006 which shoots pretty much anything that can be chambered in it. I read it had a 2006 msrp of $225.00, and I chanced into a shop on Long Island, NY, where it was diminutively dwarfed by adjacent rifles in the "used" rack. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buckaroo.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	320113 It immediately started crying out at me, "Buy me...Buy me...Buy me" so with little adeau it was shortly in my hands. The sticker price? $350.00! Try as I might, I could not get seller to reduce price; I was "flush" at the time; and hey -- it's only money, right? I took it to range when I got home, along with three other arms -- and they never got fired at all. Light, tiny, and 110% pure fun!!!

I have .22 pistols that shoot worlds better than this old 1948 Colt Conversion Unit, but they don't have the fun factor the old Colt has.

Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast