Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auto Repair Bill Sticker Shock!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Here, the off road, or 'red' Diesel is different that what the gas station sells.
    It has a higher Sulfur content, and actually runs better and is more 'powerful' than they yellow/green stuff.

All the same in our area just one is red for tax and the other is not.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    All the same in our area just one is red for tax and the other is not.
    Exactly right. I don't think the EPA will allow the high sulfur diesel to be distributed anywhere these days.

Didn't know how much the coat was. Daughter was lookin at a 2013 with about 120k on it for 6k. Sounds like something major is needed.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've never heard of 'off road additives' for any type of fuel besides dye in diesel because of the lack of road maintenance taxes. I presume you mean in Minnesota when you say around here. I'll have to do some 'net searches when time allows. That sounds strange to me.

I have heard it's possible to purchase fuel with additives to prevent valve seat wear in old engines that didn't have hardened valve seats. Perhaps that's what is available to you locally?

Edit to add - it's been a few years since I've seen any of that for sale, so it might be completely unavailable now. I'm not sure.
    its dyed for starters and yes, additives to replace the lead...

Boolit Master
    I looked into the head gasket problem with subaru engines turned out the gasket design was prone to separation of a coating on it. There are after market gasket that are a much better design. I love my 2019 Outback btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    That sucks but where can you buy a decent used car for under $8k?

If the rest of the car is in good shape, I would make the investment.
    They can be found but ya' gotta; look hard. I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $4800 out the door in Atlanta. It had 132K miles and other than a small tear in the drivers seat cushion, it was darned near perfect AND it had 5 brand new Michelin tires-even the spare. The inline 6 4.0 L Jeep motor is known for 300K if you service it properly.Attachment 320258 If you part out the Suburu, look for a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee with lowest miles. Just my observations any way. Murf
    BTW, the 5.2L jeep motors from that period are known for running hot and blowing head gaskets too. 4.0L-no problems I know off.
    Last edited by murf205; 11-23-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    They can be found but ya' gotta; look hard. I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $4800 out the door in Atlanta. It had 132K miles and other than a small tear in the drivers seat cushion, it was darned near perfect AND it had 5 brand new Michelin tires-even the spare. The inline 6 4.0 L Jeep motor is known for 300K if you service it properly.Attachment 320258 If you part out the Suburu, look for a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee with lowest miles. Just my observations any way. Murf
    BTW, the 5.2L jeep motors from that period are known for running hot and blowing head gaskets too. 4.0L-no problems I know off.
    Get extra window regulators from the junkyard, you are gonna need them!

Boolit Buddy
    Old mechanics trick is to black magic the window channels and the cable if it is cable operated. I've had two liberty regulators go bad oddly in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Get extra window regulators from the junkyard, you are gonna need them!
    You mead the track its self?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    You mead the track its self?
    The parts that move the window up and down, ESPECIALLY if electric windows!

As far as windows breaking, I had a 1964 Ford Galaxy that had manual windows. There was a little plastic clip about the size of a nickel that held the rod that raised and lowered the window to the bottom of the window. That clip would constantly break. I kept spares in the glove box and got to the point where I could replace it in about 5 minutes.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I had a 92 Ford E-150 Club Wagon that had elect windows and the little gearbox had 6 plastic balls in it which,of course, got ground up in the metal gears. I replaced them with 6 1/4" hex nuts with the corners ground off and never had another problem.
    when it comes to auto manufactures, if cheap is good cheaper is better...for them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123