Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Ok, how can I use a can of Johnson paste wax

Boolit Master

Ok, how can I use a can of Johnson paste wax

I think I have two

Thank

Boolit Buddy

Wish I had that problem. I would make 45/45/10 bullet lube great on wood pistol grips and use it on the wood and metal parts of my guns for proctection from the elements GW

I mix a bottle of LLA with a can of JPW for tumble lubing pistol bullets. I am lamenting the discontinuation of the JPW.

I've yet to find a suitable replacement. Does anyone know of a nearly identical product by a different manufacturer?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

There are many brands of very good paste wax, wood finish wax, and bowling alley wax. Look on Amazon. Avoid automobile waxes, as they usually contain abrasives.

I primarily use it as a release agent for bedding jobs.

Boolit Mold
    Could make yourself some Bens Red, believe it uses 10-15% if not mistaken

Boolit Buddy
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-amp-Mess-Free

I saved this link a while back and have used it in my cast 45-70 boolits. RIP Recluse

Boolit Master

Anyone know iof JPW will come back out?

I found some ace hardware past wax that claims carnauba .. but haven't tried it because i have a little JPW left.. but will probably have to experiment next year when i make up a new batch...

Boolit Buddy
    I’m using Butchers bowling alley wax in 45-45-10, mostly because I saved 2 1/2 cases of it from the trash. Seems to work fine for my pistol bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    I’m using Butchers bowling alley wax in 45-45-10, mostly because I saved 2 1/2 cases of it from the trash. Seems to work fine for my pistol bullets.
    We reloaders are a "thrifty" bunch.

Boolit Master
    What are your other components in 45-45-10? Thanks

Boolit Master
    When I make 45-45-10 I use 45% Johnson's paste wax, 45% White Labs Xlox, and 10% mineral spirits. I did a lot of experimenting with swirl lubes a few years ago and did make some discoveries. After Johnson's Liquid paste wax was discontinued a few years ago Lundmark liquid paste wax was suggested as a substitute. I tried the Lundmark wax and it was a dismal failure. The Lundmark liquid wax never dries. Bullets coated with Lundmark left out in the sun in 100 degree heat for two weeks and they were still wet. Bullets coated with lundmark and cooked in my powder coating toaster oven at 300 degrees for 45 minutes were still wet when cooled off, even after being cooked twice. Because Lundmark never dries it is completely unsuitable as a bullet lube, and even as an actual floor wax (it's intended purpose). The Lundmark went in the trash, the Xlox and paste wax works much better.

I've read comments on this site that 45-45-10 can separate if stored for a long time. Yes, it does: so just shake the bottle before you use it. Also, if you store 45-45-10 where it can get cold in the winter, ie: work shop, garage, basement, etc., it can solidify. If that happens just soak the bottle of lube in some hot water for 2 or 3 minutes and it liquefies again. Final note; it only takes a little bit of 45-45-10 to lube a batch of bullets. 1/4 of a teaspoon will be more than enough to lube a hundred bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Johnson paste wax can still be found if you search for it. Looked on Amazon and about flipped out...JPW in the tin listed at over 100.00 per. I recently found several tins of JPW at my local Lowes Home Improvement store, and some of them followed me home. May see about snarfing up the rest of them.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it for gun stocks. Sure disappointed it is discontiued.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin