MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Need decanting die for 6.5 x55SE cases.

Cool Need decanting die for 6.5 x55SE cases.

I have a batch of 6.5 x 55SE cases that I can not decap.
    The decaping pin is too large!
    Who makes a decanting die that comes with a smaller diameter pin than my Universal decanting die?
    Thank you!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    Used a good file while rotating the decapping pin in a hand drill to reduce the size for mine.

A sizer die for the 6mm PPC has a small pin. You might be able to use the pin in your present die. I'm guessing you're decanting some whiskey to ease the frustration while trying to decap your cases.

Check with the maker of your sizing die. If it is RCBS they will probably just mail a couple.

Also, are you sure they are not Berdan cases?

Boolit Master
    There is a European size that is slightly smaller - not too surprising to run into it for 6.5 Swede brass.

I use a handheld decapper which has the option for a smaller decapping pin.
    https://harveydeprimer.com/

Boolit Master
    I have encountered smaller than 'normal' primer flash holes in S&B brass, though I believe that this was with 22 Hornet brass. I would take a decapping pin and turn it down slightly using what tools you have on hand.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm guessing you're decanting some whiskey to ease the frustration while trying to decap your cases.

Finally , the answer appears.

Boolit Master
    You can basically decant any beverage. Smarty pants answer aside: Did you check to make sure that the cases aren't Bredan primed? I broke a decapping pins once because - who the heck expects 30-06 to be Bredan primmed?!

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

When I have problems decapping, I use a small diameter hand held punch and a brass hammer with the cases either positioned over a narrow gap on a bench vise or with the cases in the shell holder on a block of wood.

If the cases do indeed have primer vents too small for normal standard diameter decapping pins, I'd drill them out to the proper diameter. I recently had to do this with new .35 Winchester cases from Quality Cartridge Company, after breaking a pin on the first case. If you go this way, take the time to inside de-burr and do a few quick turns with a hand held primer pocket uniforming tool. It's time consuming, but you'll only have to do this once, and then all of your cases will be the same without concern of having to switch decapping pins for odd sized primer vents.

Boolit Mold
    Many,many years ago I got a deal on Herters 6.5x55, made in Finland. Had this problem, got a new decapping stem with the small pin. Still works fine, in both size flashholes.