RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible

The must be 40-50 Blackhawk 45's around our gun club, all with throat jobs too and they shoot really great. One is mine and shooting small groups with good handloads and cast boolits. Actually it got boring because it shoots so well so, I bought a 44 Spec flat top and now working with that one but got lucky as the throats are all equal at .431 and having a great trigger besides! Very accurate with Skeeter loads plus reduced loads of 231.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Belt Mountain makes a Locking base pin - little allen screw. Works very well.
    Long ago I bought one, hopefully still in business.
    Linebaugh pins were Very similar. Never back out, never loosen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Belt Mountain makes a Locking base pin - little allen screw. Works very well.
    Long ago I bought one, hopefully still in business.
    Linebaugh pins were Very similar. Never back out, never loosen.
    I bought the Belt Mountain pins and locks many years ago. Solved the problem. I have also read (and it may have been on this forum) that you can file the groove in the base pin a little deeper and that helps.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Buy the revolver and see if your boolits will even go in the cylinder throats from the front. THERE is your guide.

The reason my work has received so many glowing reviews is that revolvers that I have worked on the cylinder(s) and hammer shoot MUCH improved groups when compared with pre-throating work groups. THERE is your proof!
    Yes, yes, and yes! (???) Well, I PM'd Doug Guy and had quite the delightful conversation/education. The result? In a bit I'm planning on doing a major (for me) expedition to get to the back of the safe; find my Ruger 5241 and remove both cylinders, and post them to him (along with a cheque). My thoughts vis my earlier post in this thread included the, "if it ain't broke -- why fix it?". E.g., the revolver had/has been shooting OK, so "why?".
    BUT, after a delightful conversation with Doug -- this has changed to "why not?"
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes! (???) Well, I PM'd Doug Guy and had quite the delightful conversation/education. The result? In a bit I'm planning on doing a major (for me) expedition to get to the back of the safe; find my Ruger 5241 and remove both cylinders, and post them to him (along with a cheque). My thoughts vis my earlier post in this thread included the, "if it ain't broke -- why fix it?". E.g., the revolver had/has been shooting OK, so "why?".
    BUT, after a delightful conversation with Doug -- this has changed to "why not?"
    geo
    Trust me...You won't be disappointed!

He's done 5 cylinders for me to date and all of them shoot amazingly well. In fact, I have one more that I need to get over to him at some point in the near future.

Boolit Buddy
    I reamed my own cylinders, all were undersized in both cylinders. In my particular gun, 45ACP with a 200 grain SWC with 4-5 grains of Bullseye is most accurate.

Mike

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Trust me...You won't be disappointed!

He's done 5 cylinders for me to date and all of them shoot amazingly well. In fact, I have one more that I need to get over to him at some point in the near future.
    I had unforeseen transportation to local Post Office Saturday morning... so my two cylinders are in what I hope to be a gorilla-proof taped insured SFR box headed his way as I type this! With my increasing lack of mobility I have pretty much been in a slide from shooting long guns at range to now, pretty much all handguns. (A big plus with revolvers for me is not having the need to retrieve brass from ground!)
    From what I've read/heard of DougGuy's work -- I'm pretty certain my Blackhawk 45AC)/45 Colt WILL be my #1 firearm at the range, God willing, in 2024! I have a Montado Ruger which could use improvement...I'm already thinking on sending that one's .357 cylinder to him, later.
    geo

Boolit Master

+1 on the belt mountain base pins. They are slightly tighter and do not walk on you. Had one for my 44 Blackhawk and one for my stainless Bearcat. Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Well George I guess we will see how much farther you are from North Carolina than I am, as I also sent Doug a set of cylinders Saturday morning. One from a RBH in 45 LC (5.5 inch)and one from a RSBH (4 5/8). What load are you guys using to get this great accuracy from your 45’s?
    Last edited by fordwannabe; 11-19-2023 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Buddy
    After Doug opened up my cylinder throats and I firelapped for 12 shots, EVERY SINGLE LOAD shoots under 2" at 25 yards with a few exceptions. Slow 350 grain bullets don't shoot well. Sloppy loaded ACPs don't shoot well if the bullet is loaded with runout or if any lead gets scraped when seating. Outside of that, anything you can cobble together will shoot good enough. Pick your bullet weight and desired velocity, and your first load will shoot 2" or less at 25.

Boolit Buddy
    That’s good to know

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    That’s good to know
    fordwannabe please clear some space in your inbox it is full and cannot accept any more messages.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-21-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry Doug. Done!