Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal case bulge

Boolit Bub

40 cal case bulge

I couldn't find if this was brought up before. but I have a few hundred pieces of 40 brass that won't case gauge even after sizing they seem to be a small swelling near the base. I had thought of going to a lee or rcbs bulge buster but the more i read about bulging cases I wonder if it's recommended. I must of bought the brass off someone since I've never loaded or shot them. What's the opinion here? Thanks Bill

Sometimes ammo fired in a Glock are problematic like that.

I'd try the bulge buster, but it it doesn't fix them, they're gonners.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    In the course of trying to decide what to do I read some stuff that claimed the cases would be thinned from the "swelling" I figured they were probably shot out of a Glock. Its not a biggie to trash them but it seems like a waste. On the other hand I really don't want any problems.

toss em. Unsupported chamber (feed ramp area) in older Glocks. Watch out for 40SW brass head stamp FC - known case head failure - a real surprise when it goes.
    Whatever!

I use the Redding push-through die.
    Works great.

Boolit Master
    I've seen the same thing, but they pass the "plunk test" and I've been shooting then for years with no problem.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

What does your chamber tell you? A lot of cases might not pass a gauge, but will chamber freely. If they plunk in your chamber, Id load and shoot them.

A little bulge is fine, if they have the "Glock smiley" from the unsupported feed ramp, I'd toss them. If you see no obvious marks or "smiles" they shouldn't be damaged.

Boolit Master
    Well that is called a glock smile.
    The below does not look too terrible

or like below that looks worst.

Boolit Grand Master

When I first became involved in shooting 40 S&W's (about 25 years ago) I bought some once fired brass from the Police Department. A lot of the cases appeared identical to yours and was told that they were probably fired in Glocks too. I bought one of the Lee "Bulge-busters" and ran close to 5,000 cases through it. To date, I have never experienced a web failure in shooting them through all three of my pistols.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I am putting together a G22 as a general defensive pistol for my little estate in Florida. It is in 9mm at the moment, but I have decided that a heavily load forty with speer 180 gold dots with longshot powder would be the best general purpose load say at close to 1100 fps using an after market 5 inch barrel. Should work well on bad people & auto sheet metal and if needed on a up to medium hog or medium black bear.
    I have 1,000s of rounds of once fired brass from sales and also trading.
    For longshot powder and a 4 inch barrel.
    I will get a 5 inch after market barrel if I cut the charge maybe 0.75 grains I likely can still get close to 1100 is what I figure with a 5 inch barrel.
    6.3 1,013 26,200 PSI
    7.5 1,150 33,400 PSI

The point is to keep the pressure at 30K PSI. I always try to load a little under the top listed pressure. 1100 should result mushrooming of the bullet, butthe 180 golddot should hopefully still penetrate if I ever had a conflict with a bear.

Speer Gold Dot Bullets 40 S&W, 10mm Auto (400 Diameter) 180 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
    1111 Reviews
    List Price is $46.99. Our Price is $37.99.

$37.99($0.38 per bullet) out stock. at midway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    toss em. Unsupported chamber (feed ramp area) in older Glocks. Watch out for 40SW brass head stamp FC - known case head failure - a real surprise when it goes.
    Is the FC for federal cartridge. I guess it is worth looking up if some cases are known for failure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Is the FC for federal cartridge. I guess it is worth looking up if some cases are known for failure.
    I did a quick google and from the highroad:

Jun 11, 2004

It's not a model issue.

It's related to several things.

1. Glocks don't tolerate lead bullets well due to the rifling method used. Using lead bullets can cause a dangerous increase chamber pressures during firing.

2. .40 S&W ammunition is very sensitive to bullet setback with the 180 grain loading being the most sensitive. Even relatively small amounts of bullet setback in this loading can cause chamber pressures during firing to rise to unsafe levels.

3. Glock chambers are cut on the generous side which allows the brass to expand more than usual upon firing. This weakens the brass more than normal which means that using reloaded brass, or especially reloading .40 brass from rounds shot in a Glock can compound the #2 problem while also increasing the chances that the case will fail.

If you stick to high quality factory ammo with bullet weights under 180 grains and stay away from aluminum case ammo, you should have no problem. Federal ammo seems to be over-represented in the failures associated with factory ammo--might want to stay away from them although I usually recommend their ammo in most cases.

For what it's worth, this phenomenon is not limited to Glocks. There have been kB!s in most brands--and in other calibers than .40. The .40 Glock does seem to get more than its share, but it's likely that some of this is due to the large number of these guns in service.

Boolit Bub
    being the cheap sucker I am It's killin me but in the scrape heap they go, just too many questions and no posistive answers. I like my 40's and shooting but this isn't, to my way of thinking, a safe thing to just hope it's all good. Blew a 45 up a while ago never figured out what really caused it. I really don't want to have that happen again. Thanks Bill

If the web wil not resize with a normal sizing die, toss it. If the primer pocket is enlarged, toss it. No if and or buts, scrap it.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

I bought the Lee bulge buster kit.
    So, when I buy 40S&W range brass:
    First I inspect them visually, and reject anything I can see that looks suspect. Then I size the whole batch with a bulge buster. If you are correctly setup, it goes faster than sizing cast bullets with a Lee push through sizer. If one case seems extra difficult, then it gets another inspection and maybe culled. After several hundred, you'll develop a feel.
    That's my 2˘
    good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

bulge buster.. push thru sizer.. lee fcd if it is the style with the carbide ring to iron out cases..etc..

FC head stamp has a known case head fracture and was recalled. Toss it! I shot one, entire case head came off, left the body in the chamber. Didn't damage the pistol.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    If the web wil not resize with a normal sizing die, toss it. If the primer pocket is enlarged, toss it. No if and or buts, scrap it.
    This is I think the proper responce for me. It's just not worth it to save a few pieces of brass then screw up a gun or me. If you've never had a gun "blow" up it's not pleasent and underwear ain't cheap

I too toss "Glocked" brass, it's not worth the trouble to sort, and prepare them.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Bub
    One of the deal breakers for me (other then the potential safety issue) was the cost of saving cases between bulge buster and die to say nothing of time. I think it just not for me. Thanks Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast