Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sporterized type 99 Japanese Arisaka

Boolit Master

And super strong! I think P.O.Ackley in his experiments years ago did finally manage to blow the barrel completely out of the front of one with a absolutely incredible overload but never did blow the bolt out or blow the action. Darn good action!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    That’s quite a pretty sporterization on that 99. Glad it shoots well. I’ve seen sporterized 99’s for around that price here, but they’re simply chopped, dirty, and in generally poor condition. Excellent deal on what appears to be an excellent rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first question is: How could you walk away from it the first time you saw it? That if a beautiful rifle obviously crafted by a true artist. Ya done good! I bet you are going to have years of fun with that one. Well done.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    My first question is: How could you walk away from it the first time you saw it? That if a beautiful rifle obviously crafted by a true artist. Ya done good! I bet you are going to have years of fun with that one. Well done.
    Honestly, I walked away the first 2 times because of it being right handed bolt, and the chambering. I tend to think of guns having a useful purpose instead of just collecting, and right now I don’t have a place to reload. The deciding factor for me was finding the 4 boxes of ammo so that I could shoot it until I have my reloading bench set back up.

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifle, it talks to me also!

Boolit Master

You sure have a beautiful 99 Japanese rifle. Well done.
    I saw your picture and had to take a second look as it was done up very close the the way mine was done. Likely a favorite sporterization method being done at that time was to use a full length stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rick's Six Point 2013.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	319988

My very similar set up in a 6.5mm Japanese carbine. One of my favorite thick woods guns. This is a 6.5mm Type 38 carbine rechambered to 6.5x257 Roberts. Bishop full length stock. Turned down and jeweled bolt. El Paso 2 1/2 power Weaver.

I ordered a throat reamer from Pacific Tool & Die and reamed the throat deep enough to chamber a .268 dia. Hornady 160 gr. rn Carcano bullet seated out to 2.99 OAL. that barely squeezes through the slightly over 3" magazine. Works perfect for seated out fat cast bullets as well.

I bedded the action a bit and it shoots really accurately. The bore is .269. Mum is ground off.

I love the Jap rifles.

Attachment 319989

Same carbine with a 3x9 Bushnell. I now carry it with the 2 1/2 power El Passo Weaver, which is likely more appropriate for the time period that this carbine was sporterized.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 11-15-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12