RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Traditional ML sights

Boolit Master

Traditional ML sights

I normally shoot a BPCR, I know they are a new thing that will never catch on.
    Recently I was talked into shooting a match with a front stuffer. Hey, it's kinda fun!
    So I want to go to the next match. Here is my problem. On my BPCR I have a great set of sights. A great Soule sight on the rear and a globe front sight. My ML is an CVA traditional hunter with a blade front sight and a buckhorn rear. Now, I am OK with the front sight. But, the rear sight is driving me crazy. I cannot guesstamate the drop. What have you folks done about an adjustable rear sight. There doesn't seem to be enough tang on this rifle for a tang sight. I don't want some non-traditional sight that will bump me up with the inline plastic stock guys. I am thinking about a Skinner ladder sight.
    I am sure some of you have found a solution to this problem. The farthest I will shoot is rams @ 200 yards.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot ML rifles from 25 to 100 yds and simply held more front sight at longer distances.

There are certainly examples of muzzleloading rifles with period tang sights. Some of the Whitworth guns had sights that greatly resemble those used on later cartridge rifles - you might want to check into that option before ruling them out.

A ladder style is fine but you are still dealing with a similar sight radius.

Boolit Buddy
    You may want to clarify what the muzzleloaders in your area consider a traditional sight. The traditional matches around here consider traditional as open iron sights and patched round ball and mostly shot offhand. As you shoot more you get better at estimating distance and the drop. Dead on at 50 yards will be about 8-10 inches low at 100 and 14-16 low at 125 --- or there bouts. Each rifle is a little different but more practice gets you there. As HWooldridge said, hold a little courser front sight for longer distance and also for extremely close.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have fitted a CVA side hammer with T/C Contender rear sights. Holes lined up, as I remember, and it was just a bolt on job. They improved my groups significantly, and are adjustable.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Figure how much front sight you need to hold up. With my .62, the base of the front sight puts me right on at 225 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Have any of you guys who use front sight hold ups ever put any marks on the front sight?
    I bought this rifle years ago from a guy at my gun club. He thought that a building a rifle from a kit was the same as putting the rifle back together after cleaning. It still bears the marks of him trying to drive the back sight into the dove tail. I have shot it over the years but this is my first time getting serious. I have a lot to learn.
    I hope the guy who used to come in last at these shoots appreciates my starting to show up!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Marks work on a front sight for a pistol but my eyes aren’t good enough to see stripes on a rifle. Maybe your vision is up to the task.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Recently I was talked into shooting a match with a front stuffer. Hey, it's kinda fun!
    So I want to go to the next match. Here is my problem. On my BPCR I have a great set of sights. A great Soule sight on the rear and a globe front sight. My ML is an CVA traditional hunter with a blade front sight and a buckhorn rear. Now, I am OK with the front sight. But, the rear sight is driving me crazy. I cannot guesstamate the drop. What have you folks done about an adjustable rear sight. There doesn't seem to be enough tang on this rifle for a tang sight. I don't want some non-traditional sight that will bump me up with the inline plastic stock guys. I am thinking about a Skinner ladder sight.
    I am sure some of you have found a solution to this problem. The farthest I will shoot is rams @ 200 yards.
    I put a set of cheap daisy air gun sights on my ML, double peep; Wrote down all comeups on the stock; for as far out as needed ?? works very good for me...

Boolit Buddy

The buckhorn sight can be tricky. If you hold at the top of the buck horns you will be at max distance. If you file a groove in base , it your closest. Ideally an express setup with three pop up leaves woul be the solution. probably not traditional enough. Good luck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    I only shoot round ball in front loaders and our matches dont go past 100yards - set sights dead on at 100, six o'clock hold at 50

OR older CVA's with 66twist - I would load 50 grains at 50 yards and 75 or 80 grains for 100yards - and hold same for all distance - I never identified a change of accuracy with those older CVA barrels (equal to the best in the business at that time - the rifling dimensions were perfect)

Boolit Master
    There used to be a double Buckhorn rear sight that kinda intrigued me. With the right front sight a a decent amount of doping, I always thought you could get the effects of a multi leafed rear sight in something fixed. Oh yeah, it was a dovetail mounted sight.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience