Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: i was just thinking

Banned

i was just thinking

i wonder if the stupid idea of wasting money on a new battle round will bring surplus powder for the 556s back again. i sure miss 70 buck a keg powder and im half way through my last keg. i bought 8 kegs of it years back and thought i was set for life but with me shooting alot more 556 i could sure use 8 more.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i wonder if the stupid idea of wasting money on a new battle round will bring surplus powder for the 556s back again. i sure miss 70 buck a keg powder and im half way through my last keg. i bought 8 kegs of it years back and thought i was set for life but with me shooting alot more 556 i could sure use 8 more.

Hard to say because of the Ukraine and Israel thing going on both are being supplied with 5.56, I am told lake city canceled all commercial ammo sales

I doubt it.

The way supply chains work now days, there probably isn't some big mountain of 5.56 powder
    anywhere that will just be 'left over'. Unlike at the end of WWII,
    we won't just keep making and stock piling war materials like what happened back then.

Then there's the chance the new round will use 5.56 powder for at least some of its variants.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Manufacturers of everything adopted the "Just in Time" production mantra. Ruined a lot of opportunity for bargains these days.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Manufacturers of everything adopted the "Just in Time" production mantra. Ruined a lot of opportunity for bargains these days.
    Not to mention NO DELIVERY when needed.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I doubt it.

The way supply chains work now days, there probably isn't some big mountain of 5.56 powder
    anywhere that will just be 'left over'. Unlike at the end of WWII,
    we won't just keep making and stock piling war materials like what happened back then.

Then there's the chance the new round will use 5.56 powder for at least some of its variants.
    Military and civilian supply chains operate much differently. Surplus GI powders come from two sources. Pulldowns or contract over runs. Both are in short supplies due to current events. Chances are good things will get worse not better.

Both the US and NATO maintain large inventories of small arms ammo available if need for multiple front wars and WWIII. That is why NATO opted to standardization for common rounds.

As to the 6.8x51 having an effect on available surplus powder it makes little difference since the 10 year contract for the XM7 and XM250 are only about 110,000 units out of total inventory of about 4.5 million small arms in the US military. Chances are the 6.8x51 will use a different powder than WC844 or WC846.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-10-2023 at 11:59 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

i do know 846 works great in the 308. ive shot thousands of them using it.. so im sure it would work well in the 270 short too. but knowing the way DC likes to waste money im sure they want some high tech powder produced by the company that slides the most under the table

Banned

think i almost got scammed the other day. i found 846 for 225 shipped for 16lbs. tried to place an order and they said only paypal. they said click on place order then go there. didnt like but i clicked and went there and there was nothing. so back to there chat and they gave me a paypal address and said go there and send the money as a gift. even im not that stupid. anyone know of any legit sellers of 844 or 846 that has it in stock?

Boolit Buddy
    Try Jeff Bartlett Reloading in Owensboro, Ky. Been there, bought some. Good guy to deal with.

Boolit Master

Not surplus - But Local Sporting Goods Store had W748 and BLC-2 on sale marked down 10% - Still about $31 per pound for each. But..... They also had a 15% off for Veterans this Veterans day Weekend - Means I paid $26.50 per pound; no Shipping, and no Hazmat. I bought two pounds of each; even though I still have a few of each on the shelf in the Reloading Shed.

Would I buy Surplus W844 and W846 if it were available - You Bet. I have used quite a few Gallon Jugs of Each over the last 40 Years and would buy it of it were available again at a fair price.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Try Jeff Bartlett Reloading in Owensboro, Ky. Been there, bought some. Good guy to deal with.
    he hasnt had any in a few years. neither has Pats. thats what really made me think this was a scam. usually if those two dont have it nobody does

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Not surplus - But Local Sporting Goods Store had W748 and BLC-2 on sale marked down 10% - Still about $31 per pound for each. But..... They also had a 15% off for Veterans this Veterans day Weekend - Means I paid $26.50 per pound; no Shipping, and no Hazmat. I bought two pounds of each; even though I still have a few of each on the shelf in the Reloading Shed.

Would I buy Surplus W844 and W846 if it were available - You Bet. I have used quite a few Gallon Jugs of Each over the last 40 Years and would buy it of it were available again at a fair price.
    thats about as cheap as ive seen powder lately. but i think the drive to nevada would raise the cost up a bit.id buy all you can because i doubt youll ever see it cheaper