Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help needed with 05 Impala 3400

Boolit Master
    My GMC had issues for months and I sent it to a friend out in the glades. He is an auto computer genius, he hooked up his lap top and tested a bunch of stuff and it was a crankshaft position indicator. Mine would start and run for long enough to get hot then shut down. Mine was a 6 liter P/U. worth looking into.

I think I'm going to roll the dice and try a salvage yard early in the morning. Before all the 'tweakers' show up. Pretty sketchy place at times.

Boolit Master
    It's not a head gasket. It will run but spew coolant. With out a scan tool to look at data your throwing darts at the wall. Take it to a shop

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    It's not a head gasket. It will run but spew coolant. With out a scan tool to look at data your throwing darts at the wall. Take it to a shop
    Yeah, well I'm not going to. I have a scan tool. No codes. And it ain't one if the cheap ones.

There are help wanted signs everywhere I go. Auto shops aren't immune to the lack of warm bodies that will even show up, let alone people who know how to diagnose problems. Dealerships are no exception.

I could point out a really good reason why that is but I don't want this thread to go to the pit so I'll just stop now.

As an aside, the last time my stepdaughter took her older car to the dealership to diagnose an air conditioning problem they came back with a laundry list of $3K in parts and hadn't even taken anything apart yet. I replaced the Schrader valves, pulled a vacuum overnight and recharged it. That was about 18 months ago. Less than $100 in parts and refrigerant.

Not impressed.

So the car is fixed. I bought a used ICM at the local salvage yard for $30. Installed it. Started right up and test drove it. Runs as good as it has since I've owned it.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

As an aside, if you do your own work and your local parts supplier offers testing I recommend that you take advantage of that. Apparently a whole lot of folks aren't.

They'll test your stuff for free, even if you don't buy their $240 part and get the $30 one from the junkyard.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    So the car is fixed. I bought a used ICM at the local salvage yard for $30. Installed it. Started right up and test drove it. Runs as good as it has since I've owned it.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

As an aside, if you do your own work and your local parts supplier offers testing I recommend that you take advantage of that. Apparently a whole lot of folks aren't.

They'll test your stuff for free, even if you don't buy their $240 part and get the $30 one from the junkyard.
    Open up the old one... you may find bad solder joints the culprit and soldering them may get you a spare module

Boolit Grand Master
    No lights came on when it died????
    None at all????
    Did they come on when you tried to start it again????
    Do they come on now with KOEF????
    No codes stored????
    I would start checking ground wires.
    Start at the battery, check body ground wires, check ground under the dash.
    If no codes, and no dash warning lights, probably a bad ground someplace.
    Once with a Blazer that had a dash display problem, I tapped in to the ground wire in the dash, and grounded it.
    Problem went away, and it seemed to run much better.
    Just a suggestion.