RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .380 Mould suggestion

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I got rid of all .380s some years ago but had a Makarov and several PPK/s. In my notes, it shows a 93 gr. RCBS round nose design as best, closely followed by a Lyman 100 grain flat nose. If you like a heavy bullet, the 122 grain SAECO flat nose was a good one. As I recall, all the bullets functioned well through my guns. I tested at 25 yards. I tried a variety of powders including Bullseye, 231, Unique, Blue Dot, and Herco. 231 was easily the best powder for accuracy and velocities were decent as well.
    Was your Makarov.380 or 9x18? In my experience, .356 boolets are to small for 9x18 and .365 is to big for .380. At least that’s the results I’ve found. I shoot a lot of 9x18.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Was your Makarov.380 or 9x18? In my experience, .356 boolets are to small for 9x18 and .365 is to big for .380. At least that’s the results I’ve found. I shoot a lot of 9x18.
    It was a .380. I sized bullets to .356". Accurate, just as in the PPK/Ss.

I have settled on the 95 gr Lee over 2.5 gr Promo (Red Dot clone) for my 380 FEG Walther knockoff. I also tried the Lee 102 gr round nose, but didn't see any appreciable advantage. They both cycled fine. Boolits heavier than those may require very deep seating to fit magazines in most 380s.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    6-cav Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF - unavailable
    or
    4-cav NOE TL358-100-RF-BE2 - unavailable
    or
    2-cav Lee TL356-95-RF - affordable and available
    Accurate Molds 35-098R - basically the same mold that can be cut to specified diameter with preferred alloy, and quickly delivered once ordered.

I'm using the NOE version from an older run. It is VERY similar in profile to Winchester's Q4206 flat point FMJ which is my preferred thing in these lower power rounds where expansion would render penetration insufficient. Have confirmed it to run smoothly in Old Colts and FN's, 1980's PPK, Glock 42, and Ruger LCP.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I have two. As suggested the lil 95 g LEE IS A DANDY!!

But I like HP so the MP 356-95 is my first pic. Cast about 10:1 it expands nicely.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I once owned a Llama .380 modeled after the 1911 and I used a 125 gr cast, flat base no gas check. Really worked well.
    There were no published loads for that slug so I worked up one myself...carefully. I remember I used Bullseye for the powder.
    The suggestion for a 95 gr slug is probably more sane and I am sure there is published data for that slug.
    In a 1971-vintage Lyman reloading manual, there was data for a 115 gr. bevel-based projectile with which velocities approaching 900 f/s were obtained. While I agree that 95 - 100 gr. is a "more sensible" weight range, I do not think that 125 gr. is as outrageous as it may seem.
    I. too, tried to ruin a locking breach Llama .380 by hot-loading it, and had best results with 115 gr. cast bullets and Unique or Herco.
    From the LEE line-up of bullets, my first choice would be the 358-105-SWC, IF it can well and truly be sized appropriately and made to feel reliably. If either of these conditons cannot be met, then my choice would be the TL-356-95-RF.
    While any propellant will work "OKAY" in .380, I've found that (now) Alliant Unique, or Herco, or Accurate AA#5 will tend to give best velocities, if at the expense of considerable muzzle flash. BE-86 is very similar to Unique in terms of reloading data, and reduces muzzle flash somewhat.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I have had good results using the Lee TL356-95 in a PK380. From my mold these weigh 97 grains and work well over 4.4 grains of Power Pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a ranch dog precursor to the Lee TL356-95 but lately I have been using an Accurate 35-100L, a ~100 grain TC that casts like a dream. I only wish I had ordered a 4 cavity. The various RN molds all work well, but the Lee 6 cavity 102 grain is cheaper and works just as good as any other.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12