Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 452-255 rf

Boolit Master

Cool Lee 452-255 rf

Got out for a little while yesterday, & slipped into the woods & took the Ruger #3 454 Casull. It was loaded with 13.5 gr 800-X & the LEE 452-255 RF PC'd. Was there about 50 min & a young Yotie slipped in through some cedars in front of me at about 30yds. It was kinda thick in there so it took a second or two for him to get into a clearing in order to shoot. I popped off a round & here he came, ran about 8 yds above me & then over the hill. He got about 125 yds running down hill on the other side, with a gaping hole through His side right behind the shoulder. Blood was everywhere. So I went & got my little Mtn. Feist & she tracked him down in that thicket Didn't take long maybe 4-min. or so. And was I impressed with that bullet mold. Gotta get a deer & a Bear this year with that little honey. It was a good day! -06

Boolit Master

My Rossi also likes 13.5g of 800x. I forgot how poorly that powder meters!! Hahaha

I also love the profile of LEE 255!! But have not tried it in the Rossi yet.

I took a Coyote with a FTX 200g @ 1850 fps. Bullet entered behind shoulder a d turned and exited with a 4" sq FLAP from between front legs!! He went 5-6' and was floppin and spinning. I made that shot LH and broke my nose for my trouble... But I killed the Bambi eater!

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Good story and shot, versa-06. Even with the finest placed shot with incredible damage an animal can and does run a piece before succumbing to the mortal wound. Deer and Bear shouldn't fare any better when hit with that chunk of lead.
    I just looked up that boolit profile and WOW, that is a meat eater of a slug. Not much round to that RF design. Wonder how it shoots out of a .450 Bushmaster? Know a guy interested in casting for his at some point and that might be a good mold, if it will feed well enough.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hope to read more before the season is out. Pictures, too......

Vendor Sponsor

I used to hunt right there off Burdette Rd.

I got to looking for a wide meplat 250gr boolit for deer, and I found the LBT, 250gr, OWC-PB at Montana Bullet Works.

I load this in 45 Schofield brass, one of my Vaqueros has a 45 Schofield cylinder fitted to it, using H110 I was able to get that flying oilcan to 1180-1200fps and stay just under the 23kpsi pressure ceiling. If I do get to do any hunting, that would be my cross draw carried woods walker.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Good to know! I’ve been looking at 45 colt molds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was placing an order with Midway USA & was a couple of dollars short of free shipping & this mold was on sale for $29 & change so I got it Just after I started in with the 454's. A lot less powder & no fillers compared to the 45-70. I'm getting plenty of velocity especially with the 1885 454 with a 26" barrel & a 314 gr boolit PC'd using W-296. The Ruger #3 has a 20" barrel & composite stock. It is super light & handy in the thick stuff. -06.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast COWW+2% , load with Unique. Taken several deer and asst critters with it. The 358125RF is a fine one as well.

Boolit Master
    cwlongshot; Metering doesn't effect me in the least. Got all the stuff to speed up the process, but I scale every load one at a time. Takes a little longer but I get to see exactly how much goes in the brass. Not for everyone, but works for me, besides I'm retired & can afford a little extra time. -06

Boolit Master
    I've had that Lee mold for years. Thinking about putting another 450 BM together and trying this one powder coated, see if it will feed. It has a bodacious meplat.

Been playing with it in my 50 caliber muzzleloader lately. Cast of some pure lead mixed with just enough wheel weights to make it cast easy. Harvester black ribbed sabot sized .452, Did some jug testing yesterday and at 100 yards 70 grains of 3f sings it through 4 gallon milk jugs splitting all four. I was going to use 60 grains but 70 is more accurate. I just don't need more power where I hunt with this rifle.

Lee 452-255 rf

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    I've had that Lee mold for years. Thinking about putting another 450 BM together and trying this one powder coated, see if it will feed. It has a bodacious meplat.
    it feeds alright in a bolt gun. i was using a ruger american .450. sometimes you will have to help it into the chamber.

i played around with it in my gun powder coated. i sized to .452 and .454 and it didn’t seem to make a difference. i couldn’t get it to shoot worth a darn with lil-gun. 5744 was better but, i never went below 1600 fps with it. i think you can get it to work but, your going to have to find the right powder combo for it. little gun comes up to pressure very quick and i think even with powder coating it was distorting the base at ignition. if lee made a gas checked version it would be better

lee makes a 300 grain gas checked version but, it has a very big met plate. i would size that one right at .452 the first time to see what happens.

this bullet shot fairly well out of my TC triumph bone collector with around 70 grains of 777 loose powder. i put the bullet into a black mmp crushed sabot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk