MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So glad I sold my M70

Banned

i like the looks of a laminate but there so blasted heavy

Boolit Master
    The compass is gone because no one knew they would shoot so well till they got bought up for $225. How much profit is there in a $225 rifle and the liability that goes with it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i like the looks of a laminate but there so blasted heavy
    My Savage Axis with laminate is sweet but is the heaviest rifle I own, weighs a full pound and a half more than my identical Axis with plastic stock. I think it even weighs more than my Howa 1500 with heavy varmint profile barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I hate plastic, I refuse to deal with it on a sporting rifle. I'll admit though, my old Model 70 .30/06 (1953) is a beast to carry very far anymore. Accuracy? Not a problem, it'll shoot with anything made today. I'll not be parting with it. It still goes out occasionally on nice days where I don't walk very far. Besides, it has something not very many new rifles can claim, Iron Sights!

A little over two years ago I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in .338 Win. Mag. with a laminated stock. I think it's weight is comparable to my M-70, but it feels more comfortable to carry. It may well have the best designed stock of any bolt action I've ever picked up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MUL7n0nh.jpg  
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

What? No 6.5-20x 50mm scope on that Winchester?? How are you going to hunt with that??
    PS, I love little scopes.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Laminated stocks: Some years ago I bought an M1 from DCM. It was a return from the Philippines and the stock, front hand guard, and rear hand guard were all different kinds of wood, which offended my sensibilities somehow. So I bought a laminated stock set, which worked for me. Gave the old stocks to a friend, whose M1 stock had worn loose. He was not bothered by different woods, he just painted them all flat marine corps green and put on.
    Still, my grey laminated M1 makes me feel better.

All the talk of selling guns is unsettling. During the time (70 years ?) since I started collecting guns, I only ever sold 1 that shot well, and I still regret it. I have sold a number of guns that shot poorly, at very cheap prices, usually as project guns. I have, however, given away at least 20 guns to relatives and friends who I thought should have them.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    I guess the difference is that people like me don't 'collect' firearms. If I don't use a gun for more than a year I sell it. Accurate or not, if I don't like to shoot it enough to get it out once a year or more, then I don't keep it.

Boolit Master
    Had a nice pre-war M70 30/06 that I hunted with for years but the weight got to be more than my arthritis could tolerate. Sold it and can't say as I miss it. My Ruger #3 in 30/40 is getting to the same point and expect it will be replaced for hunting with my M70 FWT in 243.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 compass’s and they all shoot half MOA

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    What? No 6.5-20x 50mm scope on that Winchester?? How are you going to hunt with that??
    PS, I love little scopes.
    Yup, that old weaver is well suited to that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Yup, that old weaver is well suited to that rifle.
    It sure is. For the life of me, I cannot see why Leupold quit making the 4x Compact with regular duplex reticle. They also made a long tube 3x for dangerous game guns on special order but, alas, no more. The little 2x7 compact scopes were a nice one as well. But.. that was before the 1000 yd TV hunting shows! Don't get me wrong, the long range scopes are a great insturment but when you hunt close enough the see the whiskers on a deer, they are a bit out of place.
    That model 70 looks just right with that Weaver--IMHO.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Perfect scope for the Appalachain hard woods.

I wonder if Leupold would do a group buy for 4x compacts with a regular Duplex??

Boolit Master
    IMHO the lower power scopes have gone away due to red dots. Yeah, they look ugly on older guns but they work well. And if you need a bit of magnification you can easily add one to the 'rail'.

The red dots have their place but the 4x scope gives a lot more definition up to around 200 yds and give an added benefit in low light. I guess I am a traditional guy but they just work for me. They must work for a bunch of other shooters because they have held their value or even increased.

Boolit Grand Master

LPVO stands for Low Power Variable Optic and they are more popular than ever. Fixed low power scopes are not common anymore due to most people using LPVO's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor paid 250.00 and got a 50.00 rebate on it
    Gave it to my son
    That rifle would shoot small small groups from the get go
    Not purdy but those groups made up for it
    Would have never let go of the Winchester though, just me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Have a savage laminate stainless 30-06 with a 6x Nikon. It shoots .5 moa with Sierra 165 gr. However my sporterized M96 Husky with a 4x Nikon weighs 1.7 lbs. less, so that is what I deer hunt with. Getting old and stove up takes a toll.

Boolit Master
    The good old days for rifles as far as accuracy ……were not really that good.
    East Tennessee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12