Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So glad I sold my M70

Boolit Grand Master

So glad I sold my M70

As part of my downsizing, I sold my beautiful M70 Coyote .308 this year. It was getting a bit heavy with its 24" barrel and had started using a cheap T/C Compass .308 I got for $225 a few years ago. The Vortex scope I have on it is worth twice what I have into the rifle.

The Compass looked like crap, but it shot as well or better than the M70, and I did not need to fret about it getting dinged up. I have been using it for three or four years and never took the M70 out again. Always one shot, one kill.

Went out to sight in today. Put four rounds into 1.25" at the proper POI. Boringly efficient. One advantage of the ugly plastic stock is no change in POI due to humidity.

I found an accurate load for it in one session. More boredom.

I did screw up. Only bought two of the silly things. My sons' rifle is the same caliber and shoots just as well. I should have invested in a couple more of them.

I might spring for a Boyds At-One laminated stock to spruce it up a bit.
    Don Verna

I wouldn't mess with it if it's reliable and does what you want.

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, ........"

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic stocks is don't change POI due to humidity but some, without bedding blocks, do change POI due to temperature changes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

It is odd how some guns just work and others just look good .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Plastic stocks is don't change POI due to humidity but some, without bedding blocks, do change POI due to temperature changes.
    Why I sighted in today. It was 30 degrees. Opening day November 15th. I have seen below zero and 70 during deer season.

Bambi can live another day if it gets much below 10 degrees. I do not need meat that badly.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Why I sighted in today. It was 30 degrees. Opening day November 15th. I have seen below zero and 70 during deer season.

Bambi can live another day if it gets much below 10 degrees. I do not need meat that badly.
    You and I definitely think alike.

Boolit Master
    I have slowly gotten rid of guns I don't use anymore. Most of them because the accuracy is insufficient to keep my interest.

I did basically the same thing. I sold a mint 1958 Win. mod. 70, 30-06, and replaced it with a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. Can't really say I'm glad I sold it, it was a fine rifle and a joy to look at.
    But, I'm not a collector, I'm a hunter and shooter, I was always worried I'd scratch or ding it up taking it to the field, and I knew somebody out there would love to have and hold the old safe queen.
    It didn't hurt that I got $1450.00 for it and the Vanguard was $420.00. The Vanguard is a tad lighter and shoots 1" groups. So I ended up with a nice beater rifle and an extra grand in my pocket, and some collector found the rifle he wanted at a price he was willing to pay.
    I guess we're both happy, and now I'm going to do my best to try and wear this Weatherby out.
    Deplorable infidel

The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa, by the way. It just has the Weathery name stamped on it by Howa. Howa does make a decent rifle, the action threads are metric.
    Dinging up a new factory stock is why I remove that new factory epoxy finish and refinish with a sanded in oil finish, which is simple to repair. After a few years going to the woods, that epoxy finish gets little grey water spot looking places on it, ugly, from little dings, so I just strip that epoxy mess off a new factory stock at the very start. Just an alternative to getting rid of a favorite rifle or shotgun.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Coyote M70. . . If I remember correctly, that was the blue action / stainless barrel / laminate stock push feeder from the '90's?

Ah. . .the nostalgia of the stuff I used to sell. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Like many here, I have been in the firearms "hobby" since Noah stepped off the ark.

Many calibers, many brands, many load combinations.

I bought a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor "Go Wild" rifle. This Ruger is considered a "budget" rifle.

I routed out the barrel channel (as I do with about every bolt action I have) to get a full free float, 1/16" clearance, not the dollar bill or piece of paper "free float".

Scoped up and using Winchester 6.5 CR factory ammo, (I bought the factory ammo for the brass), this "budget rifle" will group 5 shots into an inch or less @ 100 consistently.

3 shot groups hover around .5" to .75" time after time. No fluke, this Ruger's accuracy is repeatable.

This Ruger American is as accurate or more accurate than any rifle I have owned....and it is doing it with factory ammo. I haven't started to reload for it yet.

This "cheap" rifle and the Winchester ammo really amazed me.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the new rifles are surprising to us old guys. I got a Henry Long Ranger .223. Put an old Nikon 4-12 on it and shot .75 MOA or less with a Sierra Blitzking. Got a Savage Predator 6.5 Creedmoor, Burris Fullfield 6.5-20, just loaded a mild load to sight-in, half to 3/4 MOA without load development, almost boring. It usually takes some fussy to get my Savage 99's under or close to MOA, same with the no-safety Marlin's I have.

Boolit Master

dverna here in Harrison during deer season I have seen 70 degrees and 20 below ! I slept in 70 degrees until the ants found me and did not stay out long at 20 below ! Funny thing just a few miles away it was nearly 40 degrees warmer and cloud cover with a odd looking front between them .

One year I think it was three days that it stayed 0 degrees every now and then 9&10 NEWS mentions it as some kind of a record for November .
    Heavy rain here in Harrison most of the day I did some bullet casting in the pole barn with the big doors open most of the bullets of soft lead will be used as cores to swage .351 & .44 caliber bullets .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    As part of my downsizing, I sold my beautiful M70 Coyote .308 this year. It was getting a bit heavy with its 24" barrel and had started using a cheap T/C Compass .308 I got for $225 a few years ago. The Vortex scope I have on it is worth twice what I have into the rifle.

The Compass looked like crap, but it shot as well or better than the M70, and I did not need to fret about it getting dinged up. I have been using it for three or four years and never took the M70 out again. Always one shot, one kill.

Went out to sight in today. Put four rounds into 1.25" at the proper POI. Boringly efficient. One advantage of the ugly plastic stock is no change in POI due to humidity.

I found an accurate load for it in one session. More boredom.

I did screw up. Only bought two of the silly things. My sons' rifle is the same caliber and shoots just as well. I should have invested in a couple more of them.

I might spring for a Boyds At-One laminated stock to spruce it up a bit.
    I totally get it. I've sold a few guns that were too nice to really hunt with and I already had others that would substitute. Once had a real cherry of an early 70's Marlin 1895, honest 95%+ original finish. Much as I loved that rifle, I knew it was going to get scratched and dinged carrying it in the woods and it was bigger and heavier than I prefer for a lever action. Sold it to a collector for twice what I had in it and bought a Henry single shot that I like alot more. All my hunting rifles had a worn appearance when I got them and/or they're current production so I don't sweat appearance too much.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

10 years back or so I bought a 30-06 Rem 700 off gun broker for $300. It was used but looked good in the pics and I didn't have one. Got it and it had a crack in the stock, no big deal but seemed like reason enough to put it in a Boyds laminate stock and finally scoped it up and took it out. Using my M1 ammo as that was all the 06 ammo I had loaded up, sighted in and then for as long as I wanted to put 3 shots in under a half inch. I have never checked but I'm thinking the rifle was built in the early sixtys, back in the good ol'days! Best $300 rifle I've ever owned.

Don, those T/C Compass's will shoot bug hole groups. A friend has a 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a 1/4" 100 yd gun--with factory ammo! Smith and Wesson decided that since putting the Hillary Hole in revolvers, they could do no wrong, so they scraped Thompson Center off the map. Genius.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Don, those T/C Compass's will shoot bug hole groups. A friend has a 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a 1/4" 100 yd gun--with factory ammo! Smith and Wesson decided that since putting the Hillary Hole in revolvers, they could do no wrong, so they scraped Thompson Center off the map. Genius.
    That's why I'm not interested in rifles like the Compass or various Mossbergs, rifles which are not part of the maker's long established lineup. They are likely to drop the line and product support at any time and aftermarket goodies are pretty much zilch. The Mossberg 464 was surprisingly good 94 copy that cost less than a nice used Winchester, and the Compass had a reputation for incredible accuracy. And they still got thrown from the train. Why take that kind of risk when a Savage Axis costs the same or less and is just as capable? S&W has pooped the bed several times in this manner with various rifles and shotguns, and the T/C debacle is just the latest example.

The same applies to handguns from Savage or Mossberg. Nobody cares about them and they will be dropped with no fanfare at some point. Kentucky has a very healthy gun market and I have never seen either one under the glass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

We are in the golden age of economical, for lack of a better word, rifles that will shoot with the best rifles made. The Compass, RAR, Winchester XPR and offerings by Mossberg and Savage are pretty much all MOA rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    That's why I'm not interested in rifles like the Compass or various Mossbergs, rifles which are not part of the maker's long established lineup. They are likely to drop the line and product support at any time and aftermarket goodies are pretty much zilch. The Mossberg 464 was surprisingly good 94 copy that cost less than a nice used Winchester, and the Compass had a reputation for incredible accuracy. And they still got thrown from the train. Why take that kind of risk when a Savage Axis costs the same or less and is just as capable? S&W has pooped the bed several times in this manner with various rifles and shotguns, and the T/C debacle is just the latest example.

The same applies to handguns from Savage or Mossberg. Nobody cares about them and they will be dropped with no fanfare at some point. Kentucky has a very healthy gun market and I have never seen either one under the glass.
    All this is probably true but the main problem with these seemingly well made and accurate guns is the bean counters who set a numerical goal for sales. When they fall short for whatever reason, they are nixed. I remember Gale McMillan saying that he was designing a new scope made by a Japanese firm. They found a problem with the scope that was going to increase the price by about .30 cents IIRC and the company nixed the entire project. Go figure.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post

Being an old man, stuff like that does not matter to me. A bolt action is not very complex and I did not see future lack of support as much of an issue. At $225 delivered, it was a steal and that is why I bought two.

I don’t put many rounds through a hunting rifle. Maybe 500 rounds in a lifetime…or what lifetime I have left. I suspect I am not alone. There are less expensive ways to get trigger time that I enjoy just as much, if not more, than shooting a .308.

I have spent over $12k on a used competition shotgun, but that is “serious” work. Hunting is not as “serious” to me, and I have other options if a gun breaks down. Plinking and putting holes in paper is what drives up the round count for most of us. And like I said, I am lucky to have other less expensive options to plink with.

One size does not fit all, but IMO a lot of modern cheap guns like the Compass do not compromise performance by being fugly.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast