Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dash cam

Boolit Grand Master

Dash cam

So I got a dash cam.
    Installed it, and it's up and running................I think.
    One thing I have a question about.
    chinese junk, so instructions are strange.
    It says to plug it into the cigg lighter.
    Done.
    But on my car, the lighter is not live if the key is off.
    I'm thinking the cam needs power all the time, but have no idea.
    I'm thinking the can would go off after a while of no movement, unless I turn it off.
    But if I have to turn it off, wouldn't I be doing the samething as it's doing now???

Boolit Master
    Depends on the model, some stay running for a set amount of time after power shuts off. A couple do have the ability to stay on longer or wake up if vehicle motion is detected, it just depends on the battery that it has. I suppose if you wired in an always hot outlet it would just continue to record.

I'd play around with it and see what it does when the car is off.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Bad juju for your battery to have stuff plugged in after the alternator has stopped charging the battery.You’ll find that’s true on some cold morning or significant loss in cranking power.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Bad juju for your battery to have stuff plugged in after the alternator has stopped charging the battery.You’ll find that’s true on some cold morning or significant loss in cranking power.
    the OP is in Hawaii so a cold morning is something like 59 degrees, and that's above zero.
    just saying

Boolit Master

Many vehicles now have "Power Ports" with the same dimensions/profile as the old "Cigarette Lighters", Often the "Power Ports" are on even after the key is turned off. My F350 (1997) and my Toyota Corolla (2001) both operate this way. Newer cars have both these connectors as well as the USB ports. Ones I have experience with, the USB port remains powered after the ignition switch is off also.

P.S. The F350 also has a cigarette lighter = But, It's off when the Key is off.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't know what yours is, mine is a Red Tiger, front and back cams. It uses an ACC (on when key is on, off when key is off) to run the main functions of the cameras. It also connects to an always on source so the "parking" feature will work, if the vehicle gets bumped with a shopping cart or another vehicle it will awaken and start recording. There is no drain on the battery unless and until it needs to wake up and start recording. I can go into settings and specify A. how much force will awaken it, and B. how long it will record before going back dormant.

Until you figure out which lead goes where, it can be very confusing although the hook up directions are explicitly correct. If yours only has one + and one - then no I would not connect it to a power port, connect it to an accessory plug that is off when the key is off.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    All it came with was the wire to plug in to the lighter.
    Instructions said to hard wire, need to buy a kit they sell.
    When I turn the car off, it's stays on for a little while, and turns off.
    chinese instruction don't say if it will stop recording when not moving.
    Didn't say to turn it off when parked.
    I does have a motion and bump function.
    And a back camera.
    Camera is plugged in, but I didn't splice the wire to the rev light.
    Screen so small, it's more or less useless for parking.
    It's set to record both front and rear.
    So it says.

Vendor Sponsor

It would help to know the brand and model you have. The Red Tiger requires the purchase of the hardwire kit, sold separately if you want to use the parking feature.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-07-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

That reminds me I need to get one.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Not necessarily the case with a modern vehicle. There are lots of systems in a modern car that require power when the engine is not running. Thanks like your clock, presets on the radio, certain types of fuel injection, it really depends on the equipment and how much it’s actually drawing . Definitely more of a factor if you reside in an area that your average winter temperature is 20 below (been there done that)! It’s kind of funny but living in a area that has a hot climate cannot times be more detrimental than living in a cold climate. When I moved from the Adirondack mountains of upstate New York( Plattsburgh area) to Florida, I actually wound up replacing more batteries in Florida then I ever did up north!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I have/had cars with both always on "power ports" and even a car with two ports one always on and one on while the car is in Acc. mode or running . Todays power ports are often fuse limited to only 5 amps plugging in a actual cigarette lighter of a old style Q - Beam with blow that fuse fast!
    I have thought about a camera for driving decided against it for now .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I have thought about a camera for driving decided against it for now .
    Get run off the interstate on purpose at 75+mph by a huge RV with nothing but a steep ravine instead of a shoulder. If I could have gotten one hand off the steering wheel fighting for our lives, I would have emptied a 7rd magazine into his driver's door, you will WISH you had put cameras in before the fact.

Boolit Master

Check fuse diagram. Power port went off when key did, but there was an extra leg beside the fuse for the power port, shifted over to the third leg.
    Power when key was off.
    The procedure was in the owners manual. The dealership said it could not be done!!!!!!
    2022/23 Dodge ram.

I want a dash camera just can't figure out which one I want to get!
    For truck and motorcycle!

Boolit Master

Doug Guy believe me I have been there I bumped a car one night that kept trying to run my Vega off the road even when I slowed to get away from him . He had a new Grand Prix I had a piece of Junk Vega the bumper damaged his right rear quarter and he sped off .

With all you know now would the camera have made a difference to what happened?

Here in Michigan (Lapeer) a guy made a comment very close to yours on facebook and a month later he was confronted by a drunk driver and shot him . The judge allowed the post to be seen by the Jury so what really should have been self defense ended up as murder. I do hope he appeals and wins he does not deserve prison for what happened .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    So I got a dash cam.
    Installed it, and it's up and running................I think.
    One thing I have a question about.
    chinese junk, so instructions are strange.
    It says to plug it into the cigg lighter.
    Done.
    But on my car, the lighter is not live if the key is off.
    I'm thinking the cam needs power all the time, but have no idea.
    I'm thinking the can would go off after a while of no movement, unless I turn it off.
    But if I have to turn it off, wouldn't I be doing the samething as it's doing now???
    Several months ago I installed them in our two main vehicles. The instructions called for two sources of power. One is hot all the time and works if something damages the car while you are not in the car and the engine is not running. The other is hot when the key is on and you are driving. If I had chosen to use the cigarette plug it would only have worked then the car key was on.....mine work great!
    Last edited by buckwheatpaul; 11-10-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    He had a new Grand Prix I had a piece of Junk Vega the bumper damaged his right rear quarter and he sped off .

With all you know now would the camera have made a difference to what happened?
    Yeah you would have had a license plate number and a record of him committing road rage against you. If nothing else the state police could run his plate and find a stolen vehicle, someone with warrants on them, a previous criminal record of domestic abuse or assault, be surprised who is sharing the same lane with you.

Boolit Master

Doug Guy Such cameras did not exist at the time both Pontiac Grand Prix) and Vega cars are long gone , I was working second shift and got out at 2 AM many drunks on the road then . Actually the worst time I ever drove home was getting off at midnight it seemed to be the time drunks went from on bar to the next . It was the only time I did bump one. I had just gotten the Vega from a coworkers sister I have often wondered if it was someone looking for her ?

I have found that drunks tend to stay near another car either close behind or next to to stay the same speed before most cars/trucks had cruise control . I found it was handy having a CB to report drunks that were real hazards I have not used a CB in years I wonder if police still monitor the channels ? Because I just got the car I had not put in CB yet .

Boolit Grand Master
    I always forget to put the brand in post.
    Getting old.
    It's a Yansoo, Mod B09JW67L73.

I think I found the problem.
    Seems the only way to recharge the non-replaceable battery, is to plug a USB into the back of the lighter end of the power cord.
    So unless you have a really long USB cord, or don't mind leaving the computer over night outside, you'll have to take the power cord out.
    That means pulling the cord back out of the headliner, pillar panel, under the dash, just to charge the battery.
    The battery that does not charge when the car is off.
    I don't drive everyday, so the battery is charged only while driving.
    So far everytime I drive, the "low battery" warning comes on.
    It cannot be charged using any other cord.
    I've tried several different ways to get the darn red light to blink, showing it is charging.
    Even hooking it up to 12v all the time will not charge the battery.
    Just another chinese junk.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I always forget to put the brand in post.
    Getting old. It's a Yansoo, Mod B09JW67L73.
    Just another chinese junk.
    I really like the Red Tiger F7NP I have them in my Nissan truck, and I put them in the wife's Toyota. Front and back. I would recommend them to anyone looking. They SEEM to have excellent support, and they have a facebook page that you can message them for support as well. It may not be a live chat, although sometimes you do get a live one, but if you message them with a valid concern they will respond shortly.