WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a Ruger #1

Boolit Buddy

What to do with a Ruger #1

I've got a Ruger #1 that the previous owner has made into a heavy barrel 204 Ruger benchrest? gun. I'm not a fan of the 204 and prefer a bore 35 or over. I'm thinking of something straight wall in the 375 range. I have a 375 Win so other than that. Any one have any experience with a wildcat in that range? It will be used for fun shooting and deer hunting 200 yards and closer.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

How about the 9.3x74R? It is good for killing wild hogs out to 250yds. and the recoil is not too bad.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Grand Master
    40-65 or 400 Whelen if you want to go a bit bigger or 38-56 if you want to stay at .375. IIRC, there was a wildcat that used x74r brass, but .375 bullets instead of .366" bullets. There is always the .45 raptor too
    Last edited by rockrat; 11-07-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    .38-55 fits your straight wall, but a Ruger No.1 is kind of wasted on that cartridge.

Someone on this board has a .375 based on a necked down .45-70 with fairly sharp shoulders. Maybe in the single shot section? It sounds like fun anyway.

Robert

Banned

want power and still ruger. 375 ruger. or its not a 35 but ive always wanted a 338/06

Boolit Master

How about the 9.3x74R?
    I have one in this caliper, my NOE cast boolet hits same point of aim as factory 286 gr ammo, at 100 yards. Haven't shot past this. Falling tree took out our 200 yd back stop.
    I like the Ruger No1 and the 9.3

Boolit Buddy
    I think the 356 Win. has a lot of potential and never got the attention it should have, especially among single shot fans. Or, go with the rimless version - 358 Win.

Two ways to go, re-barrel or have the harvey barrel re-bored and re-cut to a .358. There are many good choices for a single shot #1 action with a rimless extractor, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, etc. the 204 extractor in the gun could be opened up to fit a .473 base. The 358s based on the 308 or 30-06 are easy to form, dies are cheap, plus the 358s have a ton of bullets to select from.
    You could ask Jess about a re-bore
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    The 375 on a 45-70 case is a 38-56, but not the sharp shoulder. How about a 375/338 Marlin Express. Would be a rimmed case like a 375/06. Only drawback is these are not straight wall cases, which you are looking for. I am surmising to use to hunt with in the states that require such. Then I would lean towards the 9.3x74r, but would check with the state to make sure its legal.
    If 405 Win brass was still available, I would suggest that, but its almost impossible to fine.
    What about the 400 legend that Winchester was supposed to introduce?

Having built two 338-06 rifles in the past, it is powerful, easy to shoot, easy to open up case necks, easy to load for, and very accurate at 200yds and more. The 250 Nosler is well suited for this case and 4350 powder is all that one needs for 2550fps. Moose, elk, deer or bears are easy prey for this case and bullet.

What about a .357 Maximum? Lottsa punch. And If memory serves me, I think that you could shoot .38's & .357 mag's for plinking.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

45-70! Brass is readily available and there’s no shortage of bullets from light to heavy, cast or jacketed. Can be loaded from Cat Sneeze level to loads suitable for Cape Buffalo. Load data is easy to come by. There’s hardly any other cartridge with the versatility a 45-70 offers, especially in a #1. There are those that say it’s a boring cartridge, but keep in mind, vanilla is a flavor too!
    Last edited by Castaway; 11-07-2023 at 08:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not straight walled but the 35 Whelen would be my choice. For straight walled the 45/70 is hard to beat. Check brass availability and die price for the oddball stuff.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

How about a 416 Taylor!

Shoots great with castboolits.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    My hunting is in Louisiana and Michigan. I don't need a magnum level cartridge. I like large lead moving at comfortable velocites. The 45 Raptor is the most interesting as I load 480 Ruger. I had a No 1 in 9.3x74 and loved it. I shoot a pc'd 286 gr bullet from it. It belongs to a daughter now so I can have it any time.
    I've never owned a 338 so the 338-06 is interesting too.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

Have you looked at the .25 Sharps it is the .223 necked up to .25 caliber and might fill the need you want and will not need a new extractor . The same would be true of the .350 legend same case head your gun has may even be able to rebore and chamber the same barrel ...
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

348 Winchester ?

Just a thought, as I was recently reading about the caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    No pizzass, but .358 Win has a lot of good things going for it if you are not married to straight wall calibers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    375 on a 45-70 is a GNR #2 Reeder already does it I have a Lever Gun and Ruger no1 in that caliber they are very good easy to make potent cartridge. Great with cast bullets as well.

I would shop for brass first. Once you have secured brass then make the decision based on what you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast